Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2001 12:23:57 PM EDT
Mom went out to check the mail the other day. On the way back, a car pulls into the driveway and a man gets out. He asks for directions to a local tourist attraction. After mom tells him how to get there, he thanks her and rubs her arm. I get a hysterical call at work Wednesday night. Mom wants to know the symptoms of Anthrax. She suddenly itches on both arms, has temp, headache, sore throat, chest pains, etc. I tell her I'll be right there, so we can go to emergency room. She tells me, in retrospect, the gentleman "looked foreign". Now, for my mom, this does not narrow down the description very much.  So I get home and we call the ER, to ask the symptoms of anthrax. Interestingly, the triage nurse WILL NOT TELL ME, but asks what symptoms mom has. She says, "Sounds like the flu. It has started this year and many people are woorying when they get sick. Can I get her name and address for our logbook, just in case?" We give her the info, and mom is fine now. But I can't help but wonder why the symptoms are so secret........

Scott

;g

------------------
QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES??

SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is that the nurse you spoke to on the phone did not want to put any suggestions into your mother's head.  She wanted to know what symptoms she was exhibiting in her own words, without any outside help.  I'm sure the hospital ER's have had a lot of hypochondriacs to deal with lately. Considering the attention that the media has focused on anthrax lately, perfectly normal folks are freaking out at the slightest symptom.  It's turning into mass hysteria, and the hospitals have to do what they can to weed out the panic stricken from the real cases.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top