Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2001 4:48:45 PM EDT

I mean that is any better than a standard carbine.

I just don't get it. Now I have to say that I've never shot a Steyr. And obviously not the British SA80 (I think that's right) or French FAMAS. But I'm familiar with the Bushmaster bullpup, and the AK bullpups as well.

What exactly about a good bullpup would be any better than a M4? Lightweight, compact, adaptable, ergonomic.

I'm not trying to be arguentative, just wondering.

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The concept behind the bullpup is a compact size with a full size barrel. Most of these, like the AUG, have much longer barrels than the M4 thus higher velocities.

I am really taking a liking to the FN F-2000, it's modular like the M4, has a full length barrel, you don't need to move your hand to use the grenade launcher and unlike the other bullpups is fully ambidextrous. No hot brass in the neck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I,m left handed so personally I see nothing I like, the British Army was getting the SA80 as I was getting out.  Everyone was looking at their SLR'S and then the SA80, kinda like a Yugo parked next to a Hummer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the recoil like in a bullpup compared to a standard AR?  Given they're both in the same chambering.  I'd think the AR would have more ability to handle and dampen recoil with the bolt buffer spring.  Ain't much behind the bolt on a bullpup...
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#5]
They are real handy, especially for vehicle crews. The difficult ergonomics of magazine changes are less important for them than infantry.

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
i almost feel silly saying this because this is absolutely the WORST reason to pick and choose a firearm, but i think they're just plain ugly!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Why a bullpup?  Because, it adds to the sense of adventure!  Having the chamber that close to your head (and eyes) adds to the danger if something goes wrong.z
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just don't get it. Now I have to say that I've never shot a Steyr. And obviously not the British SA80 (I think that's right) or French FAMAS. But I'm familiar with the Bushmaster bullpup, and the AK bullpups as well.
View Quote

The problem is you've never fired a bullpup.

There are no AK bullpups (just a crappy toy-like aftermarket stock), and the Bushmaster M17 is such a huge piece of shit that no one in his right mind would ever carry it into combat.

The Steyr AUG, on the other hand, is a true joy to hold in your arms.

The funny thing is I always hated the AUG and thought it looked stupid - until I fired one, that is.  My buddy had to taunt and cajole me into trying it because I had no interest in shooting that crappy "space gun."  But by the end of the first magazine I was hooked!!!  I started thunbing the rounds out of loaded AR mags just so I'd have more ammo to shoot in the AUG!!  I honestly thought about slipping it into the wrong gun case just so I could take it home "by accident" and spend more time with this wonderful rifle!!

Needless to say, I've since went out and bought a few.

AUGs point naturally and come up to your shoulder like it was on rails.  And the perceived recoil is far less than an AR, which is odd considering similar weight guns shooting the same cartridge.  But there's just a small push straight back on your shoulder and no muzzle rise.  It's a trip being able to watch the target in between rounds and see the impact.

Besides, a 21" AUG is shorter overall than a 14.5" M4 - talk about fast handling!!!

I've also fired the SA80 and FAMAS, and while the ergonomics didn't fit me as well as the AUG, they still had similar qualities.

So, seamusmcoi, the only thing I can say is try a real bullpup before you knock it, and you just might be very surprized.  And you just might end up owning one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's a pic of the FN F2000:

[img]http://www.fn-collectors.net/images/f2000action.jpg[/img]

Now all we need are a few spaceships and we can go Alien hunting... [:D]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i almost feel silly saying this because this is absolutely the WORST reason to pick and choose a firearm, but i think they're just plain ugly!
View Quote

theres a joke here somewhere...
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought an AUG because of the looks!  I think they look great and have been sold on the performance.  When I lay the AUG on the same table as my AR's, people always end up migrating to the AUG first.  Positives: reliable performance, cool looks, quick and easy to break down to clean or change barrels.  Negatives: poor trigger, no long-range accuracy, limited ability to customize.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Low recoil, 1/2" groups @ 100, 30" overall length, cost less than ar, Bushmaster 2 yr. warranty, better gas system, and tough as hell.  Magazine change is slightly slower than with my ar's but the paper and coyotes aren't shooting back.  What exactly do you guys want?  The M17 is great.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]
i so wish i had the money for a aug i love the one i got to shoot felt like a natural extenstion to my arm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top