Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2001 11:04:14 PM EDT
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011028/capt.1004281931mideast_israel_palestinians_axlp104.jpg[/img]
An Israeli soldier aims his rifle at the direction of Palestinian positions securing the area of Rachel's Tomb, in the West Bank town of Bethlehem, Sunday Oct. 28, 2001. During the second week of Israel's taking over of Palestinian towns including Bethlehem, Orthodox Jews, under heavy security, marked the anniversary of the biblical mother Rachel's death by praying at her tomb. (AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesus that thing must be heavy. Sometimes less is more.

Kyle
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said. Get an M4 or get a .308.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:41:30 AM EDT
[#3]
that rifle is how some IDF units equip a "designated marksman" they are replacing Galils with Car-15s over there. and by CAR i mean 16inch lightweight 1/7. only high speed IDF units get M4s and they are highly coveted status symbols. ive trained with the IDF and let me tell ya...i didnt see 1, not ONE friggin Orlite mag in 5 weeks!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
that rifle is how some IDF units equip a "designated marksman" they are replacing Galils with Car-15s over there. and by CAR i mean 16inch lightweight 1/7. only high speed IDF units get M4s and they are highly coveted status symbols. ive trained with the IDF and let me tell ya...i didnt see 1, not ONE friggin Orlite mag in 5 weeks!!!
View Quote

Uhh. DvlDog, the Galils have been replaced years ago mostly by M16A1s and Colt M653 carbines(with thin profile 14.5" barrels, not 16".)

The M653 is the basic weapon in Israeli SF units, only small amounts of newer M4s and M4A1s are in use at this time.

There are two platforms for the DM weapon, the 20" one seen in the picture and a 14.5" carbine version with the same accessories.

And the CAR-15 name is a bit over used, it originally meant the first Colt made carbine prototype versions, then later XM177 series weapons but not directly 14.5" and 16" barreled carbines.

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah, i know what CAR-15 means but thats what they call them in the IDF. and i set one butt to butt on the ground next to my M4 in the Negev and i assure you it was 16 inches. they also use a boot band to strap a mag onto the pistol grip when at sling arms....wack!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#6]
i also saw some tankers and motor-T types with little shorty galils..SWEET. they dont understand that a micro galil with a 50rd mag beats M4 handsdown. they all wanted to fondle my M4...maybe it was the ACOG  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks to me like a poser playing with a designated marksmans rifle. His web gear looks like it just came out of storage and appears empty. Also, designated marksmen generally have dirty elbows.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks to me like a poser playing with a designated marksmans rifle. His web gear looks like it just came out of storage and appears empty. Also, designated marksmen generally have dirty elbows.
View Quote

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over. Have you got personal experience being a Designated Marksman in the IDF, could be a staged photo, and the press can make what ever photo line they want.

DvlDog, the IDF does not use 16" barreled Colt carbines, unless they made the Colt M653 carbine with a barrel length like that [;)]

And explain why a Galil SAR with a 50 round mag beats an M4, the 50 round mag monopods the rifle when prone, pretty much useless.

It might have the AK action but the weapon is no where as modular as the current M4A1s, having much fewer accessories to it.

edited because of the fricking smilie
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone here ever run a chamber gauge through a Galil? The one I shot would swallow a nogo with ease!! And the damned receivers crack at the bolt impact point.

Here’s a pic of the new ones.
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~alambsprint/_uimages/Galil5.jpg[/img]
oops guess I have to host the pic elsewhere
I would MUCH rather have a ZM LR300.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#10]
staged, finger off trigger while aiming in the directoin of an unfriendly? new empty webgear? uniform clean? standing out in the open when there is a perfectly good truck to stand behind there in the background? if its not staged, he's a moron. "hey look at me bad guys!! shoot me, im out in the middle of the road!!"
thanks
DB
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20011024/capt.1003952113mideast_israel_palestinians_jrl125.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top