Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 8:42:02 PM EDT
Am I allowed to swap a cobray m11 into a rifle and back into a pistol ? I thought that
once a pistol becomes a rifle that it can not go back into a pistol config.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Pistol CAN become rifle, rifle CAN NOT become pistol.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't tell if you do it though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
And if that is true, then how about the Mech Tech 1911 carbine conversion units?

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And if that is true, then how about the Mech Tech 1911 carbine conversion units?

View Quote

Aer yuo dsylxeic?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Aer yuo dsylxeic?
View Quote
LOL good one!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The key thing is that how the receiver is logged by AFT.  If the receiver is made and registared as a pistol, then it can be convert to a rifle.  Now, here is the hard part. If the receiver is registared as a rifle, converting it into a pistol.  The AFT will say to made a SBR and you paid any taxes on it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The key thing is that how the receiver is logged by AFT.  If the receiver is made and registared as a pistol, then it can be convert to a rifle.  Now, here is the hard part. If the receiver is registared as a rifle, converting it into a pistol.  The AFT will say to made a SBR and you DID NOT paid any taxes on it.  Look for U.S. vs Thompson Center for the legal background on this matter.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aer yuo dsylxeic?
View Quote

No. not dyslexic, just confused.

You're saying that you can convert a pistol into a rifle and then back into a pistol at will, correct?

TAPCO says you can't, hence my confusion.

Please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Tapco is wrong.
You cited your own example.
The Mech-Tech carbine units.

You are allowed to take a pistol (a more tightly controled weapon due to it's concealability) and convert it into a long-gun (a weapon the government considers "less dangerous")

But you aren't allowed to take a Long Gun (Less dangerous) and convert it into the "more dangerous" pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top