Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 3:51:27 AM EDT
Talk about 'mission creep' how about sending in some US Special Forces to grab the nuclear weapons from Pakistan?

Here's the story in the NewsTelegraphUK.com:

[size=4]US special unit 'stands by to steal atomic warheads'[/size=4]
[i]By Ben Fenton (Filed: 29/10/2001)[/i]

AN elite American military unit is preparing for possible incursion into Pakistan in order to steal its nuclear weapons arsenal, it is reported today.

The special forces unit is training with Israel's most trusted anti-terrorist unit, and would be called into action in the event that Gen Pervaiz Musharraf lost power in Pakistan, the New Yorker magazine said.

The CIA believes that Pakistani army officers sympathetic to the Taliban could pose a threat to Gen Musharraf, and that some of the country's estimated 24 nuclear warheads could be stolen by renegades within Pakistan's intelligence service, the ISI.

Seymour Hersch, a journalist whose reporting on the post-September 11 crisis has been broadly accurate so far, said that members of Israel's Unit 262, or Sayeret Matkal, came to America soon after the attacks and have been training with Pentagon special forces.

Mr Hersch quoted a "senior military officer" as confirming that intense planning was going on for the "exfiltration" - theft - of warheads. But there are doubts about whether the CIA - or any other intelligence agency - knows the exact location of Pakistan's warheads, which were first tested, to the surprise of American intelligence agencies, in 1998.

The fear that Gen Musharraf could lose control of the country and some or all of the warheads is based on the close links between the ISI and the Taliban. Last week, the Pakistani president dismissed such concerns.

"We have an excellent command-and-control system which we have evolved, and there is no question of their falling into the hands of any fundamentalists," Gen Musharraf said. Pakistan is thought to have a number of intermediate-range missiles to carry its warheads as well as using F-16 fighter-bombers.

There are a number of possible targets for the use of these weapons by renegades sympathetic to the Islamic extremists in Afghanistan. These include India, itself a nuclear power, or the four American aircraft carriers and British vessels currently cruising off Pakistan's coastline as bases for air and commando attacks on the Taliban and al-Qa'eda.

See article at:[url]http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/10/29/war129.xml&sSheet=/news/2001/10/29/ixhome.html[/url]

Talk about 'nightmare scenario' if even one of those nukes got into the hands of the Al Queda
group (for transport to NYC?) or the Taliban (for use against US Forces in Afghanistan?)!

Eric The(SendInTheIsraelis!)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
... yeah, I read this yesterday. And I agree with the idea. I'm not so sure Gen. Pervaiz Musharraf can hold onto power.

... This is a complex world we live in. Sometimes it requires complex and unorthodox means and measures to survive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:07:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Ah! Sh!t!  First the Anthrax and now this...
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Stealing Pakistan's nuclear warheads would be extremely difficult.  Aside from the obvious problem of even finding them, there's the fact that these are big, heavy pieces of ordnance; even the studliest of our ninja warriors isn't going to be able to stuff one into his rucksack and run off with it.  

And on top of that, we've pretty much blown the element of surprise now, eh? [:\]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
If this story is indeed true, then isnt it a little irresponsible for this Hersch guy to report it? If we needed to go steal the nukes, it would likely be better if nobody KNEW we were training to do so.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
BOY-O-BOY!!!

I saw this on 3 web sites,had it emailed to me five times and it was on TV once.

Lets just see if we can't talk aout it so more here to!

Maybe if we work at it we could even get the Spec.Ops guys killed,that would be cool![:|]

Good thing the guys that put there a$$es on the line for you are not as dumbe as you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
all your nuke's belong to us...
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
[size=4]Relax, folks![/size=4]
If some dweeb on CNN, MSNBC, etc, knows this crap, you gotta figure the other side knows it as well.

Let's not kid ourselves about this, either. The Pakistani government may also be using this same story to 'quell' the mutinous army and security forces, as well!

"Don't do anything rash, boys, or the US will try and come take these things away from us and you know that ain't gonna be a good thing no matter how it turns out in the end!"

Eric The(Realistic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[size=4]Relax, folks![/size=4]
If some dweeb on CNN, MSNBC, etc, knows this crap, you gotta figure the other side knows it as well.

Let's not kid ourselves about this, either. The Pakistani government may also be using this same story to 'quell' the mutinous army and security forces, as well!

"Don't do anything rash, boys, or the US will try and come take these things away from us and you know that ain't gonna be a good thing no matter how it turns out in the end!"

Eric The(Realistic)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

"eveeybody is doing it so it's ok"

Come on man! NBC,CNN,ect would cut this crap out if we would not put up with it.
Talking about thins stuff may very well get somebody killed and it was really dumb of you to post it.

ps:I'm not flamming you if I though you did not really care I would not wast my time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Post from a2carbine -
Come on man! NBC,CNN,ect would cut this crap out if we would not put up with it.
Talking about thins stuff may very well get somebody killed and it was really dumb of you to post it.
View Quote

It was already posted on newstelegraph.uk.com,
so I doubt that I woke up any 'sleepers' with my post on this Board.

Sorry, my bad, I just thought you might like to know what most of the world already knew!

Eric The(IWon'tLetItHappenAgain!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I think we could do it.  The Pakis are tought as street punks and good at shooting unarmed women, but they are real pussies when they are in uniform.  I think they have now lost 4 wars to India.  In the 1972 war they lost over half their country (East Pakistan suceeded and became Bangladesh) and they are far along the road to Islamabad when the cease fire was called.  I think the Indians held 300,000 Paki POWs by the end of it.  In the summer of 1999 the Pakis were routed from the high peaks in the Kargil area of Kashmir.  Indian troops charged up 19,000 foot mountains to get at them and even with those huge defensive advantages they were defeated.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top