Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2001 6:19:03 PM EDT
Man, that was awesome! I I don't think I've been that moved in awhile. Powerfull stuff for sure.
I can't believe it's over already. I've looked forward to it on Sunday every week.

I guess we still get one more episode next week, with the documentary with interviews of the people who actually were there. I can't wait.

Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It was great....brings a tear to your eye at times....HBO did a great job....

E
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I really liked it! what gets me is we were killing germans but after the surrender we were
friends WHY? does not make any sence. the last
time i boo hooed was when old yeller got shot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Not yet.  Get the tape tomorrow. Don't spoil it for me.

Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Killer episode. They were all great. Best piece of work ever on HBO.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
what gets me is we were killing germans but after the surrender we were friends WHY? does not make any sense
View Quote

Don't forget that soldiers don't always "hate" the enemy, but fight because they have orders to. There are lots of cases of enemies behaving in a friendly fashion to each other when not engaged in combat. Most of those guys on both sides were probably just happy the war was over and they didn't have to fight anymore.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry to see it over, it was an excellent series. I looked forward to Sunday night TV now it's back to the same old crap. I can't wait for the Sapronos to return.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't tell me how it ends, i'm on the west coast and still have 90 minutes before it starts.
btw it was a fast 10 weeks.

Tom
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The opening scene listed the location as "Zell Am See".  While it probably wasn't really filmed there, I visited it once, and it is truly a beautiful place.  But then again, so is most of Austria.  Really enjoyed the series.  It does make me sad to think about all that those men went through, and what our country has now become.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
That was one kick ass documentary how will I spend my sunday nights now??
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome. I taped a 2 hour Stephen Ambrose documentary on the history channel a couple months ago. Gonna put it on the end of Tape 2 of the complete series.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I won't see it or read about it
Who can send me tapes of all of it?
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The opening scene listed the location as "Zell Am See".  While it probably wasn't really filmed there, I visited it once, and it is truly a beautiful place.  But then again, so is most of Austria.  Really enjoyed the series.  It does make me sad to think about all that those men went through, and what our country has now become.  
View Quote

What our country has now become?  Well, considering most of those men were so tough and hard-bitten because they were FORCED to be by enduring the Great Depression, and considering that their generation worked so hard to make sure that their children would never have to go through anything like that, I don't think they are or would be too sad about "what our country has now become."  Yes, there are problems, but I hope you are neither so naive nor so historically ignorant that you think there was a period in the history of this country where they were no problems.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent episode, very moving.  I think there is one more BOB left.   Isn't there going to be an interview with the actual Easy Co. vets in a week or 2?

Wish they would have put a couple of more scenes in this one though.  Nixon on the moring after VE Day would have been a classic (world class hangover) and when a couple of men tested the bulletproof glass on Hitlers staff car with a Garand.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wanna know if that one guy that got shotin the head lived?
View Quote

Yes he did.

I was very moved, got all choked up. Especially at the end when the few survivors spoke their little bit.

For those that haven't already done so, give a donation to the WWII Memorial. If you know of someone who served you can make sure their name gets on the registry.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I loved the whole series. And the way the last episode blended into the actual veterans at the end was awesome. DVD's!, I can't wait.

Don't forget the real footage companion next week on Veterans day. More interviews from the heroes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I think my favorite scene was at the table when the German officer was being told how his men were to surrender their weapons, and he volunteered to surrender his Luger.

Major (Winston?) stood and respectfully told him he could keep his sidearm and saluted him.

That's class.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I really liked it! what gets me is we were killing germans but after the surrender we were
friends WHY? does not make any sence. the last
time i boo hooed was when old yeller got shot.
View Quote

The book describes that most of the men (most) said they felt they could identify with the Germans more than any other country in Europe...the Germans were very work oriented, their homes were much like what Americans were used to, in general the American GI saw more of himself in the average German.  Maybe it was in the thinking, not sure, read the book, its great.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#20]
It was incredible.  I can't wait until next week at 8:30 when they have the special with all the guys it was based on talking about it.

Major (Winston?) stood and respectfully told him he could keep his sidearm and saluted him.
View Quote
 That was damn cool.  

The feeling they must have had when they reached the top.  

Also at the very end when the veteran was talking about his grandson asking the question, "Were you a hero?"  "No, but I served in a company of heroes."  
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#21]
If you fellows like BOB try reading "Citizen Soldiers" and "A Time for Trumpets".  The first is similar in scope to BOB and later concerns the Battle of the Bulge.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Best damn TV series ever made.
For those that have questions, recommend buying the book.  It's a great read.  Dr. Ambrose goes into much more detail about a lot of things.  Sgt. Grant did live, despite the worthless Army quack who simply gave up on him.  Captain Spiers found a German neurosurgeon in a nearby town that saved his life.
The German that Leibgot and the others shot was in fact a Nazi camp commander, hiding out trying to evade capture.  He deserved killing in the worst way.
After Easy company got down kicking the crap out of the drunken bum who shot the Brit major, his sergeant, sergeant Grant and the two Germans, they turned him over to the MPs.  The MPs almost beat him to death the next day.  Never did find out whether he hanged or not...my guess is he did.
Captain Winters was put in for the Congressional Medal of Honor for his D-Day attack on the German 105 howitzer battery that was beating up Utah beach.  The 101st was only allowed two CMH's for D-Day and they went to others.
Great book...much more neat stuff in it.  Greatest soldiers I ever read about.  Amazing men.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
BOB was amazing. I can't wait for the dvd. I plan on sitting my father ( 4 bronze stars from Luzon, Leyte Guly, Manila where he was wounded and Corregidor , Japan victory medal, and others) down in front of my 60 inch big screen as I did for Saving Private Ryan. He was in the 564th Engineer Special Brigade and landed on more beaches than he can remember, and he says the beginning scene of SPR was relatively realistic, only that there weren't enough Landing craft destroyed by mortar, howitzer or tank rounds...oh and let's not forget the submerged mines.

My question is this: When are Spielberg and Hanks gonna realize there was a Pacific theatre during the big one? My father and many others shed blood from New Guinea northward to Okinawa and the only recent film was that piece of crap A thin line or something. It's time the men who fought in the heat and malaria-ridden jungles of the South Pacific get the Spielberg war treatment. If anyone wants a comparison of German genocide vs. Japanese, ask China.

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#24]
It was a great episode just bad timing for me.  I learned that my great uncle Robert died Saturday morning.  He was a WW2 Army vet that liberated a camp in Germany too.  Kinda made the episode more personal to me.  Being that he was the only one of my uncles that I ever got to meet.  Even my Grandfather died before I was born.  I remember when I was young, him letting me hold his walther that he brought back from the war.  I was really the only member of the family he ever talked about the war with.  Closest thing to a Grandfather I ever had.  Made watching the ending really hard.   I have only cried a few times in my life but last night was one of them.  Listening to those guys talk was like listening to him.  It made me proud to have known him and feel really bad that I can't make it back to the east coast for his funeral.

Rest in Peace Uncle Bobby you earned it.

jim
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Darien Lewis did an outstanding job as Major Winters. He should get an Emmy. If parts of that show doesn't make you proud to be an American, then you shouldn't be one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
what gets me is we were killing germans but after the surrender we were friends WHY? does not make any sense
View Quote

Don't forget that soldiers don't always "hate" the enemy, but fight because they have orders to. There are lots of cases of enemies behaving in a friendly fashion to each other when not engaged in combat. Most of those guys on both sides were probably just happy the war was over and they didn't have to fight anymore.
View Quote

Ya, I was actually kind of suprised how in the last episode, the German soldiers weren't depicted as the devil incarnate. Something you don't see very often on tv or in the movies.

I thought the scene where Winters let him keep the pistol was great. But the scene where the German Commander made the speech to his troops was very moving. Say what you want about Hitler and the Nazi party, but the life of a soldier is fairly universal. And it was nice that they paid tribute to that, even on the German side.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]
A couple of months ago I had to go to Toccoa GA on business. I Have been going ther for over 10 years and did not know the history of the place. I had a couple of hours to hill so I drove to Curahee and they have a monument there. I also drove to the top of the mountain. It was an awe inspiring moment.
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MQAAAGsQwH5BaKRwsb8ZQn1Vp3KIwRN2tfsToDPq1hC*byPHBTpWkxCrVCtcRKg5d4Pq8RkkmME8H3pEqZ5uOQ/P9300479small.jpg[/img]
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MQAAAGQQqX1BaKRwsb8ZQvwFiYW4mJVjg6ccv!FxX8b27S!rHpHwfIsfXvWgZXwvIQ4sU4B9ka7wwalvLbZksw/P9300481small.jpg[/img]
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MQDsD2YQ!X1BaKRwsb8ZQi5F3b6rXwiwMsvq!t5VT8W69g4IamExJqCTU2p9CSD9d3U2ieRUnP84aYRFzLyBaA/P9300483small.jpg[/img]
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MQAAAGsQwX5BaKRwsb8ZQggqx5NJ7U9cYGWk8mLlNy3juzYiXxQJsQ5giEuwbrRgJcIOufWJ5Dip4xKd!WimoA/P9300488small.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#28]
In retrospect, I really wish I had recorded the whole series.  Hopefully they'll rerun it sometime in the near future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top