Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Now what's that word I'm thinking of???

View Quote

Hoople and The Beer Slayer win the prize! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Geez dude, you signed up to be a SOLDIER, not a dentist who works on soldiers.
Give me back MY 30K and move to Canada immediatley.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
kramrd,

Really, I can understand how a person, morally opposed to the taking of human life under any circumstance, could have been conscripted into the military during the draft. That person would be entitled to announce themselves as a "Conscientious Objector", and an appropriate  noncombatant duty could be found for them. They could still serve their country with "Honor".

But to join an "All Volunteer" force, and after taking all of the training and benefits without considering the consequences is stupid. To then decide that you don't like the terms of your employment, and try to convince us that you are a conscientious objector is a lie, and an insult to those persons before you who rightly could claim conscientious objector status. And in this instance, it is not just Cowardice in it's worst form, but the outright theft of the honor earned by those who did serve with a conscientious objection to war.

Dave
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you were accused of being a Man, would there be enough evidence to convict you?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF...there could be some GI up there needing a root canal!

This is why most of the guys I know would shoot themselves before they were officers (besides taking less pay)

You are an officer for christ sake...if they need a rifle to the front then they need a rifle to the front...or some kid's dressed up like GI's are gonna get killed...

Maybe you get there late...hesitation is just as much of a killer...How much training do you think a medic has?? BCT...and what they learn from keeping there eyes and ears open and listening to those "dumb" grunts...

My suggestion is if you're not ready, get your ass out there and get ready while you still have tons of time!!

Dan
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]
And now for the other barrel, kramrd;

My wife wants a word with you:

Being a mother of two children and a wife of a Marine.  Oh, also a retired Navy person myself, I have TWELVE words for you;

GET OVER YOURSELF AND FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY YOU DAMN LIMP DICK!!!!!

AZ2(AW) Donna J. Geisert
USN Retired
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]
But this guy is just a Dentist. I'm thinking, WTF about the infantry sign-ups and officers!? Pretty scary if some puke like myself gets assigned to their command and our poor officer is frightened by the noisy artillery and gets us all killed because he can't handle it. If anything they should be booted or stripped of their command.
Judas! Wouldn't want some punk telling me he just feels bad about shooting live ammo at the enemy and he better collect magazines. Get rid of 'em.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I got activated for this new "war".  I am willing to do my part.  Those others you speak of are FU#$ing PANZIES!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
We should treat them as traitors and execute them...
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dis-honerable discharge, make them pay back all pay and benafits then sue them for entering into a false contract,
or didnt they have to raise their right hand and swear to " defend my country against all enemies forign and domestic"

and then beat the livin S!#T out of  em just because.
 [stick]     [:)>]
View Quote

AMEN!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is where I draw the line... I'm just a dentist and WILL NOT go to the front... that aint what I signed on to do!  YES, I'm willing to die for my country should an incoming missle hit base camp or the aircraft carrier that I'm on.. but I sure as Heck aint gonna put my ass intentionally in a ringer.

I signed on to fix teeth.  That's my story.  IF ordered to the front, I intend to refuse.  I'll face UCMJ then go back to my cushy state job or go back into private practice once they send me home.

Does that make me a non-patriot?  Of course not.  I am willing to serve in the capacity for which I am best at doing.
M.
View Quote

Actually, it does make you a non-patriot.  Whether you believe it or not, you signed up to defend this country and your fellow Americans.  If you should happen to die in defense of your country, so be it, that is what being a patriot is about.  Obviously you didn't sign up to simply die for the USA, but to risk death in our (or your) honor and defense.  
Saying that you are just a dentist is a joke...
That's part of what makes other countries think that we're only aboout selfishness and greed....
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Being a mother of two children and a wife of a Marine.  Oh, also a retired Navy person myself, I have TWELVE words for you;

AZ2(AW) Donna J. Geisert
USN Retired
View Quote

THAT'S MY GIRL!

Is it any wonder I married her? And she bought an AR-10A4 for me too, for Father's Day last year!!!  

Semper Fi

Dave
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brother Maynard! Bring up the Holy Hand Grenade!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
SSgtUSMC - Sounds like you found yourself a good one!  I wouldn't want to make her mad though.  [:D]

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

AZ2(AW) Donna J. Geisert
USN Retired
View Quote

Way to say it!! What's that saying about women in the Navy? [;)] This guy needs to get out and go back to his "cushie" state job, oop to bad BCD disqualifies him.

Former
OS3 S.D. Story
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Let me give you an example of my situation:
View Quote

Did you not realize that the principle job of the military is to kill people and break things? You knew what you were getting into when you signed on for your 30K.  Now that the bill comes due, you wanna turn pussy, 'cause that ain't your job. What a touchy-feely "army of one" reaction. Bill would be so proud of you.  I think I'm going to be ill.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Dude there a little thing called frendly fire and it usually happens to officers in the field..

Just remember this if/when your out there..
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Well I don't know what kramrd was thinking but I will tell you guys this.

That original news article was crap. No hard numbers, look at the sources. Its just like the VPC and "67 times more likely to kill a relative" again.

There are hundreds, maybe even more than a thousand cowards bailing out- [i]in all the services combined[/i]. That is what, 1.8 Million on active duty? Guess what else? If DS is any guide they were also shitheads marking time and most units were glad to be rid of them. This a tiny fraction of the problem the military had in the wars where we used the draft. Much less the "bounty jumpers" and "substitutes" of the Civil War.

Yeah they are cowards, they are also crooks stealing the publics money, but there are going to be some crooks in any large body of people. It is NOT indicative of any national problem.  And it is far better to get rid of them now than to force them to go and have them screw up under fire.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Sir, please send me your name, unit, and rank.
I want to be sure that we won't be on the same ship together or that I won't have to be worked on by you if I need to visit a forward medical facility.
I'll be more than happy to pass along your sentiments to the Secretary of the Navy, the Chief on Naval Operations, the Commanding Officer of the Medical Corps and my elected representitive (and my Commander in Chief) President Bush.

Quoted:          BUT, and this is a big BUT!  I recently found out that IF a dentist was deployed, they assemble into "Forward Teams"... you dont actually go behind enemy lines but a dentist and 2 assistants go forward to set up a supporitve unit.  In WAR dental augments medical.
This is where I draw the line... I'm just a dentist and WILL NOT go to the front... that aint what I signed on to do!        
I signed on to fix teeth.  That's my story.  IF ordered to the front, I intend to refuse.  I'll face UCMJ then go back to my cushy state job or go back into private practice once they send me home.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
For every hour spent in combat with the enemy, we spent a month at war with our own army.  Remember, you are not there for the folks back home or mom's apple pie -- you are there for your buddies and respect for yourself.  Not too many people like war, or the military in time of war, it ain't like the movies!  If you can't see a reason for going, better to bug out now than later.  I would'nt want you at my back. -- rant over!--ALLONS11
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I served during Just Cause and Desert Storm and volunteered for both, and feel shorted because I didn't get either. Thanks kramrd for wasting a slot.... Get out now!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Let this broken down, hobbled, overweight turd (me) fight in your place.

View Quote

Hey, screw you buddy! Did you see my picture? How come you're making fun of me? [:D]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:53:26 AM EDT
[#25]
If a Officer refuses his duty in the face of the enemy it is considered cowardice.  Although it hasn't happened in over 50 years, people still get shot for that.  To say you are unwilling to go forward and do your duty because of the danger involves, makes me sick. And honestly you should be ashamed of accepting a commission in any service.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm wondering why anyone with military experience is surprised that there are folks in the military who only joined for the: money(bonus, not the real pay), "job training", because they had nothing going for them in civilian life, and scholarships.

Back around '78 there seemed to be plenty of "I ain't gonna fight in no war" types in the "Jumpin' Junkies" - the 82nd. I got so sick of people whining about having to even go to the field to train.
Since then I've worked for the DOD, specifically the Army, and I've seen it at the hospitals frequently. Many of the Doctors I knew (in residency especially) had only joined because of the scholarship opportunity and being able to start practicing medicine without a $100,000.00 loan to pay. Also, alot less worry about malpractice, etc.
When Desert Storm came up you should have heard/seen the worry these folks were going through about having to go overseas. I have to say though, I did meet a number of Docs who realized their obligations and served with honor. We'll never know the actual numbers, but I'd be willing to guess that at least a third of the armed services members probably signed up with no intention of fighting. You can't really blame just one individual (the troop) for the mentality of this, although you can blame them for having comitted to the military. Look at the uniforms: The class A's in the Army are sick looking. They should bring back the Kahki's - starched! Military vets need to be better respected in the press and entertainment industry. How many " 'Nam vets" have you seen portrayed as broken, drug abusing, violent, lower-class citizens? Now, how many 'Nam vets have you seen portrayed as responsible, successful, intelligent, functional citizens of this country? Wearing the military uniform or parts of  it now is the norm for asshole/rednecks (comared to non-asshole rednecks), and the Anarchist movement. How many uniforms are proudly worn by service members out in the public eye?

The military NEEDS the docs, nurses, lawyers, and yes the dentists, etc. who don't want to pick up a gun and fight. Contrary to what you think things should be like, the reality is there aren't enough people joining the military who, from day one, realize and accept that they may be sent into a combat zone to do the job they chose or what the military needs them to do. Even if there was a branch of service designated as support (medical, etc.) but noncombatant, you'd still have some who joined that would do anything to avoid going near a combat zone.
BTW, Doctors, Dentists, etc, don't get firearms training per se. They go to C-4 and maybe shoot a little and that's it for most of them.
I know you want me to go on and on but I have to stop somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Fat_McNasty, whoops, A.D. my weapon just went off Sir!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#29]
There is a Navy Dentist that posthumously received the Medal of Honor for do that very same mission in the First World War; the Dental Clinic for the 2nd MarDiv is named after him.

Sure a lot of non-combat arms guys come in with the understanding their primary duty is not to fight, but they are still in the military and everyone in the military to include doctors, nurse, JAGs and Chaplain cannot say that they are unwilling to do their duty because of fear of personal injury.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was commissioned in the Navy right after dental school and served my time '92 - '95.  The Navy didnt offer a scholarship program at that time and I joined simply to get more clinical experience and get the heck out of Michigan.

After leaving the Navy I went into private practice and now teach in a dental school as the director of the faculty private practice...

I joined the Army Reserve about 18 months ago after they waved a $30,000 sign on bonus in front of me...  So I took it.   Weekend/month and 2 weeks/year drill...  easy, piece-o-cake.  With that, it was my understanding that in time of war, I could be called again to serve my country.  I'm fine with that, which is why I joined the reserves... should I get called up my employer has to keep my job for me.  In private practice, all my patients would have saught treatment elsewhere and I could have lost my practice...

Anyway, after joining the reserves it was also my understanding that I could be deployed overseas like in desert storm... fine.  I dont mine doing dentistry in a tent and best case I could remain back here in the states to back-fill the slots for those who do go overseas.  If I went overseas, I'm cool with the fact that my tent could be hit by a SCUD... I got my SGLI.

BUT, and this is a big BUT!  I recently found out that IF a dentist was deployed, they assemble into "Forward Teams"... you dont actually go behind enemy lines but a dentist and 2 assistants go forward to set up a supporitve unit.  In WAR dental augments medical.

This is where I draw the line... I'm just a dentist and WILL NOT go to the front... that aint what I signed on to do!  YES, I'm willing to die for my country should an incoming missle hit base camp or the aircraft carrier that I'm on.. but I sure as Heck aint gonna put my ass intentionally in a ringer.

Does that make me a non-patriot?  Of course not.  I am willing to serve in the capacity for which I am best at doing.

What I do have is a problem with people who sign on and take the government's bonuses and then when a crisis hits America they say "I dont wanna go".  I'm not one of those people.

So when you hear people say that they are concientious objectors... there may be a small few who have something to back their particular situation up with.

M.
View Quote

Hey, kramrd, does this sound familiar to you:

"I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR (OR AFFIRM) THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC; THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; AND THAT I WILL OBEY THE ORDERS OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE ORDERS OF THE OFFICERS APPOINTED OVER ME, ACCORDING TO REGULATIONS AND THE UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE.  SO HELP ME GOD."

?????????????????????
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#31]

From the UCMJ:

899. ART. 99. MISBEHAVIOR BEFORE THE ENEMY
Any person subject to this chapter who before or in the presence of the enemy--
(1) runs away;
(2) shamefully abandons, surrenders, or delivers up any command, unit, place, or military property which it is his duty to defend;
(3) through disobedience, neglect, or intentional misconduct endangers the safety of any such command, unit, place, or military property;
(4) casts away his arms or ammunition;
(5) is guilty of cowardly conduct;
(6) quits his place of duty to plunder or pillage;
(7) causes false alarms in any command, unit, or place under control of the armed forces;
(8) willfully fails to do his utmost to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy any enemy troops, combatants, vessels, aircraft, or any other thing, which it is his duty so to encounter, engage, capture, or destroy; or
(9) does not afford all practicable relief and assistance to any troops, combatants, vessels, or aircraft of the armed forces belonging to the United States or their allies when engaged in battle;
shall be punished by death or such punishment as a court- martial may direct.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Ban Kramrd from the board and take him out back and beat the shit outta him.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#33]
[url]http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,36921,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Glad to see we still have one news network on our side.

Kramrd you are a disgrace to America. Get out of the military while you still can. because, if you do what you said you will either end up in Leavenworth or a 6' Deep Hole.

Whn you take the oath you are expected to carry out your duties. If those duties include patching people up on the front lines then so be it.

I always liked the show MASH, but I believe this mirrors the mentality of some of the people on that show. Then again even Hawkeye rode a Helicopter to patch a guy up on the front lines once or more. Get with it, you are expected to obey orders. If not, I have no sympathy for you when you are shot for Cowardice in the face of the enemy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I was commissioned in the Navy right after dental school and served my time '92 - '95.  The Navy didnt offer a scholarship program at that time and I joined simply to get more clinical experience and get the heck out of Michigan.

After leaving the Navy I went into private practice and now teach in a dental school as the director of the faculty private practice...

I joined the Army Reserve about 18 months ago after they waved a $30,000 sign on bonus in front of me...  So I took it.   Weekend/month and 2 weeks/year drill...  easy, piece-o-cake.  With that, it was my understanding that in time of war, I could be called again to serve my country.  I'm fine with that, which is why I joined the reserves... should I get called up my employer has to keep my job for me.  In private practice, all my patients would have saught treatment elsewhere and I could have lost my practice...

Anyway, after joining the reserves it was also my understanding that I could be deployed overseas like in desert storm... fine.  I dont mine doing dentistry in a tent and best case I could remain back here in the states to back-fill the slots for those who do go overseas.  If I went overseas, I'm cool with the fact that my tent could be hit by a SCUD... I got my SGLI.

BUT, and this is a big BUT!  I recently found out that IF a dentist was deployed, they assemble into "Forward Teams"... you dont actually go behind enemy lines but a dentist and 2 assistants go forward to set up a supporitve unit.  In WAR dental augments medical.

What I do have is a problem with people who sign on and take the government's bonuses and then when a crisis hits America they say "I dont wanna go".  I'm not one of those people.

So when you hear people say that they are concientious objectors... there may be a small few who have something to back their particular situation up with.

M.
View Quote
Don't you have a primary MOS probly as a ground pounder. When I served in the USMC we had primary and secondary MOS's. Primary infantry, secondary was mechanic. Shit hits the fan you go infantry. Seconday is or was basicly for peace time. Or is it that you are to valuable or just a scum chicken shit?
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
TBS:  This guy isn't ENLISTED, he's an OFFICER who received his commission at the same institution from which I was disenrolled when I didn't get a 1st class PFT and lost my scholarship (I enlisted in the Corps the same day, when not obligated to do so).

I take his existence as a personal insult.
View Quote

Traitors like Kramrd end up getting others killed and in the end he'll get what he deserves......a firing squad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Before I received my Army Commission, the following three words were drilled into my being: [b]Duty, Honor, Country.[/b]

As an officer, if you have any doubt, go back to these three sacred words and you will know what to do.  

Perform your Duty, regardless of where it takes you, and do it in an Honorable manner.  Don't dishonor yourself by letting down your unit, your soldiers, and your Country.

You are an officer-- a leader of Soldiers.  Be one.

------------------
[i]"Sappers Clear the Way!"[/i]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#45]
But! But! those guys has guns i could get hurt!
but geeze those are real bullits! i could break
a nail.

why? i want out! > [argue]

Iam scared! real bullits! sir! > [argue]

Comon: have guts!!! > [stick]
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

We all got "situations", AH.

Anyone how a 40yr male can get in the service?
(and how to explain it to the wife and kids?)

[USA]
SSD
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#47]

He may be an officer in the Army, but he definitely ain't no Army Officer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#48]
You know, if I really believed that our government was in this until the opium was burned out of the country along with the Taliban, then desertion would be a crime, but we don't have any clear goals in that regard, because we, as capitalists understand that as their source of income no matter how evil. If we are only there to prop up a shaky election, then its harder to support the effort. I don't expect any high bred doctors will be serving on any fronts any time soon in this country. Do politicians sons serve? Do ANY rich sons serve? You've just been privileged to hear what rich little kids whine into the telephone to their influential daddies. Now you know how this country works. Politics. Its dirty stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#49]
ya know, when I was in the corp, not only did I fully understand that I was expected to go to combat should the need arise, I hoped to.  I can think of no better way to show my deep rooted love for my country than to pick up a rifle in the defense of it. I considered going back to active service recently (at less than half the pay I get now) but the wife had a coniption fit. This CO cop out is a crock. Dont the commercials still show fighter jets and carriers? They damn sure aint cruise liners and commercial flights.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#50]
[b][size=1]Quoted:
What I do have is a problem with people who sign on and take the government's bonuses and then when a crisis hits America they say "I dont wanna go". I'm not one of those people.[/size=1][/b]

??????
Give me an frigin break.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top