Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2001 6:47:19 PM EDT
anyone have a M4 type collapsible stock on a 20in upper ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one, but I've seen a couple of full length rifles with collapsable stocks and to me it just doesn't look right. I wouldn't own one, but to each his own.....

Michael
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#2]
ditto on the not looking right, but I dont care how other people like their rifles.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
anyone have a M4 type collapsible stock on a 20in upper ?
View Quote

Welcome, Eastwood123.
Please allow me to jump right in and say this was one of my first questions on the Forum.

I was told by the knowledgeable folks here and verified it at Bushmaster that the TeleStock buffer and spring are of a different size than the full-stock version and would be incompatible with the long gas tube found on the 20+" bbls.; including the V-MATCH 24" that I was ordering.
It would've looked cool, but, would not work correctly.
I opted to get the "TeleStyle" stock from Bushmaster and it will work with both the shorter Carbine and Dissipator gas tubes as well as the longer full-size gas tubes.
It does work with both, I've used it with both the Dissipator and V-MATCH 24 uppers with no problem.
I was grateful for the info I got here because it kept me from making a potentially costly mistake, no matter how much I wanted to do it!
It did NOT keep me from assembling the pieces and getting a picture, though, so, if you want to know what the short-stock/long-bbl. looks like:
[url]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/sg/cr/B3/RO44007.jpg[/url]

Form follows function. Now it looks like this:
[url]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/sS/QJ/4K/e128100.jpg[/url]

The short half looks like this:
[url]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/023/gZ/zz/kf/QM69298.jpg[/url]

Bushmaster:
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/[/url]

TeleStyle buttstock (originally referred to by me as a "fuxed buttstick"):
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/1005-087-8988pek.asp[/url]

Hope you find this useful.
Let us know what config you end up with.
Seeya in Traffic.

...edited to remind myself that what comes around goes around.  Thanks, fellas.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
btt for the [newbie] (s).
I owe it to those who helped me. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Army seem to think it will work. I also have my 20 inch set up this way but have not fired it since I made the switch. If it coughs up a lung I will let you know.

[url]www.army-technology.com/contractor_images/aimpoint/aimpoint5.jpg[/url]

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one on my 20" upper, thought it looked silly, and replaced it with an A2 stock.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:49:42 AM EDT
[#7]
But did the rifle still work? You know, fire and cycle with it on?
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:32:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 16.25", cut down from a 20" Colt Chrome lined HBAR, with the collapsable stock and it works fine with anything I feed it. Yes, the gas port is about 2" from the end of the barrel.  I save all my reloading experiments and left overs from matches and use that to waste them in the dirt pile.

Initially I had cut off a coil and a half of the buffer spring to get it to function but after the new bolt/bolt carrier got broke in (McFarrlen ring) I wouldn't think it necessary.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I made an M4gery, with the bushy 16" barrel. Unless you are doing Service Rifle matches, accuracy is fine with the shorter bbl. I would stick with an A1 or A2 stock on the longer bbl.

[b][size=1]Don Out[/size=1][/b]
[b][size=4][red]AIRBORNE!
2/505 PIR
H-MINUS[/red][/size=4][/b]

[i]" We're paratroopers, and THIS is as far as the bastards are going!"   Unknown 101st Paratrooper, Bastogne, 1944.[/i]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#10]
the main reason I like 20in barrells is the noise level of 16in and shorter barrells. This is especially true for the Ycomp 16in bushmaster upper i used to have. It was downright painful.

I think ive settled on the "fixed" tele-style stock from bushmaster.

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But did the rifle still work? You know, fire and cycle with it on?
View Quote

Yeah, it works just fine with the collapsible stock.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's mine:

[img]http://www.ereliant.net/~jshaw/pics/guns/carsp1-case.jpg[/img]

Some say it doesn't look right, but I don't care.  It functions perfectly and makes it so it's comfortable for both my wife and I to shoot it.  It's the Rock River Arms 4 position collapsable on my Colt SP1.  I've since replaced the handguards with round ones.

If I can find another large hole upper, I'm going to build a carbine upper for it.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey GBT, have you checked out those Daniel's Defense uppers?  For $179, you get a flat top, large hole, pushping drilled upper.

That's cheaper than some of these guys are selling stripped SP1 upper receivers for.

I am seriously giving it consideration for an M4 project.... if I can't find a cheap large hole upper with forward assist and shell deflector.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I just saw that.  They're made by Les Baer even.  I wonder how many he has left.  I'm still trying to pay off the SP1, and really need to take care of that before buying anything else, but supplies are limited.  I've got some contracting work going, so maybe I'll have enough to buy one.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top