Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2001 8:44:08 AM EDT
Store managers, please help me out with this:

Why do stores (hardware, gun, grocery, etc.) have such a hard time [b]displaying the prices[/b] of their products?  It's terribly annoying to waste time on a shopping trip trying to figure out how much something costs.  

[b]Most[/b] stores do a good job of putting the price on [b]most[/b] of their products, but there are many exceptions.  An example: earlier this week, I was at a local range and gun shop that was advertising a sale on "Remington shotguns and ammo".  They had a large stack of UMC .44 Magnum ammo prominently displayed -- without any signs or any price tags on the boxes.  I considered buying some, but I decided it wouldn't be worthwhile to hunt down a clerk to find out what the price was.  [:|]
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Because we like to size up the customer's wallet before giving them the price.

Isn't that pretty obvious.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a sales gimmick/strategy. They want to have the customer to have to speak to the sales staff. It's done by several dealers at local gunshows. I don't care for the practice, personally.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, it's a sales gimmick that I refuse to go for.  I won't buy from stores that don't display prices.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Because we like to size up the customer's wallet before giving them the price.

Isn't that pretty obvious.
View Quote

That's probably the case at some auto dealerships but I doubt my neighborhood grocery store is going to play that game with their endive and muffin mix. [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top