Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2007 8:30:14 AM EDT
I think the last decent poll showed arfcom at about 40% atheist/agnostic.  I won't lump those in together so we can get a better idea of where the forum stands as a whole.  

ETA:  I know I mis-spelled believe, the devil made me do it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Believe in a God that I pray to.....but think that the religions man has created are hogwash.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
What do you define as a "Godless heathen"?  Someone who believes there is no God?  Someone who isn't a Christian?  Someone who isn't Catholic/Protestant?  Someone who isn't a member of the "right" church?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Agnostic over here.  This needs a poll.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#5]
So where does neo-paganism fit into your poll?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
ARf is 60% hethen according to my last poll
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So where does neo-paganism fit into your poll?

The last choice, obviously.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]

my gosh people.  He has given us all a manual (the Bible) - read it!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:36:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe in only one less god than the monotheists.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Taoist here. There's something bigger than man out there, but it's not necessarily interested in what we're doing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I tried to talk myself into believing (so I could avoid the horrified stares and fit in better) but I'm too much of a "see it to believe it" guy

me someday
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#12]
After reading the Marilyn Manson thread and seeing how many religious fanatics we have here that felt there way of life was threatened by music, I felt compelled to vote 100% godless heathen.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I tried to talk myself into believing (so I could avoid the horrified stares and fit in better) but I'm too much of a "see it to believe it" guy

me someday

+1.  I'm with you on this one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I believe in god, not the church that creates rules to control the flock.
If they are more concerned about your money than your soul - run away quickly.
If they protect child molesters and not the child, I cannot, will not trust they are looking out for me or my family.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Scientific minded here- agnostic.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
After reading the Marilyn Manson thread and seeing how many religious fanatics we have here that felt there way of life was threatened by music, I felt compelled to vote 100% godless heathen.

That singing and dancing would have gotten you burned at the stake in Salem, some things never change.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#17]
There is definately a god of some sort out there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I did.

I'm not convinced.

I voted the first choice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm the Captain of the Arfcom Lake of Fire Swim Team

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm the Captain of the Arfcom Lake of Fire Swim Team

Where do I sign up?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#21]
GIVE IT A FUCKING REST ALREADY, WILL YA?

You know, you assholes complain about Christian bashing, but then go out of your way to pick fights with those who CHOOSE not to believe. And if you are speaking from an atheist view, you should be ashamed of yourself.

TAKE IT TO THE DAMN RELIGION FORUM
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have trouble believing in something just because some old book says so.

That said I actually respect the Christian and Jewish religions. And I like the fact that someone can make "piss Jesus" (or "dung Mary") artwork, and the Christians don't riot or behead anyone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I have read it, many times.  I still cannot escape the fact that it is just a book written by man.  What makes that book of fairy tales any more "real" than any other book of fairy tales?

I believe in something, but it is not Christian.  Much more pagan in my leanings.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Pagan if I have to identify.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I believe in a God, but I think most of his earthly representatives are total scumbags.

And my God has more important things to do than listen to my praise & petitions.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Wotan ist mit mir!

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#27]
If you don't believe in Jesus,
Go to Hell !
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You know, you assholes complain about Christian bashing, but then go out of your way to pick fights with those who CHOOSE not to believe. And if you are speaking from an atheist view, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Whoa there hoss, I think you must misunderstand me completely.  I was inspired to start this thread by this piece of wisdom in another one:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man the irony of the whole thing is hilarious.

Yeah, a preacher saying the koran is full of fairy tales is kinda ironic.

And of course the Christian bashers can't stay out of it.  

It's religion bashing, not Christian bashing. I don't know too many atheists who think it's only Christians who worship a non existent man in the sky.

Don't be too quick to put on your martyr robe, most of us godless heathens think all religions are silly.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=646122&page=1

I'm an atheist, as a good many on arfcom are.  I'm just reminding our devout (but vocal) minority here that they are indeed not the majority they wish they were.  They seem to think that gun ownership=conservative=Christian, but they're wrong.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm somewhere between the first two choices.

There is obviously more to the origin of the universe than we currently understand, but I believe it's much more likely to be an unknown quirk of physics than an omnipotent, omniscient, eternal form of life at the controls.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If you don't believe in Jesus,
Go to Hell !

I think he's one of the Mexicans that mows my lawn.  Is that who you're talking about?

ETA:  I voted the 2nd choice--probably agnostic here.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a Christian.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Read it...many, many times.  Studied it intimately.  Don't believe it to be the work of any non-human entity.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa there hoss, I think you must misunderstand me completely.  I was inspired to start this thread by this piece of wisdom in another one:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And of course the Christian bashers can't stay out of it.  

It's religion bashing, not Christian bashing. I don't know too many atheists who think it's only Christians who worship a non existent man in the sky.

Don't be too quick to put on your martyr robe, most of us godless heathens think all religions are silly.

I'm an atheist, as a good many on arfcom are.  I'm just reminding our devout (but vocal) minority here that they are indeed not the majority they wish they were.  They seem to think that gun ownership=conservative=Christian, but they're wrong.  

Like I said, I couldn't tell if you were stating the atheist view or the christian view. And I still say that this religion shit is getting way out of hand in GD. There is a religion forum and that is where these discussions belong.

The current "wave" of atheism in this country is fucking repulsive to me and I have NEVER believed in any type of god. I chose not to believe and I also chose to let others do as they wish. I saw a news story this morning about a fucking "atheist tree" with cards instead of ornaments. Give me a fucking break, enough is enough.

A "true" atheist does not go around trying to convince others.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#34]
i think the possibility that something is out there is worth considering.

men have used religion to explain the unexplainable and to pacify the masses from day 1.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#35]
We generally assign the title of "God" to the biggest fish in the universe's food chain.

I don't believe humans are at the top of the food chain.

I believe there is a God and He is the biggest fish.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#36]

100% atheist.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Like I said, I couldn't tell if you were stating the atheist view or the christian view. And I still say that this religion shit is getting way out of hand in GD. There is a religion forum and that is where these discussions belong.

The current "wave" of atheism in this country is fucking repulsive to me and I have NEVER believed in any type of god. I chose not to believe and I also chose to let others do as they wish. I saw a news story this morning about a fucking "atheist tree" with cards instead of ornaments. Give me a fucking break, enough is enough.

Where did I try to convince anybody of anything?  I couldn't possibly care less what anybody's religious affiliations are, I am just asking some simple questions.  Yes, I could ask in the Religion forum, where the 78 Christians and one atheist that hang out could see and answer the poll, or ask in GD, where I might actually get an accurate picture of the number of atheists, agnostics, and monotheists on arfcom.  Ever taken a statistics class?  Do you understand what a representative sample is?  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did I try to convince anybody of anything?  I couldn't possibly care less what anybody's religious affiliations are, I am just asking some simple questions.  Yes, I could ask in the Religion forum, where the 78 Christians and one atheist that hang out could see and answer the poll, or ask in GD, where I might actually get an accurate picture of the number of atheists, agnostics, and monotheists on arfcom.  Ever taken a statistics class?  Do you understand what a representative sample is?  

I never said that you specifically were trying to convince others. The idiots with the "atheist tree" are the ones I am talking about.

And as far as your poll goes. Why do you care what religion anyone is or believes in god or not? None of anyones business in GD which is why it belongs in the religion forum.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Reformed Apathetic Agnostic w/athiestic tendencies.

Where do I fit in?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm agnostic.

Poof! There's the Universe is just as hard to believe as it all happened by chance.

I'll find out one day, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Reformed Apathetic Agnostic w/athiestic tendencies.

Where do I fit in?

Guess I should have made it multiple choice.  You sound like a #2 to me though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Good poll.  Just about God - and not any prophets - so I could vote.

Deep belief in God but don't believe in the divinity of prophets.

5sub
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[://

And of course the Christian bashers can't stay out of it.  [://

I don't believe I have EVER gone to the Religion Forum.  However, from what I have HEARD a thread such as this could lead to teh ban !!

Better to post here in GD amongst the regular dirtbags.

5sub
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Atheist
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Which edition is the One True Infallible Word O' God?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Believe in a God that I pray to.....but think that the religions man has created are hogwash.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Pretty much my way as well.
But don't care if anyone is "Godless" or not...their biz, not mine
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Laying on the ground in a pool of your own blood watching lights fade around you, feeling a growing sense of numb, life slipping as people are talking, gathering around you but you cannot hear a thing, you feel calm. Even as you are picked up, rushed to the hospital, you feel nothing, just a growing sense of calm. I believe in God very much and my experiences have confirmed this. A fool would risk eternity with the wrong belief or the lack there of.    
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#49]
That last choice sounds like a Unitarian, once described as believing that it's certain there's no more than one God.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm agnostic, but very, very heavily leaning to atheist. I think there's a miniscule, even negligible possibility that there is a god or gods. Every day I think about it, the possibility seems smaller and smaller.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top