Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 11:25:44 AM EDT
I just recently upgraded my windows 95 to windows 98 and now that I have put windows 98 on my computer none of my games will work.  When I go into a game the screen goes black like it is going into the game, but then it will just go back to the desktop.  Can anyone help me get this fixed?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just recently upgraded my windows 95 to windows 98 and now that I have put windows 98 on my computer none of my games will work.  When I go into a game the screen goes black like it is going into the game, but then it will just go back to the desktop.  Can anyone help me get this fixed?
View Quote

I'm sure others who know more will chime in, but did you upgrade your drivers?  What kind of hardware are you using.  What games?  Are they DOS-based games?

It would be helpful to know these things to answer your question.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
My computer is a p2 333 gateway 2000 with 64mb of ram the game is rogue spear and it isnt dos based.  I dont know what a driver is.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Drivers or a piece of software that tell your hardware(video card) how to run. When you upgraded to win 98 it probaly installed it drivers.
What you need to do is find out what video card you have and download new drivers and install them.
Also when you find out what video card you have post it. Look in control pannel- system-hardware- video card and see what it says.

Clinth
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a Mac!

Why?

The box said Windows 98 or Better.

[:P]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Drivers or a piece of software that tell your hardware(video card) how to run. When you upgraded to win 98 it probaly installed it drivers.
What you need to do is find out what video card you have and download new drivers and install them.
Also when you find out what video card you have post it. Look in control pannel- system-hardware- video card and see what it says.

Clinth
View Quote

I have a voodoo 3 video card.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a voodoo 3 video card.
View Quote

Well, there you go!  You need to always download the latest video driver for your card.  You probably got a compatible driver with your card under 95, but Win98 loaded it's compatible driver... which wont work for your games.

Therefore:

Download the latest driver for your V3/Win98:

[url]http://www.3dfx.com/downloads.htm[/url]

Install that, then set your desktop to the screen resolution and color depth you prefer.

Then try your game again.  

Some games require the desktop color depth not to be beyond 65000 colors.  Try that.

Some game keep video settings... and now that your driver has changed, the saved settings are not applicable.  Re-install the game.

OS upgrades are ugly.  I NEVER do them.  Always back up data, format, reinstall OS, update hardware drivers, reinstall apps, restore data.

It's a lot of work, but it makes for a fast, clean, system.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
" I dont know what a driver is"

I think we found the problem....

kidding....

It does sound like the video driver.  download latest version-which may even be from 1999 or something, but if it is the latest, and for win 98 you should be good- be sure to save your really important data-the stuff you cant live witout-before any upgrades.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the new driver like others have said and also get the latest version of DirectX for Win98 off the microsoft site.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#9]
As mentioned earlier, be sure to update your DirectX after you get the right video drivers [url]www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads/default.asp[/url].  Most games act strange if you have old DirectX.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top