Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2001 1:09:34 PM EDT
"WASHINGTON (AP) - The House gave overwhelming approval Wednesday to a compromise anti-terrorism bill giving police new power to secretly search the homes of terrorism suspects, tap all their phones and track their use of the Internet. ..."

[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011024/ts/attacks_terror_laws.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#1]
OK and?...................

What are you up to that you should even give a damn if they look it to you?
This bill does not add up to a police state.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What are you up to that you need an A2 carbine ar15 style rifle for?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Yes, but I am sure that like the definitions of "militia" and "individuals," the definition of terrorist will also change.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess the real question here, is what exactly constitutes a "Terrorist Suspect".
Someone who owns a Gun? Someone who made a remark that was derogatory in nature about our governmnet on a newsgroup, or web site?

We should be VERY careful Here.....
The "Terrorist Inquisitions" are about to begin...

Rich
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing at all,and they why I don't give a damn what anybody thinks about it.

They can check me out if they want to and when the find JACK! then they can move on,nothing to get all hopped up about.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, but I am sure that like the definitions of "militia" and "individuals," the definition of terrorist will also change.
View Quote

Yeah but thats not what thins is,if they did that it would a be a hole new story.

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I think a2carbine is a sheep in wolfs clothing.

The point is they can search your home without a warrant and say "oh, we suspected him of terrorist activity."
Any law that allows the Constitution to be bypassed we should be wary of.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
If we assume that for today the intent is an honest effort to find terrorists, tomorrow it can be used against us.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
It brings a whole new meaning to the word "treason" if you ask me.  I can't believe our legislators would sell us out in a wave of emotional hysteria.  Oh wait, yes I can--they did it once before after OKC.

Why must the American people suffer loss of liberty in the fight against terrorism?  We are not the enemy.  If federal agents couldn't do their job before, there is no reason to think that they can do it now either.  

But as we've seen in Britain--all the cameras, and face recognition and all the eavesdropping originally intended to fight IRA terrorists, is now routinely used against everyday people, and much, much more often.  In fact, no face recognition system in Britain has ever managed to actually catch a terrorist.

The secret searches provision in the terror bill really pisses me off.  Totally, unequivocally unconstitutional.

Security Comes Before Liberty:

[url]http://freedomofpress.tripod.com/wsj4.html[/url]

Tapped Out:

[url]http://www.thenewrepublic.com/101501/rosen101501.html[/url]

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They can check me out if they want to and when the find JACK! then they can move on,nothing to get all hopped up about.
View Quote

Foolish.

There are so many various laws ont he books, that if they "check you out" they will find numerous crimes that you have committed.

The average person can not go throught he day with out several misdemeanors and at least 1 felony law being broken.

If they want you, they will get you, why make it easy for them?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess this:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no
Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things
to be seized."

Is just as obscure and and illigitimate as this:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

and as outdated as the rest of the Constitution and BOR our soon to be.

If they can walk all over any amendment, they can walk over them all.

-Justin
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#12]
We've been living in a police state for quite a while. Most have not noticed, many have. Many more will get the message as we give up our freedoms in the name of defending liberty. Don't think for a minute that they will give you back your rights once they take them. I'm sorry to say this because alot of people here are thinking that the assault weapon ban will "go away". It will sunset, no doubt, but they will have an even wider ban or require them to be under NFA laws. a2carbine, if they come in the middle of the night and trash your house, kill your pets, and run your ass through the mill because someone told them they thought you were a "Terrorist" with evil weapons, you gonna get hopped up?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Foolish.

There are so many various laws ont he books, that if they "check you out" they will find numerous crimes that you have committed.

The average person can not go throught he day with out several misdemeanors and at least 1 felony law being broken.

If they want you, they will get you, why make it easy for them?
View Quote

That what I'm saying!
Whats the big deal about this one? It's just to make the sheeple think they are being looked after.

Some of you guys need to find some thing better to do with your time,why do you feel the need to jump my a$$ if I don't what to go to war with the FEDs every damn time they pass a new law.[>:/]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Know what. Take a look at the history of the RICO statute. It was originally intended to prosecute organized crime. Now all kinds of people are charged under it with nothing whatsoever to do with organized crime.Its definition has broadened to say the least.
God only knows what these laws will be used for in a few years.
I recall reading somewhere that an act of terrorism could be defined as breaking a window at a post office.
BP
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

yup, its the ol' "if you got nothing to hide you have nothing to fear" response. I just dont want to open the door for them to to this to [b] me [/b]
eventually someone will find a why to apply this to the common joe..
kinda like the current law about , if you have a large amount of cash and the officer does not like your reason why... it is confiscated...

baby steps ,,  thats how it  starts....
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#17]
If it is truly unconstitutional then the supreme court will say so.  Without a dought. It will have to be run by their department to. Especially OUR(THIS) Supreme court.  

Benjamin

Just because the agents have acted first and said sorry second in certain ocassions doesn't mean that the supreme court will not rule against the anti-terrorism bill. Secondly when the first person who is innocent is hit, You will see every Liberty minded Think Tank and law organization in the country run that one up to the supreme court.  And it will get ruled upon.

Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the nazi's used to search without warrents also
john
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]
EVIL has Won, Terror Begins.

^^
[size=1]Allege handgun control master plan for TOTAL
Gun Confiscation Dis-Armament.[/size=1][url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]
[size=1]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY  Implant Micro-chip[/size=1][url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/da/tech.htm[/url]  

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth , Liberate Your Mind
We Are At WAR

FIXED BAYONETS

VX

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:08:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If we assume that for today the intent is an honest effort to find terrorists, tomorrow it can be used against us.
View Quote

Exactly correct except for changing "can be" to "will be".[IMG]http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/contrib/dvv/po.gif[/IMG]

Yeah, I guess I can be counted in with the tinfoil crowd[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#21]
WTF?

The terrorism bill has nothing to do with warrantless searches or surveillance. It does expand some warrant authority, and makes the law more current for our era of high-speed instant communications. Where the heck is anyone getting the idea that this violates the 4th Amendment?
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#22]
tin-foil beanieon...all of you guys who seem to think this is harmless...please look up the over-riding authority of the homeland defense
group.....hint...it ain't answerable to the supreme court.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top