Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2001 11:33:58 AM EDT
I know this is alittle off the topic, but I am trying to replace the tranny (5 speed manual) in my 96 GMC K1500 and cannot for the life of me get the speedometer cable off the drivers side of the tranny.  Does anyone know how this comes off or if there is a special trick to it.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about the new ones, but usually it's just a nut that threads on, so just back it off and pull. At least on the old models. And pull gently, BTW.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that is what I was used to, and expecting too.  These newer ones just have some sort of sleeve and no nut that I could see.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
what are you swapping in?

the tip: there's no substitute for experience. i learned that when i worked at a transport truck repair for a summer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
just putting in another stock 5 speed
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have found that if you look at them long enough, and then go get a really big hammer.....anything will come loose.  If it breaks its just something new that you wont have to replace later.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Call the dealership service dept. You might get a dick on the other end of the phone, but there is a chance that you will hook up with someone who will cheerfully answer your questions. What have you got to lose (loose?) I have been on BOTH ends of the phone before and I always tried to help. The guy who started off with "I'm a dumbass and I need help" always got it. Try that approach!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top