Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2001 5:01:50 AM EDT
I am about to purchase my first AR.  A 20" Bushy for $750. Im looking for advice on quality instructional books or videos. Id also like to get feedback on some of my observations from this site. 1 - steel cased ammo is hard on ARs (does this mean most brassed cased NC is OK?) 2 - GI mags are the best, but orlites, thermolds and most others are generally reliable (are there any to flat out avoid?).  I realize that there are no guarantees.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I couldn't advise you on which book or video would be best, although I do have a copy of the US Army operator's manual for the M16A2 which has answerewd all my questions.  I picked it up at a gunshow, though I've also seen copies at some surplus stores.

I've never had reliability problems with any of my magazines, and I've got USGI, Thermolds, and Orlites.  As far as ammo is concerned, I only run brass cased because of the negative comments I've heard about steel cased.  I've heard different theories as to why steel or laquered cases shouldn't be run in an AR, and  they all sound logically valid, so I've never felt compelled to try anything but brass.

I have alot of Wolf .223 that my Mini gets a steady diet of though.  Haven't had a single problem with it yet.

Have fun with your Bushmaster, it's a great rifle, and welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't really recommend any books or videos, but STAY AWAY from steel-bodied commercial magazines (Triple-K, etc.)  The USGI, Thermold, and Orlites should all work fine.  If you want (don't know why but you might) a 10-round mag that actually holds 10 rounds and works great, DPMS makes one.

As to Wolf ammo, some people have no problems, others do.  The AR is different from the Mini-14 in that the combustion gases end up back in the receiver of the AR.  Sometimes, especially in rapid fire, this causes the chamber to get HOT and some people have reported that the green lacquer that Wolf uses to protect the steel cases can melt and cause sticking.  A rough chamber can do the same thing.  Perhaps with a Bushmaster chrome-lined chamber it won't be a problem, but you'll just have to try it to see.  Take a cleaning rod with you so you can hammer out the case if it does stick.  

Pretty much any brass cased ammo that's within spec should work fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am about to purchase my first AR.  A 20" Bushy for $750. Im looking for advice on quality instructional books or videos. Id also like to get feedback on some of my observations from this site. 1 - steel cased ammo is hard on ARs (does this mean most brassed cased NC is OK?) 2 - GI mags are the best, but orlites, thermolds and most others are generally reliable (are there any to flat out avoid?).  I realize that there are no guarantees.
View Quote

I own a Colt AR-15, model 6601. I also spent 6 years in the Marine Corps carrying a M-16 every other day (it felt like >gg<).

Save your money on the books & videos, just use the owners manual or this site.

I buy mil-surp GI mags at gunshows for $15-20 each & they all work perfect for me. As others say, stay AWAY from USA brand mags. Guys that use the thermolite mags all say they work ok.

I have been told to avoid the steel case ammo as it's hell on extractors, accelerates wear, etc.

You will need a brass tooth brush to clean off the carbon on the bolt near the gas rings. You'll also need a chamber brush to keep the chamber nice & clean from carbon. Again, gunshows are a great source for cleaning gear, patches, etc.

Also I recommend a one-piece cleaning rod for the bore versus the multi-piece rod that screws together. The one-piece rods are usually made from stainless steel & thus last a long time. And clean your bore from the chamber end, NOT the muzzle end.

Good luck & you should just love shooting the AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top