Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2001 8:49:25 AM EDT
Smallpox is being tossed around as the next bioweapon to be used. The vaccines stopped in the mid-'70s, so no one in America is safe. Different studies show a 1 in 1,000,000 to 6 in 1,000,000 fatality rate for the vaccine itself. Is America willing to sacrafice 300 to 1800 people out of 300,000,000 to be safe? Before 9/11/01 the answer was obviously no. But Now? And who amongst us is willing to take the chance that ourself or a loved one is one of the 1800?

Scott

;b

------------------
QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES??

SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Can we choose which "loved" one would be one of the 1800? [:D]

Kyle
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm hearing reports that 30% of those who contract smallpox will die from it.  And DScottHewitt quotes studies saying there is a maximum 0.0006% probability of dying from the vaccine.  Not sure what the chance of getting smallpox is once it's spreading through the population but I'm sure it's greater than 0.0006%.  Given the math....where do I sign up for the vaccine?  We're all going to die someday, right?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
If you received the vaccine as a kid and didn't have a reaction then, does that mean that there would be no reaction now?

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#4]
kill-9,

Not sure. Could be a possibility of an allergic reaction on second exposure, I suppose. Any Docs online here?

Scott

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I did a search the other day and wound up on hte CDC website (yeah, I know).  Original vaccination is good for about ten years, mines's long gone.  1 - 3 per million fatalities for vaccinations is about right.  That's one of the reasons it was discontinued.  Effects of the vaccinations were greater than the disease.  There's only one place in PA (Wyeth Labs) with current vaccine but they're now working on a modern version that ahould be more effective & less reactive.  

Here it is:  [url]www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5010a1.htm[/url] That wasn't so hard.
That site even had gross pics of smallpox victims, etc.  If I wasn't busy (hah) I'd try to find it again.

To answer the original question, my family will be right there for the new vaccine when it comes out.  I'll be right there with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top