Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2008 6:44:46 AM EDT
Authorities tackle Birmingham criminals in major street sweep
Authorities target drug trade, other shades of street crime Saturday, January 12, 2008CAROL ROBINSONNews staff writer
More than 50 Birmingham police officers and some federal agents fanned out over the city on Friday in a zero-tolerance street sweep aimed at cracking down on all levels of criminals.

It was the first Taking It to the Streets operation of 2008, an effort Birmingham police launched two years ago. It's a strategy to crack down on even minor violations with the hope of uncovering felony violations.

"The bottom line is we're looking for legal ways to get in their business and see if they need to be jacked up," said new Birmingham Police Chief A.C. Roper.

In 2006 and 2007 combined, officers made a total of 687 arrests during several sweeps. Of those, 204 were for felonies. In the process, police towed 96 vehicles and seized 72 guns. About 50 officers and agencies usually participate in each sweep.

The results of Friday's sweep will be announced Monday, police said.

"This is the most excited I've been since I was sworn in," Roper told his officers just before they hit the streets Friday. They were expected to stay out until midnight.

"Being out here while bad guys are being arrested is why we were sworn in," Roper said. "Let's go out today and ruin some peoples' day. Make them wish they'd stayed in bed."

The officers divided up into teams, scouring street corners in targeted high-crime areas for any violation that would give them cause to stop. Officers Friday focused on parts of the Southside and in East Lake, where there have been several recent homicides.

"No violation is too small because it will lead to something bigger," said Vice and Narcotics Capt. Mike Fisher. Police stopped a car with three men inside in the 5900 block of First Avenue South because a passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

The stop ended in all three being ticketed for violation of the open container law, because all three were drinking beer. The driver was also ticketed for not having a driver's license. One passenger was questioned about the gun he was carrying, but he did have a permit.

Nearby, three other men were detained while standing in front of a known drug house. Police ran their names through the computer system and found two of them had outstanding warrants.

Within the first two hours of Friday's operation, police had arrested more than a dozen people, including one man carrying thousands of dollars in cash and a large amount of cocaine. He will be charged with trafficking.

Police were on the lookout for the man because they'd received complaints about him. When they approached his car, the cash and drugs were in plain view on the front seat.

"We designate the areas and we just hit it hard," Fisher said. "We don't know who we're going to get. It's actually people we saw doing something wrong."

In fact, officers participating in the operation said it's like fishing in a bucket "because you've got people doing stuff wrong all day long," Fisher said.

Extensive planning:

Police run several such operations a year, Fisher said, with much planning to make sure there are enough people working at the jail and in the magistrate's office, where the warrants are signed. Wreckers are on standby for towing. Homicide detectives were on hand to interview everyone who was arrested to see if they had any knowledge of recent violent crimes.

"Some of these neighborhoods are under siege," Roper said. "In some neighborhoods, we are their only hope."

In 2007, the vice and narcotics unit as part of its normal daily activity carried out 317 search warrants and conducted 722 vice operations, which led to 955 felony arrests and 2,052 misdemeanor arrests.

Taking It to the Streets is a more concentrated version of what they do every day, Fisher said.

"It shows the people in the community that the police are out there working and we care," Fisher said. "It puts the criminal element on guard and breaks up their normal routine. It lets the bad guys know we're not up for any foolishness and we're not going to take any."

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1200129333126560.xml&coll=2&thispage=2

The programs only work if you can keep the pressure up.
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not dared to go ANYWHERE in B'ham unarmed for YEARS.  Guys, this is a rough damned place.  Have had to present my sidearm twice.  You have to walk about with the "I'm a Wolf" air about you, or the Hyenas *will* attack.  This town needs an enema.
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have not dared to go ANYWHERE in B'ham unarmed for YEARS.  Guys, this is a rough damned place.  Have had to present my sidearm twice.  You have to walk about with the "I'm a Wolf" air about you, or the Hyenas *will* attack.  This town needs an enema.

Totally agree. There have been something like 3 murders and numerous shootings in the area I work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree that to be successful, the pressure has to be on week in and week out. I've seen the constant pressure tactic work when Tulsa gangs decided to move into Joplin, Mo., and set up shop. Every time they stepped outside they were arrested for something. Those that didn't go to Mo. D.O.C., went back to T-town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top