Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 11:18:00 PM EDT
Heard a rumour that Colt in USA may be on the verge of going under. We hope this is not true. Has anyone heard anything?

ADI Lithgow may be making M4 bbls in the near future, and Australia is in need of M4s, and are now looking at maybe buying from Diemaco Inc in Canada instead of Colt.

We have also heard that Knight Armoury or Arsenal may buy Colt. Anyone hear of that.

Colt has been around for many many years, and we certainly hope that they will carry on in fine American tradition.

1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard they have been going out of business, but they haven't been selling guns in the commercial market in the U.S. for a number of years.  I believe that they just recently made available the the Python revolver, and the Gold Cup thru their custom shop, and they are also making an updated Single Action Army available.  That company has been on the brink of bankruptcy for number of years.  The only thing that seems to be keeping them alive has been only selling the M16 to the U.S. govt.  I believe the current owners of the company has relationships to the royal family in Saudia Arabia.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I had been told that Colt had just been recently been bought by FN.

Don't rightly remember who told me but is there any way of confirming this?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It'll never happen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
now that you say that I heard it also
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:15:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Never say never...  I hope never!  It would be a shame though as they are such an American institution.

Guz
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Last 2 revolvers (Colt 2" 38+P MK-VI) I bought direct from Colt through the NRA Instructor program made 2 trips back, 1 made 3rd trip and was replaced.
Both were consistent 4 shot shooters, [b]the problem was they were 6 shooters[/b]!!!

Even after they were fixed, by then I'd lost all trust in 'em and never carried them. My mom liked one and still has it, but I sold the other. Took almost 5 months to get them fixed (not including the 2 months to get them) and Colt was not very consumer friendly. The replacement had vise marks and scratches all over it and I was not happy, w/ them or the crap guns.

My 2cents,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#7]
[i]I heard from a friend, who heard from a co-worker, who heard from his half sister's mom's fiance, who heard it from a reliable source that The Brady Campaign (HCI) folks were going to buy Colt and covert it into a dildo factory.[/i]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Just carryn' on an old family tradition.

Colt, it seems, is always on the verge of bankruptcy. But even Sam Colt as good a designer as he was had no buiness acumen and nearly bankrupt the company. And it hasn't gotten any better in the last century and a half.

Hey, how about the board members getting together and buying Colt next time around. That would be one hell of a group purchase. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Colt went through one bankruptcy a few years ago and haven't exactly been stable since. They aren't even in their original facilities in Hartford anymore due to the settlement of the original bankruptcy auction (U.S. Patent Firearms, makers of an Italian SAA knockoff assemble their wares in the former Colt Hartford building). Anyone remember where Colt's "blue dome" was sold at auction to settle bankruptcy debts? Can't say I'd be surprised if they did go under, but with strong brand recognition I believe that someone else would take them over and clear out their management and put 'em back where they oughta be.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Colt's been going belly up since it's inception. The firearms industry in present days though seems more open to consolidation that will kill competitiveness. FN wants the M4 contract and so this would seem likely.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Colt going under? Can't be!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Colt is always on the verge of bankruptcy.they are also the original sellout to the Antis.Doesn't anyone remember when they stopped selling their ARs to civillians.then when they saw they were loosing their ass they decide its ok and monkey around with the parts.Lately they stopped making a bunch of guns.Just about everything except the AR higher grade 1911's[hehehehe],thats a joke the cowboy and some custom shop stuff[SA Python,ect].The main reason was the liability from the lawsuit HUD and cities were bringing.Also Kahr was suing them for patent infringment on the double action 380 and 9mm
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Colt has been in financial trouble throughout its history.  This is nothing new.  In the past, they were always reliant on gummint contracts to keep them in business.  Civilian sales alone were never enough.  

If they do go into the dildo business, as long as it has the prancing pony on it they will sell to the Colt fetishists on this and other boards.  I'm betting the ones in "tactical black" will be the biggest sellers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[i]I heard from a friend, who heard from a co-worker, who heard from his half sister's mom's fiance, who heard it from a reliable source that The Brady Campaign (HCI) folks were going to buy Colt and covert it into a dildo factory.[/i]
View Quote

Think of the benefits of this:

1. Various "barrel" lengths

2. Swappable "uppers"

3. Select-fire Dildos!!

4. Telling your lady friends "You got a pony in your pants"

5. They could still have a model called the Python

and on...and on...and on..

Sgtar15
[img]http://www.tartarus.net/images/smily/poof.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#17]
LET THEM GO UNDER!!! Glad to be rid of them. If they can't make it in the current market (of their own choosing) then move out of the way and make room for manufactuers that sell more than a name! I've never had a Colt anything that didn't need a LOT of work just to make it functional. You say "what about all those Gov't 1911's"? Well, you can thank John Browning and a host of anonomous Army amorers for the sucess of that program. The SAA? Sam Colt "borrowed" the revolving cylinder concept from several other non-patented designs. What did Colt do for the AR system except buy the rights to manufacture it and get wishy-washy about civilian sales. Don't think for a minute that the current foreign owned Colt wouldn't give $$$ to Schumer, Feinstein and Brady if they thought it was in their best interest. I will not miss Colt in the least!!! Done ranting, flame away.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I have had vrey good luck with my Colts, and have no complaints whatsoever. I hope they do better in the future.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#19]
The SAA? Sam Colt "borrowed" the revolving cylinder concept from several other non-patented designs.
View Quote

Sam Colt had little to do with the SAA. It was introduced in 1873 and he died in 1862.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Last 2 revolvers (Colt 2" 38+P MK-VI) I bought direct from Colt through the NRA Instructor program made 2 trips back, 1 made 3rd trip and was replaced.
Both were consistent 4 shot shooters, [b]the problem was they were 6 shooters[/b]!!!

Even after they were fixed, by then I'd lost all trust in 'em and never carried them. My mom liked one and still has it, but I sold the other. Took almost 5 months to get them fixed (not including the 2 months to get them) and Colt was not very consumer friendly. The replacement had vise marks and scratches all over it and I was not happy, w/ them or the crap guns.

My 2cents,
Mike
View Quote

I wouldn't be a bit surprised at the problems with repairing your guns.  The previous regime/mangament got rid of all the experienced commercial manufacturing people in order to save money.  The current Colt company is a shadow of its former self.

Check out their website at [url]http://www.colt.com/colt/[/url].  They have a blurb about 9/11 WTC attack, click anywhere on the page to get to their main page.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Colt has been on financial life support for years if not decades.  Have no one to blame but themselves.  Prior to WW II Colt owned the police market.  After the war S & W came in with new designs that had a lower manufacturing cost and quickly shoved Colt into the background.  Think of all the handgun developments of the last 20 or 30 years.  Stainless steel.  The wondernine revolution.  The "Dirty Harry" 44 magnum craze.  Polymer.  Where was Colt on all of this?  Either late, sometimes 20 years late, or non-existant.  What has Colt spent their R & D dollars on?  The smart gun.  Does anyone here actually think that will sell?

The company has been mis-managed for years.  What's truly amazing is they have lasted this long.  My guess is M-16 contracts are the only thing that's kept the doors open this long. And they lost that to FN.

Colt has made some nice stuff over the years, but could never compete on price.  What's retail on a Python these days, eight or nine hundred bucks?  That's crazy.  Has anyone priced their 1911's lately?  Has anybody even seen one?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

ROFL
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The SAA? Sam Colt "borrowed" the revolving cylinder concept from several other non-patented designs.
View Quote

Sam Colt had little to do with the SAA. It was introduced in 1873 and he died in 1862.
View Quote

If you'll notice, I was referring to the revolving cylinder which pre-dates the Civil War.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#24]
If you'll notice, I was referring to the revolving cylinder which pre-dates the Civil War.
View Quote

If [i]you'll[/i] notice, you made a direct reference to the Single Action Army, also known as the Model 1873. Introduced after Sam Colt's death. Remington and S&W also rode to fame on revolving cylinder handguns. Poor example.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I think we can all agree that Colt has been poorly managed & led since the end of WW2. There's no doubt that since they dropped all the 380acp semi models as well as the revolvers, we gun owners thought "piss on 'em" if they won't stay the course!

What I find to be ironic is that the State of Conn. is a partial owner of Colt, yet it's against the law to sell an AR (or maybe even own one) in the same GD state!!!! Maybe I find that to be more stupid than ironic?

How long did it take them to build a 44mag? 30 years or so?

Now that everyone is getting a CCW, what does Colt have to offer? Full size guns, no Mustangs, Pony's, etc.

I bought my AR from Colt rather than Bushmaster simply because I wanted to support Colt. If I were to do it today, I doubt I'd repeat that decision.

IMO, I have no problem with FN owning Colt as we all know, FN hired John Moses Browning. That's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

If [i]you'll[/i] notice, you made a direct reference to the Single Action Army, also known as the Model 1873. Introduced after Sam Colt's death. Remington and S&W also rode to fame on revolving cylinder handguns. Poor example.
View Quote

No, very good example. No revolving cylinder then no SAA. No SAA then the name Colt would have been forgotten long ago.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't think for a minute that the current foreign owned Colt wouldn't give $$$ to Schumer, Feinstein and Brady if they thought it was in their best interest.
View Quote

They did just that, the current owners gave $10,000 to Schumer's campaign a while back.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#28]
No, very good example. No revolving cylinder then no SAA. No SAA then the name Colt would have been forgotten long ago.
View Quote

No, poor example. You mentioned the SAA with an inference that Sam Colt invented it. He did not. So then you crawfish and say, "Well, then I mean the revolving cylinder." No revolving cylinder, then no Remington as we know them today, no S&W, and many others. Poor example. Next piece of circular logic as in 2 + 2 = 10, please.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually, a few years ago, Colt was trying to buy FN.

Sam Colt was an absolute genius business man, a great inventor, and perhaps the man mostly responsible for America's industrial revolution. He was the Henry Ford and Bill Gates of his age.  You don't become one of the then 5 richest men in America by being a lousy business person.

As an inventor, he has few peers.  There were other, earlier attempts at revolving firearms, but Colt's actually worked.  Every revolver since is just a variation on his original idea.

In light of what has befell his company, I believe a manometer hooked up to his grave would clock him at about 3500 RPM.

I was always a Colt Man, and in some ways, I always will be.  When I look at what's left today, I could cry.

Colt's P.T.F.A today is a living testimonial to what happens when corporate bean counters get control.

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

No Colt isn't part of FN, FN now has the US government contract on M-16'd, leaving Colt out in the cold.  Colt will shortly be belly up or will be a division of another gun company like Bushmaster or Beretta.

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I've owned several Colts over the years. i still have my pre-ban AR-15 match HBAR. i dont really have anything against Colt because i dont really care.

Colt is only a name. Sam Colt had a good design in his time, but after him; what do they really have? the 1911 was designed by John Browining, the AR-15 was designed by Eugene stoner. the Python is overated in my opinion. and no i dont care about silver/gold engraved mess.

If Colt dissappears, then why should we really care? just because they are "Colt"? Sam colt is dead and so is his legacy. The Ruger Vaquero has better reviews than colt's SAA revolvers. Colt is only for Collectors. There is a plethora of AR-15 manufacturer's and just as many manufacturer's of 1911's, and SAA revolvers.

colt owning lib
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I doubt if they are going under.

Colt has the M4 contract until something like 2010 and the US military is replacing M16-A2's with M4's.

Bushmaster buy/manage an enterprise like Colt. Give me a break.

Purple Colts with over-torqued barrels!!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 7:28:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Heard a rumour that Colt in USA may be on the verge of going under. We hope this is not true. Has anyone heard anything?

ADI Lithgow may be making M4 bbls in the near future, and Australia is in need of M4s, and are now looking at maybe buying from Diemaco Inc in Canada instead of Colt.

We have also heard that Knight Armoury or Arsenal may buy Colt. Anyone hear of that.

Colt has been around for many many years, and we certainly hope that they will carry on in fine American tradition.

1feral1
Sydney
View Quote

I hear this rumor quite often. Whenever I go into a Kimber Master Dealer...

Tachyon
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#34]
God Made Man...
Colt Created the Cowboy Pistol
Business Boomed
Inventory Increased
Time Elapsed
Laws Passed
Selling-Out Occured
Equipment Was Modified
Customer Support Was Diminished
Bushmaster Became Popular
...and Colt Had an Equal
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#35]
It wouldn't surprise me if Colt declared bankruptcy soon. 3 years ago at Shot Show they were one of the companies that had HUGE displays. The year after Colt announced major cutbacks in their production lines and they were like the S&W exhibit, lots of floor space with not much to show.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I won't shed a single tear if they go under.  Colt made it clear they didn't want our business and it has cost them.  Their current pistols are crap, and their only saving grace is the M4 contract.  I don't think it will be long before FN makes a move for them in order to get their IP rights.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#37]
My colt ar15 is great I haven't had any real problems with it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Well, Colt will not go under for some time.  I have heard rumors from reputable people that the Marine Corp is now looking at outfitting everyone with the M4.  Most replacement stock when ordered from other branches of the military is coming from the marine's stockpile.  This would give creedence that the marines are getting rid of a lot of current parts in anticipation of a new firearm.  Yes, the M4 is Colts saving grace right now, but they have so many M4's on order they are not able to keep up with civilian sales.  Just because we do not see any new pistols coming out does not mean Colt is going under, It means that they are so damn busy running machines to pump out the M4 they do not have time to R&D new civilian firearms. Colt has always traditionally manufactured firearms for the military.  It just so happened that in the past a civilian could own it also.  Laws have changed this, not Colt.  Politicians have sold out the american people not Colt.  When I hear this BS it makes me mad.  If more people would get of their ass and vote you would still be able to go  buy a brand new M16A3 if you wanted, or a truly Milspec rifle.  The government has forced Colt into doing a lot of the things it has done, and the government is a reflection of the people.  

Chris Williams
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top