Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2001 6:44:00 AM EDT
According to General [b]DICK[/b] Myers, Air Force puke extrordinaire and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, it would something of a suprise if you had such a multisyllabic term in your vocabulary!  If you saw him on [i]Meet the Press[/i] Sunday make this comment you'll know what I mean.

Well, [b]DICK[/b], I'm sure there are a lot of things about the Marine Corp that might suprise you.  Like the fact that they have been busy preparing for realistic operations in the post Cold War world for a decade while the Air Force has been whining for more F-22s and Stealth Bombers to defeat an enemy that today qualifies for FOOD STAMPS!  I know a little interservice rivalry and friendly jabs are the closest you Space Warriors  get to real combat but for Chr*st's sake, you're the Chairman of the [b]JOINT[/b] Chiefs of Staff.  Show some composure and leadership!  Haven't you heard, there's a WAR on?!?

[RANT OFF]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Off the top of my head, I believe "eviscerate" means cut the gut, or viscera, open.

I didn't hear his comment. He said that Marines wouldn't have a multisyllabic word in their vocabulary? I hope General Jones kicks his ass at the next Joint Chiefs smoker night.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]
eviscerate

1:to remove entrails of

2:to deprive of vital content or force

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
e-vis-cer-ate...1. to remove the entrails from; disembowel, hence, 2. to deprive of an essential part; take away the force, significance, etc. of.

Jarhead_22 wins the prize [:D]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Eviscerate:
By use of the bayonet mounted on a rifle, the act of slashing at the enemies abdomen causing his mongrel guts to spill out onto the ground and his miserable third world life to drain from his body.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I step down in favor of Sukebe. His definition is far more complete and precise than mine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Eviscerate:
By use of the bayonet mounted on a rifle, the act of slashing at the enemies abdomen causing his mongrel guts to spill out onto the ground and his miserable third world life to drain from his body.
View Quote

You definitely need to start working for Merriam-Webster. That beats the shit out of their definition.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a followup.  General Myers said he was suprised that a Marine knew what 'eviscerate' meant in reference to a comment a Marine general made about our strikes against the Taliban.  He meant it in humor, I guess, but you know, some guys just can't tell a joke and General Myers is one of 'em.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, what DarkNite said.  Had he grinned while saying it, or followed it with "just kidding", it would have come across better.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Eviscerate:
View Quote

WOO HOO!  Hard Corps!

Frequently on this site you will hear people say that the thing that sets a Marine apart from the other services is the marksmanship training.

While the above is certainly true, at least for me, what really sets the Marine apart is his willingness to close with the enemy and destroy them.  And certainly the epitome (ooh! another multi-syllabic word from a Marine) of this is the bayonet.  Many are willing to kill from a distance.  Few are willing to stand close enough to smell the enemy's stinking breath and thrust home the steel.  It's a hard thing to do.  Not many can.  It's why we are;

The Few, The Proud, The Marines.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#10]
BTT to stir it up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife and I were watching this, and when he said that she just loooked at me and watched me go OFF on the television.....

Fucking Flyboys.

Semper Fi

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#12]
To open one up from 'soup to nuts' as my Granddad used to say... (I still grin when I hear that).
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw the General on that show and I thought it kind of odd.  I thought he was an Army guy for a second since following the Marine crack he said he doubted an Air Force officer would get it either.  (It sounded like someone gave him that line to use.) I haven't heard him much before but Myers sounds like he would deliver jokes like Raymond in the movie "Rain Man".  I can almost here him saying:

I'm a very good airplane driver.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Or "These are definitely not my underpants."
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Kpel, you have got the right mind set (see, no words bigger than one syllable [;)])!

BTW, Shinseki is [i]still[/i] the Army Chief or Staff [V].  The previous Chairman of the JCS was General Hugh Shelton, a previous CINC of SOCOM, whose fearsome countenance on Sept 11th epitomized the fury I felt as well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here is what we do:  We locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and the NATURAL AGGRESSIVENESS OF THE [b]UNITED STATES MARINE![/b]

You gut the sucker with your bare hands, strangle him with his entrails, then use his effin' ribs to pick your teeth!!

With all due respect, General, [size=6][b][i][red]GET SOME OF [u]THIS[/u], YOU ZOOMIE PRICK![-!-][/red][/i][/b][/size=6]
View Quote

Well said, my brother.
S/F
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#19]
'EVISCERATE'

Don't need to know what it means...just need to know how to do it...

So why is it that the Commandant of the Corps has never been the Chairman of the JCS, or has there been one that I am unaware of?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

BTW, Shinseki is [i]still[/i] the Army Chief or Staff [V].  The previous Chairman of the JCS was General Hugh Shelton, a previous CINC of SOCOM, whose fearsome countenance on Sept 11th epitomized the fury I felt as well.
View Quote

Shamed to say this bastard (Shinseki) is in my branch (WTF, wants to wear the black beret, won't serve in a unit that earned it, so he ISSUES it!! HANG MY HEAD!)

kpel308- well said!
BTW, Marines ain't the only up-close-and-personal types- I carry several custom knives and a couple of tomahawks (NOT the missile kind).

[b][size=1]Don Out[/size=1][/b]
[b][size=4][red]AIRBORNE!
2/505 PIR
H-MINUS[/red][/size=4][/b]

[i]You might be Airborne if... you have ever demonstrated a PLF in front of the company coffee pot. - John "Doc" Horton[/i]
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#21]
The Marines have never had a chairman of the JCS.  It probably stems from the notion that most Marines although they may be competent are extremists compared to the other services.
The commandant could not be the chairman of the JCS, he is a service chief.  And sits on the JCS.
In the selection process for the current chairman of the JCS, a Marine for the first time was the runner up, but his chances were supposedly hurt by a complaint of a unfriendly command climate to women at his command.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top