Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 11/7/2001 9:27:07 AM EDT
Aside from the obvious, (ammo, canteen, cleaning kit/parts, knife, matches) what else is deemed necessary.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:31:17 AM EDT
Enough MRE's in the buttpack for a weeks worth of the squirts, a couple travel packs of kleenex to wipe with, mess kit, racing spoon, esbit stove with triox bars.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:32:00 PM EDT
- compass - couple of bandages in a small pouch on the front where they are easy to get to in a hurry and under stress - more bandages and some ibuprofen, sudafed and imodium in the buttpack along with a compact water filter and a weeks worth of MRE entrees - poncho strapped to buttpack - 50' of parachute cord down at the bottom of the buttpack. - maybe compact binoculars and/or GPS - I like to keep a red LED light attached to the shoulder strap by a short lanyard. - One canteen, one entrenching tool, and a camelback or hydrastorm to carry more water. Some people say to drop the canteens completely and only use the camleback, but I don't want to be thristy because the bag sprung a leak. Besides, canteens are easier to use for washing debris out of your eyes. The knife doesn't go on the web gear, it goes on the pants belt so you'll have it with you even if you have to ditch the web gear. Some MRE entrees and lifeboat matches should also be in the pants pockets for the same reason.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:49:38 PM EDT
G.P.S.,Maps of PA and my surrounding states,Ranger hand book(laminated)
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:08:31 PM EDT
Just switched over from the old LBE to the LBV-"Enhanced"(whatever that means). Too many pockets to figure out where to put everything for awhile. Does anyone know where/how to secure the top of the fanny pack to the vest? The old suspenders used to snap into the top rings of the pack but the new vest has nothing to connect with except a couple of plastic rings that I could probably secure the pack to with 550 cord.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:52:41 PM EDT
Chocolate Imodium - already mentioned but invaluable Second Skin Iodine/water purifier Electrolyte (Gatorade/Gookinade) I avoid the 3-lies-in-one (they arent Meals, not Ready and sure aint to Eat) Had the same fear Hop has of Camelbaks. But Ive been trying to bust the same one for years Mt Biking and Ive failed. Not sure how many more flat back landings [i]I[/i] can survive , but looks like the camelbacks tougher than me. Camelbak is a bitch to fill from anything but a faucet tho. Platypus makes a bag that'll fit in SOE's canteen cover. Luck Alac Weight is not your friend
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:34:34 PM EDT
Motrin No-Doz Bandages Copenhagen/Skoal Compass
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 2:28:50 PM EDT
Had the same fear Hop has of Camelbaks. But Ive been trying to bust the same one for years Mt Biking and Ive failed. Not sure how many more flat back landings [i]I[/i] can survive , but looks like the camelbacks tougher than me.
View Quote
It's not just the bag itself that I'm concerned about. If the tube or bite valve gets lost or damaged then it is equally worthless no matter how sturdy the bag itself is. If *anything* in the system gets damaged then I want to have some kind of a backup.
Camelbak is a bitch to fill from anything but a faucet tho. Platypus makes a bag that'll fit in SOE's canteen cover.
View Quote
I'll have to check that out. One of the reasons I like the regular plastic canteens, in addition to being a backup, is that you can simply open them up, put the opening to your eye and tilt your head back to completely flush out any dirt, grit or chemicals. It isn't so easy to do that with the Camelback. Speaking of SOE's canteen cover, Lightfighter just sent me one (or was it two?) and a Hydrastorm Predator. I'm looking forward to adding them to my gear. Now if he'd just get in the shoulder straps that are on backorder... [:)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:33:16 AM EDT
I know there are a lot of South African LBV fans here so I thought I'd post some info about a cool mod I found at www.jayjays.com: [img]members.aol.com/boudjada/sadpm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:51:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Beagle: Does anyone know where/how to secure the top of the fanny pack to the vest? The old suspenders used to snap into the top rings of the pack but the new vest has nothing to connect with except a couple of plastic rings that I could probably secure the pack to with 550 cord.
View Quote
Beagle, I used ty-raps (AKA zip-ties) to secure the rings on the buttpack to the plastic D-rings on the vest. This keeps the loaded buttpack from drooping down under its weight.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:53:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/9/2001 7:48:11 AM EDT by riddler]
pair of socks space age thermal blanket
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:23:39 AM EDT
Top Top