Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2001 6:42:18 PM EDT
Supposed to be on in an hour and 20..... (it is this Sunday, right?) Have you East coast guys already watched it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
its on now but im taping it
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, just finished.

Pretty good guys, pretty good.

This episode sets the stage for the meat tommorrow night.

Nothing anti-gun to report.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I just watched it. I think it's ok, although it's at parts a bit too melodramatic. It's too mini-series-ish, I've seen better movies portraying the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. There's this French film named Au nom des tous les miens. It's very good.

It seemed to me that for the most part the characters are too stoic, and too melodramatic at key moments. It's just weird. If I were the German commander I wouldn't even send my men into the ghetto (think of Harlem). I'd just ask them to come out and if they don't we won't send in any food.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched another movie about this a while back. I believe 1993 or so. That was a very good movie. This movie was OK, but not great. i hope the 2nd Half is better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I think part of the problem with this series is seeing all the familiar faces in unlikely roles. Hank Azaria and David Schwimer as freedom fighters? It's a stretch. They really should have used unknown actors who were really appropriate for the parts. Liam Neeson was an unknown when he did "Schindler's List", and that was a distinsct asset.

Still, I am pleasantly surprised that NBC hasn't embedded an anti-gun message in the plot — Yet! There's still plenty of time to ruin this series...
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not bad so far, except for some expected melodrama, as noted already. I don't see how NBC can anti- it up, given that the guns were how they held off the Germans. They may surprise me with their cleverness in finding a way, though. We'll see tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The previews reminded me of the account provided in 'Unintended Consequences'.

Watched just a few minutes at the start, & taped to view later.  

For those who read the book, how do they compare/contrast.  Any mention of the initial disarmament? .......
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
So far so good. But some noted exaggerations. And a few "questionables"?

I didn't think ANYONE got out of the ghetto, I thought arms were smuggled in by sympathetic outsiders.

And in the previews I see them making "claymore" style explosives. Did anything like this really happen? I understood it to be molotov cocktails and firearms.

I don't believe the level of sophistication portrayed was possible under the circumstances. And over dramatizing events hurts their credibility.

This was a huge problem with the miniseries "Holocaust." The story was "fictional"(ie. pure bullshit), and portrayed events as "history." Problem is many accepted the gross exaggerations as history, and many who are anti semetic discounted the entire event. This even laid the groundwork for Holocaust deniers. When someone says "The Holocaust never happened", they are correct "if" they are referring to the miniseries.

I just hate hollywood distortions of history. Accurate understanding of history is difficult enough without it being spun to serve various agendas.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Steyr, before the show Dateline or whatever it was had an interview with a guy who fought for a while, then was assigned to find a way out. By the time he got out through the (nasty) sewers, then got back in to tell everyone, most were dead and the city was in flames. He hooked up with I think 3 or 4 survivors that he could find, and took them back out through the sewers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Taped the first part, will do same with 2nd half.

Strangely, the first part of the show didn't mention that the Nazis used firearm registries and draconian penalties for firearm ownership to disarm the Jews and others as they rolled across Europe.  That would appear to be a major plot element, given that the show is about armed resistance and given the difficulties encountered in arming the resistance fighters.

Here is some original source material which documents the difficulties in obtaining firearms, among other things:

[URL]http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Holocaust/warsawtoc.html[/URL]

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Forgetting the minor details I feel this is great timing considering the events of the last few months. Of course this depends on how NBC handles the second half. So far I have focused on what I feel is the theme of the show. SOLIDARITY. I mention this because for 5 years I have been involved with on line discussion groups and IMHO it doesn't take much to side track the discussions from the focal point of FREEDOM. And you can't have freedom without solidarity.
As far as historical accuracy, who cares if any got out alive. The important lesson is they died on their feet fighting instead of being lead like cattle to their demise in the chambers. My only hope is that we as, decendants of freedom fighter, join together before will are carted of to the chambers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There was ZERO mention of disarmament.
View Quote

Exactly, but I was not really expecting them too.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Was anyone else seriously annoyed at the commercials?

I mean, one second the Jews are fighting for their lives against the Nazis, and the next second a talking lobster is trying to sell you fabric softener.

The contrast was MUCH worse than normal network programming, and I found it rather offensive.  I realize the networks lost a lot of income due to the 24x7 news coverage after 9-11, but for something like this, you'd think they would have the class they showed for [u]Schindler's List[/u] and play it without commercial interruptions -- just find a few major sponsors.  Or at least limited interruptions, with some sponsors that showed a little taste in their ad selections. . . .
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:00:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok,
he is some gun mistakes I saw.
One. The bolt action Mauser that did not have any need to work the bolt!
Also, lots did not put the stock into their shoulder!
Do lugars have a hammer to cock?
Also, some of the pistols used looked like PPK's.

c-rock
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do lugars have a hammer to cock?
Also, some of the pistols used looked like PPK's.

c-rock
View Quote

No external hammer on a luger. Load the round and it's cocked.

PPKs were around and predated the P38.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Was anyone else seriously annoyed at the commercials?

I mean, one second the Jews are fighting for their lives against the Nazis, and the next second a talking lobster is trying to sell you fabric softener.

The contrast was MUCH worse than normal network programming, and I found it rather offensive.  I realize the networks lost a lot of income due to the 24x7 news coverage after 9-11, but for something like this, you'd think they would have the class they showed for [u]Schindler's List[/u] and play it without commercial interruptions -- just find a few major sponsors.  Or at least limited interruptions, with some sponsors that showed a little taste in their ad selections. . . .
View Quote

Yes!! Holy crap how many times did we have to see that stupid commercial with the Tae Chi fags in the park with the "cute" dog.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top