Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2001 5:59:22 PM EDT
Jeep Grand Cherokee , Nissan Pathfinder/Infinit QX4

or another mid-suz 4x4 SUV ???

I'm considering buying one.

I like the Nissan Infiniti but can't believe a $30-40k vehicle has drum brakes9in back)!

The Jeep looks nice but I'm not real convinced about Jeep(Chrysler's) reliability.

Any input appreciated.

p.s.  FoMoCo not on the short list (well I can't afford a Land Rover) & I don't like the Explorer.

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD. I really like it a lot, but actually ended up in this one due to an arbitration settlement on a '99 Grand that I had. '99 had some wicked driveline lash in it that the dealer couldn't fix in 6 visits. New one has 30,000 mi on it without any problems. Would I buy another one? Yes, but only if it was the best deal.
Just my .02 cents

-Chopperdave
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The wife put about 50K on the Grnd Jeep...other than 2 batteries, we never had a mechanical problem. She has the small lexus SUV now and it is really some vehicle, but no history yet; too new.                  Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Land Rover Discovery - The Best 4x4 by far.  All time best.  There can be only one best in class and this is it.  My understanding is that the Discovery 2 series is even better.  A little more than the ford or jeep but well worth the difference and if you find a program car not even a price difference.
View Quote

Can a discovery be had for less than $40k??

How's the 4wd setup??

4hi? 4low? & 2wd option?

that's what I'd like, don't care for the torque on demand/auto-slip detect setups
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  

While I was (and am) concerned about reliability, I wanted a smallish SUV with an 8-cylinder engine.  The Jeep had exactly the features I wanted.  I also got a pretty good deal on it since it was a year old model when I bought it.

I’ve got 35,000 miles on it thus far with few problems.  I did have to get the front brake rotors replaced at about 27,000 miles.  It’s had two minor recalls, one to replace the seat belt studs and one to somehow modify the emissions control setup.

I’ve got full time 4 wheel drive.  I get 15.5 miles per gallon, which is a little disappointing.  This is mostly local driving.

I almost got the Explorer.  However, the 6-cylinder is a bit underpowered, the ride is hard, and the center of gravity is a little higher than I wanted.

Thus far my experience with the Jeep has been good.  But I still have my doubts about Chrysler quality.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The Jeep Grand Cherokee retains a solid axle in front, correct??

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Jeep Grand Cherokee retains a solid axle in front, correct??

View Quote

As far as I know, yes.  I don't think they changed designs yet.  You can always go to their web site.

Out of the three you listed, I'd go with the Jeep.  The Pathfinder and Infinity are WAY over priced.

Another alternative is the Ford Explorer Sport trac.  I think that's a hot looking SUV/Pickup hybrid.  You still get the occupant size of a 4 door SUV and a place to haul dirty stuff out side the vehicle.  I have and love my Jeep wrangler, but ever Christmas...those pine needles...
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
btt
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't leave out the 4runners. I've two now and wouldn't trade em for anything. Toyotas are practically indestructable although are a bit pricey and a tad short on power. Check out [url]www.carreview.com[/url] [url]www.edmunds.com[/url] and [url]www.epinions.com[/url] and read reviews of everything you are looking at.

I hope I did the links right, i'm still a newbie.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]

4runner...
[bounce]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

4runner...
[bounce]
View Quote

I've considered those & like them. The current design is getting a little long in the tooth.
 I'm not sure if the 4runners have drums or discs in back??
 The 4runner does need more power!
I know TRD makes a blower for the V-6 but that
would easily be another $3k.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Just bought a 98' Nissan Pathfinder SE. It really came down between the Grand Cherokee and the Pathfinder in the end. Wife and I did a lot of research and chose the Pathfinder for the following reasons:
Very ballsy V6, 4WD, good deal more cargo room than the Jeeps - spare tire takes up a lot of room in the Jeep, the late model Pathfinders spare is mounted beneath the rear of the vehicle. I think Jeep has started to do this but in 2000s or later. The extras put it over the top of the Jeep too - Kick ass 12 speaker CD/cassette Bose stereo, and moonroof. Not knocking Jeeps as theyve proven themselves time and time again - but I still see the resale value holding of the Pathies as being greater.
So far we're really pleased with it and expect it to serve us well for some time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Got money?....Get the BMW X5.

[img]http://www.bmwusa.com/assets_client/vehicles/x5/0164/0164_main.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#15]
4Runner, My wife has had 3 of them and has loved them all. The only thing that she does not like about the 2001's are that they are all automatics. Had 1 Jeep and the clutch went out at 4000 miles(only city driving).
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#16]
93 Nissan Pathfinder.

If you have specific questions about it, I'll chack back later, or e-mail me.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#17]
What's the beef with rear drums?

4 wheel disks are needed in a sports car, but I would image they don't add much in the SUV class.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad to see an Isuzu isn't on your list.  I've got one, and it's crap.

Word of advice - to help your decision, call your local auto parts store and ask for an alternator price on each vehicle on your list.

That way, if it were to ever break down, you won't have to wait on fixing it until you have the funds.

For example, I got a nice 95 Isuzu Rodeo with 60k (when I bought it).  Alternator - $250 in stock, O2 sensor - $250 special order, Oil pump - $181 special order and near impossible to change without pulling the motor, head job to replace plastic plug that's supposed hold 50PSI oil pressure but doesn't - $500 and you can't do it yourself, driver's side window hardware - impossible to buy new so it's $30 at a junkyard if you are lucky enough to find one, motor - $3500 new and $1600 with 50k.

Just be careful bub.  Don't make my mistake.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Luv it. I think as long as you don't geta 99 you are going to get a great vehicle.

2000 WJ Selec-Trac 4.7L 11-23-99 build date, Set up W/ Handicapped Controls, WeatherTech Window Visors, Turbo City Air Tube & K&N Conical Filter, K&N PreFilter, Kolak Headlamp Wiring Harness, High beam bulb Conversion i.e. High Beams All Around (HB, LB, & FL), Anthony's BudgetBoost Lift, JeepsUnlimited.com sticker (makes it go faster), the list continues as I get bored....

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got a 2000 Jeep Cherokee w/4.0 and my girlfriend has a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT w/4.0. No problems with either; 20,000 miles on the Jeep and 40,000 on the Explorer. They both get around 16 mpg around town and 22 mpg on the highway. To me, the seats in the Jeep are more comfortable for long distance driving. My friend has a V-8 BMW X5- no comparision.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For example, I got a nice 95 Isuzu Rodeo with 60k (when I bought it).  Alternator - $250 in stock, O2 sensor - $250 special order, Oil pump - $181 special order and near impossible to change without pulling the motor, head job to replace plastic plug that's supposed hold 50PSI oil pressure but doesn't - $500 and you can't do it yourself, driver's side window hardware - impossible to buy new so it's $30 at a junkyard if you are lucky enough to find one, motor - $3500 new and $1600 with 50k.

Just be careful bub.  Don't make my mistake.
View Quote

yanky-

OUCH.

I'm guessing you don't find the Joe Isuzu commercials amusing??? [}:D]

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just bought a 98' Nissan Pathfinder SE. It really came down between the Grand Cherokee and the Pathfinder in the end. Wife and I did a lot of research and chose the Pathfinder for the following reasons:
Very ballsy V6, 4WD, good deal more cargo room than the Jeeps - spare tire takes up a lot of room in the Jeep, the late model Pathfinders spare is mounted beneath the rear of the vehicle. I think Jeep has started to do this but in 2000s or later. The extras put it over the top of the Jeep too - Kick ass 12 speaker CD/cassette Bose stereo, and moonroof. Not knocking Jeeps as theyve proven themselves time and time again - but I still see the resale value holding of the Pathies as being greater.
So far we're really pleased with it and expect it to serve us well for some time.
View Quote

I concur w/HKgnnr...we also bought a '98 SE, just this last August.  Single CD+cassette, though, but everything else is nice--black with tan leather, moon/sunroof, comfortable ride, heated front seats (wife liked that), and it's been great off road when we've gone plinking.  It's been the perfect mix of "nice foo-foo-ness" for comfortable pavement driving, but nothing so cushy we're afraid to get it dirty, dinged or scatched.  I look at some of the Toyota Sequoias (too much computerized luxury) and other SUVs people buy in white w/gold trim that will never get closer to being off road than a gravel driveway, and can't help but wonder, "why?".  To each their own.

Give serious consideration to the Nissan, but save yourself some bucks and avoid brand new.  If you have the bucks, of course, you will be getting the new engine on the 2001 (think the 5-speed is rated for 250hp).
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Happiest day of my life was when my Jeep wagoneer left the driveway for good.
Toyota Land Cruiser has not let me down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Bought a 2001 Acura MDX earlier this Spring.  Excellent car, V6 with sufficient amount of oomph, seats 7 with folding seats that fold flat.  The wife initially though ordering the navigational system was a waste of money and just another bell or whistle we didn't need on the car - talk to her now, she wouldn't dream of us buying another car without one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Love my '98 Infinity.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What's the beef with rear drums?

4 wheel disks are needed in a sports car, but I would image they don't add much in the SUV class.
View Quote

What's the benefit of rear drums??

Have you ever changed shoes on drum brakes?

A much bigger PITA than discs!

A true off roader would know I suppose but do
drums fill with crap when running through the muck??  mud,water,dirt etc. ??

Not many vehicles use drums anymore except
econboxes & some pickups but even that's becoming rare.
 It seems like a cost cutting measure by the manufacturer's to me but I can't believe machining discs is really that much more $$
than machining drums?

Someone did tell me once that drums have a greater capacity for dissipating heat. I dunno?
More mass?

I don't see any high speed race cars running around with drums.
 Hell the latest & greatest are carbon rotors or ceramic rotors.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Glad to see an Isuzu isn't on your list.  I've got one, and it's crap.

For example, I got a nice 95 Isuzu Rodeo with 60k (when I bought it).O2 sensor - $250 special order,
View Quote

I dunno about the Rodeo but I know a few people with the Trooper that swear by them.

That O2 sensor price seems way out of line.
My experience with O2 sensors is that those things are all pretty generic.
 Hell Bosch sells lots of aftermarket ones
for about $60.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bought a 2001 Acura MDX earlier this Spring.  Excellent car, V6 with sufficient amount of oomph, seats 7 with folding seats that fold flat.  The wife initially though ordering the navigational system was a waste of money and just another bell or whistle we didn't need on the car - talk to her now, she wouldn't dream of us buying another car without one.
View Quote

Nice setup but more for on road than off road, essentially FWD setup with a torque sensing center diff (viscous?) that has NO 4WD
low range.

I might buy the wife one of the new 240hp
5spd auto Odysseys though. She could use that Nav system!

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A true off roader would know I suppose but do
drums fill with crap when running through the muck??  mud,water,dirt etc. ??

View Quote

I get the feeling that most of these guys talking up their pavement-friendly IFS SUVs don't qualify as "true offroaders". Interesting how leather seats and how many CDs the stereo is able to hold enters a conversation about supposed offroad vehicles. What's up with that?

And then we have someone claiming that the Wrangler was an improvement over the CJ. The Wrangler YJ was actually a step backwards in my opinion. I'll grant the coil sprung Wrangler TJ does have a better suspension and is probaly the only new 4x4 I would buy for actual hard offroad use (with serious mods), however. Too bad Chrysler had to go with the melted plastic interior to appeal to people who probably don't even know or care what a transfer case is.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I drive a Grand Cherokee limited, but it's a 97.  I guess the best thing I can tell you is that I have been [b]VERY[/b] impressed with Chrysler's build quality.  Not a damn thing rattles or creaks in the interior.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got money?....Get the BMW X5.
View Quote

No 4WD low range & I don't think a locking
center diff.  Even the Acura has that.

If I want a Bimmer it'll be a proper one,
 M3 or M5  or (in my dreams!) a Z8 [:D]

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Get a real SUV. Go look for a '98 Land Rover Discovery. You can find them for 25k and they have more options than the others,,,heated seats, leather, weather band, ect..
They also have REAL 4wd unlike your other lexus or jeep.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#33]
For a real offroader, I'd rather have a Defender 90 than a Disco. Or maybe a Unimog.

Of course, it's still pretty tough to beat a properly built good ol' American Jeep.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I have an 87 Nissan Pathfinder.  I love it. It works great in this Michigan weather we have.

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I get the feeling that most of these guys talking up their pavement-friendly IFS SUVs don't qualify as "true offroaders". Interesting how leather seats and how many CDs the stereo is able to hold enters a conversation about supposed offroad vehicles. What's up with that?
quote]

The closest thing to off-roading my MDX will see is trips to Tahoe during the winter.  99% of the time, it's a daily driver/kid hauler for my wife.  Yup, safety, heated leather seats, enough room for the frequent HomeDepot errands, nav system and how many cds and cup-holder was important to me.  Didn't know that I had to be a [i]serious[/s] off roader to participate in this thread [>:/]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Depends on what you are going to use is for, the Jeep and Land Rover are the only ones with any real off road ability, the others are glorified station wagons or luxo machines.  Course will you ever go offroad? If I was looking to tow anything i'd go for one of the truck based utes like the Sequioa or Durango with a V8.  For a competent daily driver I'd buy an MDX (superior to the Lexus RS300, but if you like it, the Highlander is the same vehicle with different and cheaper sheemetal).  Given your dollar limits and the great incentives and deals on american cars, I'd go for a jeep with the v8, you could get a loaded one for $32k with negotiation, seriously.  Slightly used ones can be had in the 20s, just don't get a 99 and get the V8, the I6 is SLOW.  I like the Rovers alot and the the Discovery IIs are fairly reliable now, but take it to a shop one time, and it will happen, you will wished you had bought American or Japanese, not to mention its serious lack of power.  If money wasn't an object, I'd go for the Land Cruiser or BMW x5.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#37]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Yb/UC/t3/yj67188.jpg[/img]

My new 2002 Jeep Liberty. Only a month old. It looks a little different now with the brush guards and sidesteps. I can't speak about reliability since it is a brand new series of Jeep. But it does kick ass so far. Lots of power, 210hp, a well built suspension, and semi-good gas milage. 16-20 on regular gas. 4 position transfercase, 2wd, part-time 4wd, 4wd, and 4wd low. It is completely redesigned from the ground up and uses the new "leak free" engine taken from the latest Grand Cherokee version.

Take a look underneath a Liberty someday, they are really well built. Most SUV's are just overgrown station wagons, no skid plates and very little ground clearance. They have wires and fuel/brake lines all exposed.

I can vouch for the 4-runner, my dad's lasted forever, it was a little on the weakside. He got rid of it for another one. My friend has it now, it's 10 years old and still going strong. The new ones have a much more powerful engine and are wider but are $bucks$. Landcruisers and Discovery 2's also kick ass but are also $$$.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#38]
As far as Isuzu goes, I haven't heard many good thing about the rodeo, but I love my trooper. It is a totally differnet animal than the rodeo.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Another vote for the Troopers. We currently own 2( had 3) Our first was a 88 Trooper II, and we put that truck through hell, 4x4ing, camping, hunting, vehicle extraction, you name it.  That truck finally died in Jan with a fried transfer case. It has close to 200,000 miles on the Odometer. I would have put another in but I decided to let that one head for the hills.  WE also have a 93 Trooper with the V6, I drive this one daily, and it rides/handles better than the 88 did.  I have done a good bit of offroading in this truck too, and it handles a lot better.  Finally we have a 99 which is pretty much a pavement queen.  My brother had it right now, he has taken it 4x4ing a few times, and it too has held up well.
Personally, if either one had to be replaced within the next 10 years, I will by another trooper. Hell they have been making trucks since what 1934? I figure they know what they are doing.    
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#40]
1997 Chevy Z71 4X4 extended cab 3rd door.Like a rock.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 1:38:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/Yb/UC/t3/yj67188.jpg[/img]

Arrrrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!! My eyes! My eyes!

That thing represents the end of everything good about Jeep.

Shame on Chrysler.
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 1:46:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
[The closest thing to off-roading my MDX will see is trips to Tahoe during the winter.  99% of the time, it's a daily driver/kid hauler for my wife.  Yup, safety, heated leather seats, enough room for the frequent HomeDepot errands, nav system and how many cds and cup-holder was important to me.  Didn't know that I had to be a [i]serious[/s] off roader to participate in this thread
View Quote

Sounds like you would have been better off with an AWD station wagon. Better handling, too. [:)]

This is what annoys me about the whole SUV fad. Manufacturers are basically watering down the performance of an entire class of vehicles to appeal to people who probably shouldn't be buying them anyhow. Kind of like the suburban housewife who has a diesel crew cab 4x4 to take junior to soccer practice, hit Starbuck's for a latte, and head to the mall. I mean really, what's the point?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#43]
If your looking for soemthing that you can build into a personalized vehicle get a JEEP. There are more aftermarket accesories for a jeep than you can imagine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#44]
btt
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I was one of the first to buy a Toyota Highlander last January.  I tried several of the usual Jeeps and the Four Runner.  This is by far a more comfortable ride, with a lot of cushy options like leather.  No mechanical problems and many many comfortable highway miles and a few going through the woods and down powerlines.  For light duty off roading and very comfortable highway driving, I think the Highlander is terrific.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#46]
93 Nissan Pathfinder. Zero Problems. It is a true "Urban Assault Vehicle".....

Best I ever owned though was a 1969 Toyota Landcruiser (the real one).
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#47]
WE have gray/green 95 Grand Cherokee and like it. Plan to keep it for years as has 4liter IL engine and last year the 4 wheel drive system was off road version in this model according to Jeep mechanic. Beware on purchase as some of the 4WDRs sold dont have good ground clearence for any off road and come with street tires. We are happy both with Jeep,Warranty,and dealer service. It has been off road and does great!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#48]
My mom has had 2 jeep grand cherokees.  I dont see the point.  They are big, annoying, she doesnt have 5 kids *only me and my sister, I drive, and shes in college*, and you can fit pretty much all your groceries in a normal car.  The only time that car has gone off roading was when she wouldnt get off her damn cell phone, or trying to do her makeup.

I dont see the point in SUV's, unless you haul alot of shit, need alot of cargo space, or have lots of money and lots of kids.  Unfortunently, 99% of the people I see in these SUV's dont have ANY of the above.  Really a waste of gas.

I sure hope none of you guys drive a green tahoe and live in barrington.  I almost got run off the fucking road the other day by some dumbass talking on a cellphone, sped up trying to pass me and get infront of me in the right lane, right as the "lane merging" sign came up.  For some unknown reason he wouldnt back off, and started merging INTO me, as  I maintianed speed.  So I downshifted *thank god* and left in a hurry.  Then he started tailgating me, flashing brights, the works, so I slammed on the brakes and sent his ass off the fucking road, as he veered to avoid me.  I hope he liked that ditch.  I have no tolerance for people who use SUV's as tanks, or who just have them just because they want to look cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top