Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2001 3:15:20 PM EDT
Tell your constituents what they want to hear just to get their votes.

[url]www.nj.com/news/times/index.ssf?/news/times/10-19-ESAR1AQB.html[/url]

Gun control, tolls top third debate

10/19/01

By MARK PERKISS
Staff Writer

Republican Bret Schundler and Democrat Jim McGreevey started off their third debate last night highlighting policy differences but shifted quickly to attacking each other, with each saying the other isn't truthful.

The most vociferous clashes between the two candidates for governor took place on the issues of gun control and removing tolls from the Garden State Parkway, continuing the increasingly strident tone the campaign has taken in recent weeks.

Ironically, the most contentious portion of the event came after a woman in the audience at Rowan University in Glassboro asked both candidates if they could focus on people's needs rather than political attacks.

Schundler, 42, the former mayor of Jersey City, and McGreevey, 44, the mayor of Woodbridge, said it was important to point out differences -- and then turned on each other.

"Jim has attacked me on the gun issue," Schundler said, referring to advertisements by McGreevey criticizing the Republican for supporting people being allowed to carry concealed weapons.

[b]"I'm telling you the gun laws will not change if I'm governor," Schundler said. "Ask him to take his ads down because he says I'm going to change them. I'm promising right here they're not going to change. He keeps on telling you what I said. I'm telling you they're not going to change."[/b]

"What's interesting is," McGreevey started to respond.

"Listen to this one," Schundler interjected.

[b]"It's not what you tell us tonight, Bret," McGreevey said. "It's what you signed in the Christian Coalition questionnaire with your own handwriting. You can't say one thing in front of one audience and something else in front of another audience."[/b]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
In other words "Really, I am communist, I swear, I want to destroy the freedom of this country too!!!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top