Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2001 2:13:10 PM EDT
Some of you all might know I have become a memeber of the First Monday group.  Before you line up and bayonet me [;)], here me out.  
I wanted to get info from them, and provide my AR/assualtweb brothers intel.
After doing this, I feel dirty, and need a shower.
Here is my first Intel.
c-rock

Dear First Monday: Gun Industry Watch Participant:

In the wake of the September 11th attacks, gun sales have been increasing at
an alarming rate all over the United States.  While the gun lobby promotes
the misperception that owning a gun assures self-protection, it is important
that we debunk the myth that a gun in the home makes that home safer. We
need to take this opportunity to spread the truth about the health risks of
having a gun in the home.  Our message needs to reach the widest possible
audience, and we have found that letters to the editors of local campus and
city newspapers are very effective tools in raising public awareness.  We
have prepared a letter that you can send to the editor of your school
newspaper, as well as editors of other newspapers in your community. All you
have to do is sign your name and send it in. (If you get it published,
please send us a copy of the newspaper. We are also including an informative
fact sheet about the risks of having a gun in the home.

Thanks so much for your involvement in First Monday's Gun Industry Watch.
If you are interested in doing more to educate your campus, hospital and
community about the risk of guns in the home, please contact Rebecca Bruno
at (202) 667-4260 x216 or [email protected] or Alexis Wilson at (202) 667-4260
x238 or [email protected]  and we will send information about other actions
you can take.

Also, please remember to send back the red cards from your October 1 events
to Rebecca or Alexis.  Our address is:

Physicians for Social Responsibility
1875 Connecticut Ave., NW  Suite 1012
Washington, DC  20009

Thanks,

Rebecca Bruno
Associate Director of Policy & Education
Violence Prevention Program
Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR)
1875 Connecticut Ave, NW
Suite 1012
Washington DC  20009
Phone: 202-667-4260 ext 216
fax:  202-667-4201
www.psr.org

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Remember,
if you startup with them, DONT BLOW MY COVER!!!
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#2]
First Document sent to me.

SELF-PROTECTION OR FAMILY KILLER?

WHAT EVERY FAMILY SHOULD KNOW BEFORE  BRINGING A GUN INTO THE HOME

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System, an FBI division that conducts instant checks for firearms sales, reports that the checks for long guns, handguns and other transactions increased 21% in the month after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, compared with the same period last year.
In 1999, there were 28,874 gun related deaths in the United States. CDC, 2000

Unintentional Firearm Deaths

A gun in the home is 4 times more likely to be involved in an unintentional  shooting, 7 times more likely to be used in a criminal assult or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be used to commit or attempt a suicide than to be used in self defense. Kellerman, Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home, 1998

In 72% of unintentional firearm deaths and injuries, suicide, and suicide attempts of 0-19 year-olds, the firearm was stored in the residence of the victim, a relative, or a friend.  Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center Study, as published in the Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine, August 1999.

Nearly all childhood unintentional shooting deaths occur in or around the home. National Safe Kids Campaign, 1998

Domestic Violence

The Journal of American Medical Association reported that domestic violence assaults involving guns are 12 times more likely to result in death than are those without guns.

For homicides in which the victim to offender relationship could be identified, 92% of female victims were murdered by someone they knew. Of the victims who knew their offenders, 60% were wives, common-law wives, ex-wives, or girlfriends of the offenders. Among the 917 female intimates murdered, 60% were killed with guns; 74% of these were shot and killed with handguns. When Men Murder Women: An Analysis of 1999 Homicide Data, Violence Policy Center, 2001.

For homicides in which the weapon used could be identified, 53% of female homicide victims were shot and killed with guns. Of these, 76% were killed with handguns. When Men Murder Women: An Analysis of 1999 Homicide Data, Violence Policy Center, 2001

Domestic violence homicides are 7.8 times more likely to occur in homes  with guns than homes without guns. Kellerman, Arthur L., et. al. “Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor For Homicide in the Home.” The New England Journal of Medicine.  Volume 329, No. 15. October 7, 1993.

Suicide

In 1999, there were 16,599 firearm suicides in the United States. CDC, 2001

On average, 57% of all suicides are committed with firearms. CDC, 2001

The total suicide rate is lower in states with stricter gun control laws, which indicates that only a limited number of suicidal people switch to an alternative method for suicide. American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

Firearms are now the most frequent method of suicide for men and women of all ages, including boys and girls aged 10 to 14 years. American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

First Monday 2001 is a project of Physicians for Social Responsibility and Alliance for Justice                  1875 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 1012, Washington DC 20009. Phone: 202-667-4260.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
A letter they want you to send.
Why the fuck do they want you to remove the quote source?
Maybe cause its WRONG!
Dear student:

Please note, before submitting this letter-to-the-editor to your school newspaper and local newspaper, please remove the Kellermann citation.  Our only purpose in including it is to inform you of the statistic’s source.

To the Editor:

Over the past few weeks, newspapers throughout the country have been reporting on the surge in gun sales in response to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.  Many of the articles showcase individuals that have never before owned or handled a gun, but who have decided since September 11 to purchase a firearm to protect themselves from further acts of terror.  Unfortunately, most of the articles are not reporting that buying a gun for protection actually presents an even greater threat to a family.

The reality is that a gun is much more likely to be used in a crime than to prevent a crime. In fact, a gun in the home is four times more likely to be involved in an unintentional shooting, seven times more likely to be used in a criminal assult or homicide, and eleven times more likely to be used to commit or attempt a suicide than to be used in self defense (Kellermann, Injuries and Deaths Due to Firearms in the Home, Journal of Trauma, Injury, Infrction, and Critical Care,1998). The only result of increased gun sales will be to exacerbate the public health epidemic of gun injury in America.

As a medical/public health/nursing student, I believe that it is the duty of the news media to present readers with all the facts. With that in mind, perhaps more reporting on the real and serious health threat guns pose to our society is warranted.

Sincerely,

Name
School
Address
Phone
Email

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
"Stupid is as Stupid does" Forest Gump
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
How to go c-rock!....so your with the ar15 SpecOpsRecon Team.I applaud your motives....achieved at any price no doubt.[;)]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A gun in the home is 4 times more likely to be involved in an unintentional  shooting,

View Quote

4 times more likely than what?

The Journal of American Medical Association reported that domestic violence assaults involving guns are 12 times more likely to result in death than are those without guns.

Domestic violence homicides are 7.8 times more likely to occur in homes  with guns than homes without guns.

View Quote

Ok, please tell me, which one is it... 12 times? or 7.8 times?

In 72% of unintentional firearm deaths and injuries, suicide, and suicide attempts of 0-19 year-olds, the firearm was stored in the residence of the victim, a relative, or a friend.
View Quote

um, as opposed to stored where?  Where else would someone store a firearm that is lawfully owned?

Nearly all childhood unintentional shooting deaths occur in or around the home. National Safe Kids Campaign, 1998
View Quote

Of course they do... how many mothers would wade into a bank heist carrying the toddler... it's the idiots that hang a loaded firearm from johnny's crib rail that cause these stupid things....

For homicides in which the victim to offender relationship could be identified, 92% of female victims were murdered by someone they knew.
View Quote

Usually while they were in their waiting period to obtain their own firearm for protection.

Geez, I can't beleive these people... Thanks for the info.  I don't know how to convince someone of the error of their ways when they've managed to delude themselves this much...

As I said, good info, keep it coming.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]
...and 11 times more likely to be used to commit or attempt a suicide than to be used in self defense. Kellerman,...
View Quote

My first thought is I can't believe they're even using Kellerman's name since he's been debunked so many ways including him debunking himself.  He told Health magazine that if it was his own family, he'd want his wife to have a .38.

Then I read your next post...

Please note, before submitting this letter-to-the-editor to your school newspaper and local newspaper, please remove the Kellermann citation.
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  

They know they giving false information!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
It was 43 times as likely when Sh*thead's, I mean Kellermans, book first came out. After a myriad of very liberal fact finding institutions questioned his "data gathering techniques", the subsequent editions of his book now claim only 4x. If you read John Lott's opinion on Kellermans book, the "4x more likely" moves way over onto the other side of the spectrum.

Kellerman includes faulty gun data like suicides and cops shooting criminals in part of his "more likely to get shot" equations. Of course you are more likely to have your gun used against you.... if you use the gun on yourself.   Duhhh!   And he only included hospital ER data, he threw out any incident that a gun was used in self defense where no shot was fired or gunshot inflicted. With these kinds of math skills, I am surprised that Kellerman even graduated grade school.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]

In 72% of unintentional firearm deaths and injuries, suicide, and suicide attempts of 0-19 year-olds, the firearm was stored in the residence of the victim, a relative, or a friend.  
View Quote

0-19 is a HUGE number of people. And in order to be included in the 72% the gun has to be in the RESIDENCE, owned by a RELATIVE or a FRIEND. Well no wonder why the number seems high. They just included every gun in the freaking neighborhood. And what is the definition of a friend? Any neighbor? Anybody that goes to school with little Johnny?

What bullshit. Numbers can be manipulated. I do it all the time with my budget.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder, do you think the die-hard anti leaders know that they are spewing lies?

My guess is that they do.

I  think that we should all infiltrate at least one group.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I get several FREE anti newsletters.Less money for them to spend on the fence sitters.Call and get yours today.One even gave me stamped envolopes.i used them to write my congressman.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#12]
So, c-rock, what symptoms should we watch for that would be signs you've "gone over to the dark side" in your role and need us to come and extract you???? [;D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, c-rock, what symptoms should we watch for that would be signs you've "gone over to the dark side" in your role and need us to come and extract you???? [;D]
View Quote

Poppa Bear, this is Baby Bear, over.  
Baby Bear is needing a exit, stat!  

It is interesting what these people do to get this stuff rammed thru people's throats.  
Everyone should now see what we are up too.
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:02:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish the pro-gun lobby was this vocal. I write my congressman, but it's like I'm the only one. The only thing I get mass mailed with is the "Renew your NRA membership NOW!" letters.

Perhaps we should be trying to ram our agenda down the population’s thoughts. Works for the anti's.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Some comments from theh peanut gallery....

Originally Posted By c-rock, quoting the First Monday group:

Dear First Monday: Gun Industry Watch Participant:

In the wake of the September 11th attacks, gun sales have been increasing at
an alarming rate all over the United States.
View Quote

Alarming, eh?? Yup, criminals SHOULD be afraid. Now, why are YOU guys afraid???? Hmmmm.

While the gun lobby promotes
the misperception that owning a gun assures self-protection, it is important
that we debunk the myth that a gun in the home makes that home safer.
View Quote

Well, I can't disagree there. Even WITH a gun in the home, you MAY stub your toe on the coffee table. Also, guns provide NO protection fron the most dangerous area in your home - the bathroom. Bathroom slip and falls are the NUMBER ONE cause of domestic injuries.

We need to take this opportunity to spread the truth about the health risks of
having a gun in the home.  
View Quote

Again, can't disagree. MOST people are unaware that if you are going to be doing any significant amount of target practice INSIDE your home, you need to provide for adequate ventilation, to remove airborne lead and powder particles from your homes invironemnt. Safety first, people.

Our message needs to reach the widest possible
audience,
View Quote

Well, Rosie is pretty wide, but I think she already got the message.

we have found that letters to the editors of local campus and
city newspapers are very effective tools in raising public awareness.  We
have prepared a letter that you can send to the editor of your school
newspaper, as well as editors of other newspapers in your community. All you
have to do is sign your name and send it in.
View Quote

Translation: Dear Fist Monday members, do NOT concern yourself with thinking. Let us do that for you. Please just sign you name twice - once to the article we will provide you, and the other on a blank check you send to us.

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A gun in the home is 4 times more likely to be involved in an unintentional  shooting,

View Quote

4 times more likely than what?

Than outside the front door in the planter. That's where I keep my guns. It's safer than in the house, by 4 times.  Also, I figure crooks won't look in the planter. [;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top