Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2001 8:54:20 PM EDT
Walked into a Pawn Shop today looking for a backpack. Went to the counter where they kept the pistols.  What did I see a used selection of handguns the least expensive being the $500.00 range.  What made the point was this.

Berretta 96 .40S&W $+800.00 , I replied, What is this, she said oh the Handguns are %40 off. I said well heck I just bought a Beretta Elite .40S&W w/ brigadier slide for 20 bucks less and Brand Spanken New then your USED BER. discounted %40.  Needless to say I didn't buy anything.  I wasn't angry and didn't really make a scene. It like okay, but not me.

Anyways I don't know if there any good pawn shops around, but I found one that is not.

Ben

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What pawn shop? okc - tulsa?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
New glock 23 13rnd Magazine $20
New glock 19 15rnd magazine $20
Set of new Taylor Made Golf clubs $100

....oh, we weren't talking about how to rip off pawn shops.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
They're just like car dealers.  You just got to talk 'em down.  Maybe even leave, come back another day and go at it again.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Check them out right after Thanksgiving.  Seems like they try to move stuff, (get some cash) so they can buy CHEAP from people needing money for Christmas.  Have got the best deals during this time period.  Good Luck -- ALLONS11
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
In June of '99 I stopped at a pawn shop on Foothill Blvd. in Upland, CA and the guy had four Russian SKS's sittin on the rack.

I asked to look at the nicest one and asked him how much.  When he told me 150 bucks I started thinkin' real quick.  I walked out of there holding a receipt for three of them for 400 bucks out the door.  Best deal I ever made at a pawn shop!

When I was living in Phoenix about twelve years ago, I stopped at a downtown pawnshop and on the way out saw a guy pull into the parking lot with a nice Mac top box for a roll a way in the bed of his S10.  I asked if he was looking to pawn it and he said he wanted to sell it.  I told him I'd offer him more than what the pawn guy would give and asked him to give me the chance after he checked inside.

He came out and said the guy only offered him one hundred bucks.  He sold it to me for 125 dollars.  It retailed on the Mac truck for 975.00.  I've still got it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey I got some 25-rd .308 Galil mags from a pawn shop.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 2:15:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Bear in mind a pawnbrokers sole purpose is to take advantage of people in desperate financial straits- by giving them a bit of money for whya little valueables they have.
Either that, or fence hot shit. They are the absolute scum of the fucking earth.

Best deal?
And I am quoting the poor women here-

[i]"An assault Rifle with a thing on the end of the barrel and a "moveable" stock. It comes with 7 banana clips too" ...[/i]

...that turned out to be a Pre-Ban Bushy with Telestock, Ace padded case, and 7 MINT Sanchez  30's for $500 . Sold the gun for $1200 when I was broke.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#8]
What do ya expect in Oklahoma? Your screwed out of it on your pay check, on the highways,on everything you purchase, property tax, gas , tags , food , schools ,etc. Should a pawn shop be any different? [smash]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What do ya expect in Oklahoma? Your screwed out of it on your pay check, on the highways,on everything you purchase, property tax, gas , tags , food , schools ,etc. Should a pawn shop be any different? [smash]
View Quote

Come live in NJ.  [:)]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#12]
latest PAWNSHOP buy,  Marlin .22lr with simmions scope for 79.99..  not bad IMO ...
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#13]

The fact of the matter is that the customers at Pawn Shops are jerks.  
View Quote

Probably not the best attitude, if you are trying to run a customer based business.  

I personally love to shop at my local pawn shop.  The guy is generally nice to talk to.  Doesn't know a whole lot about guns, but that is good sometimes.  Always has a good deals on just about everything.  Some things he won't buy from me, but that doesn't make me mad, just his way of doing business.  Won't give much for most things, but doesn't charge much either.  My favorite store!  Bought a .218bee octagon barreled T/C Contender for only $210 a few months ago.  Most places you can't even buy a barrel for that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Or "I've never lost anything, I always pick up my stuff". The fact of the matter is that pawn shops DON'T WANT YOUR STUFF. They want your interest payments.
View Quote

Exactly right. However, I don't think the originator's idea was to slam the pawn industry as much as it was to hammer this particular bunch's pricing policy. If this is the pawn shop of which I'm thinking, they have grown into primarily a gun shop. Is this Mustang Pawn & Gun? If you deal with the proprietor Randy, you can come away with some good deals. It's been my experience that if you're serious about buying an item, he'll work something out so that everyone's happy. His wife and his transient help, however, are another matter entirely. If Randy's not available, I'll just come back another time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#15]
To some extent, these guys don't know firearms.  They price items to bluebook value - the item they think the bluebook refers to.  In some cases they take a wild guess as to value and price it as high as they think someone will pay for it.

I was in an Anchorage gunshop/pawnshop where almost every military rifle was marked as a "Mauser" or an "early Mauser" in 3006.  When I showed the resident GUNSMITH, yes, GUNSMITH a Lee Enfield #1 mk3, and asked about the tag ("Early Mauser, 30-06), he asked how I knew otherwise.  He said the gunsmithing school did not teach them about obsolete rifles.  Had to pass on a nice P-14 barreled action as he did not want to let a possible treasure out the door.    

I look for butchered Springfields that have a nice action.  The bluebook prices refer to as-issued collector rifles, but the counter help doesn't know that.  

A lot of junk is priced at triple what it is valued, often because clueless counter help pawned the item at too high a price and they want to recover their money.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#16]
 Pawn shop prices can vary widely .
 It certainly helps if you are an informed
consumer .  Keep in mind that almost everything is used . I have got some pretty good deals at pawn shops . If the price is too high , or the deal just doesn't sound right , just say no .
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#17]
While on jury duty I wandered through many pawn shops in the area.  They always seem to congregate about courthouses.  They reminded me of a backlash from the 70's

Anyways there's some online now, SOOOO get out your charge cards and by online from the pawnshop.

[url]http://www.majesticpawn.com/indexw.html[/url]
[url]http://www.phx.viawest.net/camelback/[/url]
[url]http://volusia.com/acpawn/[/url]

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#18]
There's a pawn shop in Salt Lake City (I think) that does a lot of business on AuctionArms that is called Super Pawn. I got a .40 Browning Hi-Power for $500 from them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Most pawn shops dont know there head from there ASS when it comes to stuff they take in.  Want to get screwed sell something to them.  Want to get really screwed buy something from them. [stick]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Most pawn shops dont know there head from there ASS when it comes to stuff they take in.  Want to get screwed sell something to them.  Want to get really screwed buy something from them. [stick]
View Quote

The first statement may be true, but you only sell to pawn shops when you can't sell it yourself, that's how they make money.   You can't get mad about that.

Second statement....If the first is true.. then the 2nd can't be true.  You just have to watch what you buy.  Bought a $450.00 antique clock from my local pawn shop for $100.00 for my wife.  I did a lot of research on the net to find this out before I bought it.  The guy had no idea what it was worth, but he made a little money($50), I got a clock at a great price.  Person who sold the clock.....needed money, didn't take the time to sell it them selves.  Didn't take the time to research what it was worth.  Just wanted the money after their relative died.  Their loss.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#21]
living in a city with all the military around it has quite a few pawn shops.
the deal here is that I have alot of shops to choose from.
some are very high and I do not even bother to go into them. but there are a number of others that have great deals from time to time.
it seems to me to go like this.
the large corperate shops pretty much have a set price they pay for weapons and some do go buy the blue book.
then there are the one's that go by what they pay like lets say you pawn a nice remington 1100 for $125 then they have that gun for lets say 2 months at there high interest rates like it would be close to $45 charge for that here and that brings it to $170 and then they average the cost it takes to sell it like on the average of 2 months for a firearm (just guessing) so you add another $45 to it and now its up to around $215 so I do see them ad a little to that which most of them can come down around 10% so thats what I base my buying figures on.

I have a few that are friends of mine and check in every couple of weeks and they look at the list of things that are going to fall out of the loan and let me put my name on the readout to hold for me. some times I get up to 4 or 5 guns in a month that way as it gives me a good deal and it gets them their money back right away as I get it just like I was the person who pawned it would pay for it back plus tax.

it is kinda weird that some shops have great prices on hand guns and some great prices on long guns but can't seem to find the one that has both.
bottom line is money talks and bull-shit walks.
at the end of the month sometimes its just like buying a car if you got the cash you get a deal as it looks great on the books for them to get that extra grand or so in the till the last day of the month.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#22]
All the pawn shops in my town suck except one.  That one is cool.  I got a mint Python for $500 out the door last year, a P17 Enfield for $300, two Norinco 1911s for an average of $200 per, and so on.  Gotta know where to look and what the stuff is really worth and have a shop not run by dickheads.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#23]
My favorite is the $ 1000 sporterized Mk 1 03 Springfield, " Say's right here in the B-book " say's the P-shop guy. But thats for an original correct un-altered Mk1 with the Pederson sear and cut-off " say's I ", Don't tell me how to price guns, Ive been doing it for 25 years say's the p-shop guy ! They still have it for sale 4 years later, waiting for a first class sucker !!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Remington 1100 (ruined buttstock)  $100
Ruger single six (1 cylinder)       $40
Glock 17 (2 hi-caps)               $225
wife's ring appraised @ $3,500     $900
and on and on

You have to look at it from their perspective.  What he has is worth book value, but what YOU have is worth  $.01 on the dollar.  The owner loans .01/1.00 with the attitude the customer will not come back.    Frequent the same pawn shops and occasionally buy without dickering until they know your face.   Right at the first of the month pawn shop is tapped out especially if customers don't pay the interest.  I don't dicker book price on anything, but work on what I think the shop actually has in the item.   For instance if he loans $100 on a $1,200 ring I don't offer $900, but $200 which is a $100 clear profit to him.   Don't get mad, just make him an offer.

And ditto what one guy said:  the reason they wanted toooo much for that one rifle is that the counter guy LOANED toooo much.
Keep in mind the super duper tricked out custom .45 under the glass counter means absolutely nothing to the guy behind the counter it is just an object to him (and he has a code on it somewhere that tell how much the store loaned).   Most of them are not gun nuts, but have to know a little about guns, nintendos, jewelry, CB radios, etc.

Oh and you probably won't find deals in the chain stores (for reasons already mentioned), but will in the mom and pop shops.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh yeah, and here's another story about how some of these pawn shop dudes ain't the brightest.  Earlier this week I saw a BT99 (that's a fancy Browning trap gun) in a case under glass at the local shop.  $599, which is a good start toward a fine deal.  Lessee that!

Pulled it out, receiver/stock looked nice.  Checked out the barrel and it had been cut!  No bead, just some nasty work with a pipecutter and a file!

Caveat emptor!  Pawn dude claimed he didn't know and was pissed!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I was probably too harsh, and as a result I can now see a little of what goes on behind the scenes of pawn shops. The place I am refering to Is on the south side of MOORE, Ok. Usta be a army surplus, but they have since turned it into a pawn.  I am wanting a backpack.  So this entire event was just hapenstance. Does anyone know where there are any good(read large) Army/Navy surplus stores in the Oklahoma City/Moore/Norman area?

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top