Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2001 9:08:08 PM EDT
Hi all,

I have a hard drive that has Windows NT4 on it. It has been partitioned into 2 drives.  is ther any free software out there that i can zero out this drive?  if so, could you give me the web address.

Thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Use FDISK on your windows CD. Remove all logical drives, then partitions, then re partition. After all that format it.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually this is quite simple to do.  First you need a start up diskette.  If you don't know what this is check under the help menu in the computer, it will tell you how to make one.  AFter you have that insert the diskette in the slot, then shut down the computer.  When it restarts it will first check the diskette for info and you should get a black screen with a command prompt.  At this point type in FDisk and follow the instructions from there.  This will allow you to erase existing partitions and re format the hard drive.

[b]WARNING---YOU WILL LOSE ALL EXISTING DATA DOING THIS!![/b]

If you have more questions...let me know, I'll be up for a while

sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You might take a look at Partition Resizer:
[url]http://www.voodoofiles.com/1412[/url]

Oops, no download there......look here:
[url]http://www.webmasterfree.com/software/partition-resizer-sp.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try the Maxtor website.  [url]www.maxtor.com[/url]
Their drives come with software, and I'm almost positive it's also on the site.
View Quote

[red]NO!!!!!!!!!![/red]

Under absolutely NO circumstances do you want to use MaxBlast (aka EZ-Drive) on your drive.  If you do, and if anything EVER goes wrong with your computer, you will be completely and totally fucked.

If you have a hard disk that is too large for your motherboard's BIOS to support, then the motherboard must be pretty ancient, so it's a good opportunity to replace it.  All IMHO.

I have two drives sitting in my gunsafe, waiting for the day that I can hold the Maxtor software engineering department hostage until the bastards recover my data -- a "friend" installed a new drive on my machine, and did me the "favor" of setting it (and the existing drive) up with Maxtor's crap, about six months before the motherboard fried itself. . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top