Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2001 1:17:03 PM EDT
That's it people.. I have had enough of these threats.. First the anthrax and now this SUPPOSED threat to CA bridges.. what's next?? How does the Government expect us to get back to normal if they bombard us with news on anthrax and threats???(Granted its the news media whose up to most of it, but the "new threat on america" with higher security warning from the government didn't help us much either..) Plus, I am really beginning to feel for the fire fighters because their lungs are probably shot for helping to find their own fellow men.. What about the people who live near the site?? The air quality is clearly in question also and I wonder when I will ever be able to visit NYC again... Sorry for venting but these are important issues that the media is neglecting like the air quality issue.. Is it really safe in NYC??? Opinions and comments please.. -Andrea
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:23:38 PM EDT
Is it really safe anywhere? i would ignore rumors, there just rumors. if you live your life scared all the time you'll just become one of those paranoid right-wing extremists and live in a compound with a stash of beenie weenies. [bounce]lib
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:26:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By libertarian: Is it really safe anywhere? i would ignore rumors, there just rumors. if you live your life scared all the time you'll just become one of those paranoid right-wing extremists and live in a compound with a stash of beenie weenies. [bounce]lib
View Quote
I'm not scared, just sick of it all...
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:49:31 PM EDT
Sick ?? Try some pepto bismal and a nap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:50:00 PM EDT
i Know, i should have addressed the rest of the paragraph to general. not you specifically. also it is in jest.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:05:01 PM EDT
This is one faction of Terrorism, to inflict terror. When we get to the pont where we are afraid to walk outside, they have won. When we are afraid to open our mail, they have won. When we are afraid to drive over bridges, they have won. F__k them!!! You're gonna die sometime. Excuse me while I go outside, park on a bridge and read my mail. [bounce]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:08:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Vinnie: This is one faction of Terrorism, to inflict terror. When we get to the pont where we are afraid to walk outside, they have won. When we are afraid to open our mail, they have won. When we are afraid to drive over bridges, they have won. F__k them!!! You're gonna die sometime. Excuse me while I go outside, park on a bridge and read my mail. [bounce]
View Quote
That's a good point..They haven't won yet, but I think alot of people are worrying over nothing about the terror threats.. However, I feel that NYC air quality is a legit concern..anyone else agree??
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:10:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Blonde_BombShell: That's it people.. I have had enough of these threats.. First the anthrax and now this SUPPOSED threat to CA bridges.. what's next??
View Quote
Well, first of all, I know the "That's it!" is borne out of frustration. I think we're all frustrated. In my case, it a frustration of trying to figure out what I can do to help (I found a way, now I need to find the time) Secondly, yes you can say it's an "alleged" threat to bridges on the west coast, but stop and think for a moment, what would your reaction be if "they" didn't tell anyone, and something happened and you found out that the threat had been known prior?
How does the Government expect us to get back to normal if they bombard us with news on anthrax and threats???(Granted its the news media whose up to most of it, but the "new threat on america" with higher security warning from the government didn't help us much either..)
View Quote
Yes, this is a bit of a dichotomy. Frankly, I'd like to know. It's the old motto of "Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best" - and I can't prepare unless I know what the threats might be.
Plus, I am really beginning to feel for the fire fighters because their lungs are probably shot for helping to find their own fellow men.. What about the people who live near the site?? The air quality is clearly in question also and I wonder when I will ever be able to visit NYC again...
View Quote
I don't know, I've heard that the EPA has stated that there isn't any more danger now from air quality in NYC than there was previously. Yes, I would say during the first week that it wouldn't have been prudent to go, but now I think it would be ok.
Sorry for venting but these are important issues that the media is neglecting like the air quality issue.. Is it really safe in NYC??? Opinions and comments please.. -Andrea
View Quote
Well, you've got my opinions and comments. One last one on the air quality issue. If you're concerned about it, remember that there was a large amount of concern about the environment in Prince William Sound after the Exxon Valdez incident. And yes, there was some immediate damage, but the area has returned in the relatively few short years to a natural beauty. Sure there are still areas that can improve, but it's back. The same thing can be said about Mt. St. Helens here in Washington State. Everyone thought it would be nearly a century before the wildlife returned... it's been a lot shorter than that and there is plenty of wildlife back on the mountain. So, don't be too concerned, NYC will be ok, it might take a year or two before all the rubble is cleared and the memories are distant enough, but it will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 3:15:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/2/2001 3:11:32 PM EDT by Blonde_BombShell]
I agree with most of your post.. However, I am originally from 60 miles north of NYC and my parents still live there. My father has friends who live in NYC as well as people who commute and visit there. He has heard from several people that the air is still pretty bad down there(he heard as recently as a day ago), but the press doesn't tell you that because they don't want to alarm people. Makes you wonder...
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:04:09 PM EDT
It's probably safer than ever.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:12:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Blonde_BombShell: I agree with most of your post.. However, I am originally from 60 miles north of NYC and my parents still live there. My father has friends who live in NYC as well as people who commute and visit there. He has heard from several people that the air is still pretty bad down there(he heard as recently as a day ago), but the press doesn't tell you that because they don't want to alarm people. Makes you wonder...
View Quote
But is it really the air quality, or simply the smell. I can imagine (well, not really) that the smell of the burning jet fuel, building materials, and all the other (cough) things that burned when it went down, would be fairly bad. And yes, there are still some fires burning at the site (I'm told), so there may be areas downwind that you might not want to linger in, but I can't imagine completely avoiding the entire city for this reason.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:37:18 PM EDT
I don't have to imagine, it is horrible, the smell is horrible, the oils wells burning in the gulf where horrible. But this is NYC, this is my block, they attacked my hood. I live in Colorado but consider the USA my hood. Scared?, I have lived a pretty good life, the kids are grown, No I don't think I will let them scare me today.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:45:48 PM EDT
NYC has never been 'really safe', get on with your life, do things you would have done months ago. don't live in fear or frustration, don't let them win.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:20:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:35:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FL_BOY: NYC has never been 'really safe', get on with your life, do things you would have done months ago. don't live in fear or frustration, don't let them win.
View Quote
Safe? NYC is not even in the top ten when it comes to crime. Have you ever lived there? Maybe if you live in a manority "hood" it might not be to safe but then it is safer than most other hoods and if you get out of "the city" it is very safe,,crawl out of you cave..
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:38:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/3/2001 6:33:26 PM EDT by IronMike]
Originally Posted By Blonde_BombShell: I agree with most of your post.. However, I am originally from 60 miles north of NYC and my parents still live there. My father has friends who live in NYC as well as people who commute and visit there. He has heard from several people that the air is still pretty bad down there(he heard as recently as a day ago), but the press doesn't tell you that because they don't want to alarm people. Makes you wonder...
View Quote
bullshit the air has been fine...do your parents live 60 miles away or in the city,,let alone in the area of the wtc,,
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:14:09 PM EDT
No place can possibly be entirely immune from any and all possible malicious actions. But statistically speaking, shooting ranges are some of the safest places around. [rocket] As if anyone here needs an excuse to spend more time at the range.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:33:06 PM EDT
Speaking of which, I can't wait until tommorrow. Another sunny crisp Sunday in NY at the Calverton Range. Anyone else shooting tommorrow?
Top Top