Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2001 9:17:51 PM EDT
Well, you knew this was coming.

Personally, I think that if MACs were so great. They would have a larger market share than 14% or whatever it is now. Numbers speak for themselves.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are only interested in doing Photoshop, browsing the web, and writing the occasional document, get a Mac....

If you would like something a little more versital, ok....a helluva lot more versital, get a PC.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy PC.  Steve Jobs is evil.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Buy PC.  Steve Jobs is evil.
View Quote

Like Intel and Bill Gates are any better? [V]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
O-BOY!!!!![:)]

This is the best thing going after AR vs. AK[:\]

No really this will not start a fight[;D]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't believe this age old decrepit argument is coming out again. Like... it ain't 1987 you know.

Seriously though, Max OSX is pretty slick. And they are moving into that bright, sunny meadow in open source land. But I still think that they are for non-tech weenie graphic designers and school teachers. You know the type... the people who are afraid to look under the hood because they might break it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#6]
OSX is full-on BSD 4.4 if you want to pop the hood. (OK, Mach kernel with BSD 4.4 personality.) Cant' get much cooler and power-user-guy than that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to use mac at work. (teacher) God I wish we would move over to PC.  For very basic things it is OK, I just feel more secure in Windows.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, you knew this was coming.

Personally, I think that if MACs were so great. They would have a larger market share than 14% or whatever it is now. Numbers speak for themselves.

View Quote

Same old argument, it should read like this:

Personally, I think that if Lambourghini's were so great. They would have a larger market share than 14% or whatever it is now. Numbers speak for themselves

OR

Personally, I think that if AR-15's were so great. They would have a larger market share than AK-47's or whatever. Numbers speak for themselves

OR

Personally, I think that if FORD's were so great. They would have a larger market share than 14% or whatever it is now. Numbers speak for themselves

OR

Personally, I think that if GM's were so great. They would have a larger market share than 14% or whatever it is now. Numbers speak for themselves

I think you get the point.....
Well, [B]YOU[/B] knew this was coming. [;D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#10]
There used to be a time when you had to have a Mac. For instance, if you were recording/producing/editing music and video, doing graphic arts, desktop publishing, etc. Now these apps are all on the PC and the PC is taking over these areas that were historically Apple's domain. So, as Apple loses these areas, and taking into account virtually no one in business uses Apple systems, it's difficult to say their future is bright. They do fill a niche area however.

If Apple was smart, they would give every CIS student a free computer and something along the lines of Delphi or Visual BASIC for the Mac. If they don't get young developers on their side, they really have no future.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]
PCs do everything a Mac does, but it does it 4-10 times slower and needs lots of instruction books.

Wife just put a new HD in her PC.  Between getting the case opened, removing the parts that were in the way, installing and configuring it, her hard drive installation took 30 minutes (without mistakes).  I just did the same on my Mac, took 3 minutes start to finish.  Plug it in, it works.. everytime.  Can you say that for any PC accessory?

Running software is the same because Microbrain started copying MAC but any use of the disk operating system, finding files, opening, moving, copying, etc is soooooooooo much faster and easier on a MAC.

If it wasnt for Apple, the rest of the world would still be using DOS  LOL

I own both.. I keep my PC next to the window... just in case.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:56:37 AM EDT
[#12]
My company used to use Mac's, got rid of them for PC's.  No comparison.  I hated the Mac.  But, this is like AR vs AK ,Ford vs Chevy,  ArmaLite vs Bushmaster, etc, it's all a matter of personal taste.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's the real question:

Would God use a PC or a Mac? [:D]

Ian
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Here's the real question:

Would God use a PC or a Mac? [:D]

Ian
View Quote

Neither..  God uses a NeXT cube  (per Jobs) [:D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#15]
As a computer science major, I have found that there is no legitimate reason to get a mac.  Either you want power (for editing graphics/sound/etc.) so you go with a workstation of some kind (a real one, not PC or mac) or you want versatility so you go with a PC.  There is no reason to get a mac...it is the worst of both worlds.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If it wasnt for Apple, the rest of the world would still be using DOS  LOL
View Quote

A common myth that mac users adher to.  You do realize that macintosh orginally copied their GUI from xerox?  So they can't really get pissed at MS for anything.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#18]
ever notice how much windows looks like the mac os?

only reason were all on pc's is becouse Micro$oft went for the business market were Apple went with the School market and when it comes down to the home user you buy what u use at work
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#19]
My Mac is fully automatic and is highly concealable. When used with a suppressor can be conveniently discrete. On the other hand my PC variant can pass through the scrutiny of soccer moms, and other liberals, if I say, “I only unlock it once a year, when I go hunting way ,way out in the woods.”

They both have their uses when correctly applied to a given task.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#20]
One thing I haven't heard anyone bring up yet is all the Y2K crap a bunch of you had to go through with your PC's.   Do you realize that with all the money spent to "fix"  all the PC's, the government could have bought a Mac for every man, woman, and child in the US?

Also, when was the last time any Mac owners had to worry about a computer virus?  My wife's office was hit with the Luvbug virus, and every department went down except hers.

One last point- AFAIK, Windows is a program running on DOS, using memory space, and robbing both power and speed from the PC.  Mac's OS IS the operating system.  No wasted power.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One thing I haven't heard anyone bring up yet is all the Y2K crap a bunch of you had to go through with your PC's.   Do you realize that with all the money spent to "fix"  all the PC's, the government could have bought a Mac for every man, woman, and child in the US?
View Quote

Actually, that was mainframe and MINI computers like the AS/400. Most PCs were fine. The expense was primarily re writing the programs for the bigger systems.

I also see MAC people using  lot of old and not true arguments. I notice the same thing here at work. The marketing department has 2 macs that they bought before I started here. They are constantly amazed at the "things" a PC can do. I on the other hand are shocked at their lack of knowledge and understanding that PCs no longer run DOS or Windows 3.11 and any thing you can do on a MAC, you can do on a PC as well.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#23]
if macs are outlawed
only outlaws will have macs!
[:)]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#24]
pc's are more versatile. yeah they don't hold your hand as much, but all that hand holding when using a computer isn't that great. makes it hard to do certain things. and for serious graphics work I wouldn't use either, I'd get a silicon graphics machine
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I prefer the PC.

Microsoft and Bill Gates ARE evil...

...but then so am I, so I don't have a problem with it.[}:D][}:D][}:D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Personally, I prefer MAC's...

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/030/XZ/x5/xQ/uy12008.jpg[/img]

Sorry, couldn't resist [:)].

I have both and I like the PC for versatility, but the Mac beats it hands down for reliability.  There have been numerous occasions where I've been on the verge of using one of the above pictured MACs on my PC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#27]
and they both ripped off xerox.
xerox invented the mouse and the GUI

Quoted:

only reason were all on pc's is becouse Micro$oft went for the business market were Apple went with the School market and when it comes down to the home user you buy what u use at work
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#28]
When I worked at NASA, I used a Mac, like most of my co-workers in the branch (probably 80% Mac, 10% PC, and 10% Unix).  At home I used a PC, so I was fluent in both.  Each has its advantages.  My PC was a bit more cost-effective and had a geater variety of available software.  The Mac was easier to upgrade (new stuff worked seamlessly more often) and was more straightforward when it came to fixing problems.

The speed of the machine was much more dependent on the age of the machine as opposed to the platform.  Also, nobody expected too much from the processor on either.  The Mac and PC users in my old branch would pop open a window (MacX, etc.) on one of the big SGIs or Suns for finite element analysis or whatever.

DrMark
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One last point- AFAIK, Windows is a program running on DOS, using memory space, and robbing both power and speed from the PC.  Mac's OS IS the operating system.  No wasted power.
View Quote

I am by no means a 'Windows' defender (I run linux at home, and only run windows at work 'cause I 'hafta')... but, the current version of Windoze is [i]supposed[/i] to actually be an operating system - without DOS under it.

Of course, OS/2 was a far superior operating system (a Real OS) than Windows was, but IBM dropped the ball on that one.

As for wasted power - any operating system consumes system resources.  But without an OS you would need a separate computer for each application - or the applications would need to carry around all of the machine level functionality.

This thread is really more of a "Windows vs. OSX" argument than PC vs. Mac.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

And the only reason apple is still alive at all is because they went to the school market to try to get kids used to the mac style.  Very interesting how all through elementary and high school the labs were full of macs but in the college and business worlds the labs are full of PC's or unix workstations....
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Windows 95 and 98 are 'operating environments', just like Win 3.0-3.11.

I don't know enough about ME or XP to comment.

Windows NT is a 'real' OS, Windows 2000 is a 'real' OS.

OS/2 was a fantastic single user OS, great multitasking, efficient use of system resources, stable, rexx interpreter built in, decent window manager (At least in 3.0 and 4.0, 1.3 was pretty kludgy and 2.0 was a little better than M$ Windows 3.1). *But* IMO although the network capabilities of OS/2 were fantastic, the implementation was very user unfriendly and didn't make a heck of a lot of sense to most PC folks.

True, Mac's have always had a 'real' OS, but even the machines coming out when OS 8 (Last version I used) was the standard seemed excruciatingly slow to me.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

What Y2K crap?  I had 5 pc's in my household at the time of Y2K and not ONE had to be modified in any way (the oldest dated back to an early 90's 386 even).  So this is just plain wrong.  The Y2K bug had nothing to do with PC or mac, it had to do with certain databases where the creator used two digits for the date rather than four.  This affected any PC's OR mac's which happened to be using this software.  Instead of researching the problem you just repeat what you hear.  You could have saved a lot of money during that whole stockpiling for Y2K thing if you would have actually understood the problem (yes, I'm betting that you were one of the ignorant that were filling their basements).

Also, when was the last time any Mac owners had to worry about a computer virus?  My wife's office was hit with the Luvbug virus, and every department went down except hers.
View Quote

That's because no one uses mac.  A computer virus is nothing but a form of an executable file (A computer program).  Executable files must be written specifically for the format they are going to run on.  People design viruses for windows because that is what most people use.

View Quote

This was the case.  The newer versions of windows do not run on top of DOS (and the windows NT family never ran on top of DOS AFAIK).
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#33]
A Mac(NOT MAC) hands down. Sure PC's are ok. If that works for you great. But I cannot stand to use a PC. They are just terribly designed.

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top