Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2001 1:02:37 PM EDT
Ever since I moved from a semi-arid environment to the west side of the Cascades I've had serious allergy problems.  Must be the mold spores than proliferate in this dark, dank, miserable #$%*& climate. Never had this problem back home, even with all the dust. I'm fine as long as I'm outside but indoors I'm miserable.  Opening up the patio door to get fresh air in the place helps somewhat. I'm a very neat person, so its not a cleaning issue. I've spent all morning sneezing and have gone through about half a role of asswipe so far.  I don't even bother buying cleenex anymore, a box a day gets spendy.  I'm seriously considering going to the doctor about it, but I'm afraid I'll end up with a $50.00 a month prescription that will mess with my head. @#$%!*  

Just wanted to vent...  
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Do what brouhaha suggested and also check your ducts and other areas for mold and mites.  It's a fact that indoors pollution is 3-5 times worse than outside.  Watch for when your allergies get worse, like in the morning or when the A/C is on.  This will help you figure out what may be contributing to them.  Also, if you just moved into your place the previous owner may have had a pet which means the hairs/scent may still be in the carpets, shades, and A/C ducts, so they might beefit from a good [i]quality[/i] cleaning.  Another thing to look for is the types of plants and flowers around your home.  Also keep in mind that as we age we become more prone to allergies.

Good luck

sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m taking Claritin, which is costing me $10 a month through my medical plan.

It’s not as effective as Benadryl (spelling?), but it doesn’t mess you up either.

Hate to say it, but you’ve got them worse than me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I could find out what the hell I am allergic to. Every couple of months I break out in hives that last for an etire week. I thought it was some crap in the ammo cans I bought but that ain't it. The last time it happened I had a hive in the sole of my foot and the itchiness drove me to the point of scraping it with the edge of a knife to scratch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have a waterpick, this little attachment works wonders for mold spore/pollen allergies. It's called a Grossan nasal irrigator. About 20 bucks or so. Mix up a little non-iodized (salt) saline solution, bend forward into sink, put in one nostril and let the solution fill your nasal cavity and come back down the other side to drain. A few minutes of this will not only flush out allergens but the saline also helps to reduce swelling and histamines in your sinuses. It is the best thing that I've ever found for a non-stop running nose. No drowseyness and no more tissues. Clear Breathing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The combination of Flonase with Allegra-D works wonders for me. No drowsiness at all. It's a little expensive w/o insurance. I pay $20 a month, but I think it's over $150 if you have to pay yourself.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Claritin Baby!!

that shit WORKS! Call yer Doc and see if he'll set you up with some samples.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:20:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Bigshooter:

Look up "Ozone generator" on the net...you can build one for under 30 bucks and they work really really well. Just check it out, you won't be sorry. They take ALL pollen, spores etc out of the air.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top