Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 11:27:43 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

Well it appears my friend we spoke about last week will not be allowed to return his mags (with green followers) marked "restricted military/gov't/law enforcement/export use only" back to the person he won them from online.

Base I.D. is....

.223 cal/5.56 mm
NHMTG s/42
Hartford, Ct

He just wants to do the right thing about these mags.

So here is my questions, He has about 25.00 each tied up in these 3 mags and would like to know what to do with them, should he or can he resell them to Mil/LE person or should he strip them for parts (springs, followers) & take the loss on the bodies?

Any help given would be super and I will print out the post for him when done.

Take care & thanks.

Steve.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Well to my understanding paper work has to follow LEO mags. So if this is true he is kinda in a tight spot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually I think he could just strip the mags down into components and not have to pitch the bodies.After all they sell replacement mag bodies that are postban manufacture and they are just considered parts.I might be wrong about this but if they are broken down into parts and not put together in the form of a functional magazine he MIGHT be alright.I would just strip them and toss them personally for the small amount of money he has in them rather than risk the wrath of the alphabet boys.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You said he "just wants to do the right thing?"

The "right" thing to do is keep them, and keep his mouth shut about them.

Don't brag to friends about them ("Look what I got Roy! Deze here are only for cops and soldiers!")

Don't take them to the range

Don't have them in the car

Keep them, and keep quiet.
Of course, if he is a complete mindwiped shackled sally bitch, he will go to his local law enforcement agency like a good little civillian and hand them over to the police [puke]

[img]http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/images/People/waxman.jpg[/img]
[size=4][b]WAXMAN SAYS "HAND THEM OVER!"[/size=4][/b]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
After all they sell replacement mag bodies that are postban manufacture and they are just considered parts.I might be wrong about this.
View Quote

Duh, they are marked "LE ONLY"
How can that be considered a "replacement" mag body...

Heh.

All that talk about being "inherently smart"...
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
OK first off you can't have them.......... don't feel bad about posting it though I had to destroy a gun when I posted it on here when I first started posting.so anyhow big brother is watching so I will tell you this much,you won them online,at gunbroker?there is a complante department. You can't sell leo mags to normal people, if the could I would have 25 beta mags and take my chances with the athorites.anyhow you or should I say your friend can do the right thing and report them you will lose 75 bucks but you will also make sure this guy don't fuck anyone else,Im sory if this sounds harsh but such is life
Gary
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Sell them to LE or an FFL
There is no paper trail on mags yet.
Or take off the three parts and chunk the bodies in a river.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell him to keep them. No one has ever gotten busted.
Tell him to join in the fight to get the assualt weapons ban turned over. Since he is learning first hand what its all about.  
Then when it does get turned over, he will have some neat collectors items for the exchange board.
Everyone should have a post-ban marked mag in their collection.  
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:43:47 AM EDT
[#8]
He needs to get rid of them. The problem with selling them to LE personnel is, he has $25 in them. The next problem is that they sell for $12.95 new on letterhead. So he is going to take a loss anyway you look at it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
After all they sell replacement mag bodies that are postban manufacture and they are just considered parts.I might be wrong about this.
View Quote

Duh, they are marked "LE ONLY"
How can that be considered a "replacement" mag body...

Heh.

All that talk about being "inherently smart"...
View Quote

A mag body is not restricted no matter when it was made or what's stamped on it.  Just like an AR lower marked LE Only... If it's a stripped lower anyone can own it.  If it's built up as a postban config rifle anyone can own it even if marked LE only.  You can mark an AR lower "I Luv Carrots Only M16" and anyone can own it...
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]
A phone call to a lawyer will cost more than $75.00 if he does get busted (not likely but could happen). Maybe return them certified mail to the seller with a demand for refund and a courtesy copy to ATF. On second thought maybe that really isn't a good idea either. Probably best to strip-em, crush-em, and chuck-em into the ocean. JMHO.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Vic, you are incorrect.  BATF doesn't care if those mag bodies have springs and followers in them or not- the mag tube is what is considered the 'restricted' magazine regardless of whether or not it is assembled.  You may be correct about having the LEO lower receiver, as long as you don't have any other parts to assemble it into a pre-ban configuration, but I sure wouldn't want to be my freedom on it when you can buy a regular post-ban receiver for cheap.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Vic, you are incorrect.  BATF doesn't care if those mag bodies have springs and followers in them or not- the mag tube is what is considered the 'restricted' magazine regardless of whether or not it is assembled.  You may be correct about having the LEO lower receiver, as long as you don't have any other parts to assemble it into a pre-ban configuration, but I sure wouldn't want to be my freedom on it when you can buy a regular post-ban receiver for cheap.
View Quote

wrong.  no single part of a mag is restricted no matter when it was produced.  the mag body is not considered a hicap ammunition device by itself.  that's why companies like special weapons are alowed to make and sell new hicap mag bodies, springs and followers as a "rebuild" kit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Its unbelievable how much bad information is given out by people that think they know what they're talking about... quite prevalent in the gun world.  Here's the ATF commentary on mag replacement parts.  Bodies are in no way restricted and never have been, no matter when they were produced.  URL supplied incase photo doesn't link properly.
[url]http://photos.onebigvillage.com/pubimage.asp?id_=58352[/url]

[img]http://photos.onebigvillage.com/pubimage.asp?id_=58352[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
It's true you can buy 'replacement' mag bodies for your already legally possessed pre-ban high-capacity magazines.  However, the magazine bodies in question are stamped as LEO mags, which means they can't be used as replacements.  Possession of these mag bodies and even one follower, spring and baseplate means Steve's buddy would be screwed, as he now has the means to assemble a post-'94 hicap mag that he has no legal right to possess.  So your right, vic, just possession of a stripped LEO mag body wouldn't get you a trip to the big house.  But you'd better not have any other mag parts, so what's the point of having them?

As far as possessing a stripped LEO receiver, same deal.  However, you can't make a post-ban rifle out of it if it was ever an assembled LEO rifle.  If it came from the factory with the LEO markings and was never assembled into an 'assault rifle', you can do what you want with it.  By why would you want to deal with the hassle?

So legally, he can strip the mags, throw away all the AR15 magazine innards he owns and keep the LEO mag bodies.  Maybe he can use them for paperweights.  He could sell the bodies to an FFL dealer, who could probably re-assemble them and sell them to an LEO.  Technically, he could sell the bodies to anyone as long as he didn't sell the other parts of the mag.  In reality, do you want to be the one the purchaser says he got the LEO mags from if he gets busted?

So Vic, you're only half right.  The mag body is not restricted in the sense that possession of it by itself isn't a felony, but if you have the LEO body and the parts to make a complete mag (and don't think ATF wouldn't stretch this to mean parts from legal pre-bans you already own, if they really wanted to), you're screwed.  Sounds like a restriction to me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a LEO...I can provide you with the proper ID and all that crap....I will give you or your friend or whoever... $10 a piece for them if you want to unload them.  Or..I will trade 2 approx. 60-70% pre-ban mags for them..let me know...email is above..thanks

medcop
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Think I'd take Medcop up on his offer...
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have heard that a drill and a drill bit will make some nice water drain holes wherever you need them.
Of course if you did that after posting what you have posted here you may have a visit from...well, you know.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#18]

garry, are you telling us that LEO's paid you a visit or something beacuse of a post on ar15 and you destroyed a rifle to avoid arrest?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

garry, are you telling us that LEO's paid you a visit or something beacuse of a post on ar15 and you destroyed a rifle to avoid arrest?
View Quote
lets just say I had the fear of god put into me,and leave it at that.
Gary
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I have never seen replacement mag bodies for sale for an AR but if they are available someone should be able to use them to replace mangled bodies with immunity. Of course that makes sense..

Ropes

PS who sells the bodies an email to them should clear this up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Put them in a safe place and donate $75 to GOA to help get the ban over-turned  :)
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#22]
i have never seen a  leo only mag but couldn't you just weld over the markings then grind it down flush then paint over it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#23]
On a thin aluminum mag body????
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Shovel. Land. Ammo can. Shut up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#26]
I second Wilson's suggestions.  Sell 'em to Medcop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
i have never seen a  leo only mag but couldn't you just weld over the markings then grind it down flush then paint over it?
View Quote

Wouldn't this be entrapment?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
On a thin aluminum mag body????
View Quote

if you have excess to an aluminum welder it works well .i weld aluminum pop cans all the time ,very easy ,but you need low waitage to not blow threw it!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top