Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2007 8:33:42 AM EDT
What's the hive mind say about these?

What I find on the net says they run like a fine tuned 1911 witch makes sense.

But is it worth the $$.

Also I have big hands.  I have a Para Ord that for me is more comfortable than a standard 1911.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to work as a forman for LAR.  I was there when the last one of those rolled off the line.  You wont find a better piece anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#2]
LAR Grizzly's give me a special feeling!  
I used to want one in .45 Winchester Magnum, but since there's a .50 available.....

Go for it, man!

ps - how much?
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
LAR Grizzly's give me a special feeling!  
I used to want one in .45 Winchester Magnum, but since there's a .50 available.....

Go for it, man!

ps - how much?

The Mark V runs from $1500 to $2000+
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#4]
They seem pretty cool but I'll stick with my 10mm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ps - how much?

The Mark V runs from $1500 to $2000+

Ouch!
Hell, if you can afford it then it gives you the bragging rights

Thats still on the low side for magnum cal autos.

Yeah, i guess you're right - look at the prices of Desert Eagles and AMT Automags... Some of the original .44 Automags like the one from Death Wish[?or was it Dirty Harry?] are fetching upwards of $2500-$2800

The Griz got me on several points, In order.

1.  50AE:  Plenty of power and big fifty factor.
2.  1911:  Proven design some parts cross compatible.  Gunsmith friendly.  Not as heavy or complex as other magnum autos.
3.  Adaptable:  Barrels in other calibers available.  .45winmag .45acp and others
4.  Price:  Good value when compared to other magnum autos
5.  Parts:  LAR though not making this pistol any more will still service it.

Still.  Who wouldn't want a 1911 in a big fifty chambering?

Now a CCW rig Hmmm...
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Still.  Who wouldn't want a 1911 in a big fifty chambering?

I was checking out the .50 GI by Gun Crafter Industries
www.guncrafterindustries.com/model1_50gi.shtml

It pushes a 300-325gr. bullet along @ 700-850 FPS -- no .50AE, but an effective bipedal stopper IMO. Big, slow-moving, heavy slug.

.50GI's on left, .45ACP far right

I agree with what they say about the cartridge:

The 50GI round was designed from the ground up to launch 50 caliber bullets from the Model No.1 pistol. Many experts agree that heavy bullets in conjunction with a large cross sectional bullet is crucial for increased stopping power. It is becoming more and more evident the importance of a heavier bullet in relation to stopping power. The 50GI is a low pressure round that doesn’t give you a big concussion blast like high pressure rounds such as the 10mm does. This makes it more tactically sound in a firefight. The 50GI case was designed with a .45ACP case head size which allows for a barrel and magazine swap so either round can be used in the same pistol with only a barrel and mag swap. This further increases its versatility and value. We also offer a variety of factory loaded ammunition and a complete line of reloading components for the hand loading enthusiast

Link Posted: 9/30/2007 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I had an early Mk1 version in .45WinMag.  I distinctly remembering the first ever shot going into the X.  Subsequent shots were all over because I was shaking so much.

I eventually had the barrel Mag-na-Ported which was a big improvement in reducing muzzle rise.  I enjoyed shooting in indoor ranges because after one mag I had the entire section to myself.
At that time all the Win ammo I could find was already old or used some weird powder because it gave spectacular 6 foot muzzle flame and 3 feet out of each of the ports.  Took out a few light fixtures on the aforementioned indoor ranges.
After about 300 rds some of the internal parts started to break.  Extractor, that round link on the bottom of the barrel and the pin holding it.  LAR replaced them for free.  There was a scopemount for the gun but it was useless with the awesome recoil always shifting POI.
It's a fun gun.  Useless for CCW despite what Hollywood shows and expensive to shoot.  Handloading is almost a must for the .45WM and .50AE.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I mentioned this in the other thread with a pic of that gun, but I'll say it again.

That might be the ugliest damn gun I've ever seen. Why not make one that looks more like a nice, normal, clean 1911? Why does it have to look like that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top