Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/18/2001 10:49:49 AM EDT
Just got this e-mail from a fellow member.  I'll let him say who he is if he chooses.  I thought it was awesome given the threads we've had about grammar pet-peeves such as "their" instead of "there", "to" instead of "too", etc.  This one is definitely the winner, and I wish he posted it (although the reason he didn't was very considerate). [blue]<----- [i]Should that period be inside or out?[/i][/blue]

So, to the author, no flame taken at all!!  Thanks for the correction, and my signature has been changed.  For the record though, I'm not really that picky...those two words just irritate me.

This has to be the best grammatical smackdown of all time!![:D]

I am not trying to flame you, so I am sending this via e-mail.

"IRREGARDLESS" is NOT a word. And neither is "ANYWAYS"

If you want to be picky about grammar, you might want to change your
signature.

"And neither is ANYWAYS". is a fragment.

Additionally, when ending a sentence with a quote, the punctuation is
inside the closing quotation mark.

A suggestion of how it might look....

"Neither IRREGARDLESS nor ANYWAYS is a word in the English language."

However, the word "anyways" is defined as "In any case."

See the following link:

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=anyways

The word "irregardless" also has a formal definiton.

See the follwoing link:

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=irregardless

Just FYI.

XXXXXXXX

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]
i hope they reply soon! because their grammar is incorrect.

the e-mail stated:
[blue]Additionally, when ending a sentence with a quote, the punctuation is inside the closing quotation mark.[/blue]

example: The policeman said, "Can i just come in and have a look around?".

note that the end of sentence punctuation belongs outside the quote, seperate from the puctuation dealing with the quote itself.

no flame, but if you're gonna correct someone, do it correctly. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I was enjoying the smackdown until the smacker used the word "follwoing." I'm not familiar with that word. [:D]

Actually, irregardless COULD be a word. Its just that most people who use it mean the opposite of what they are actually saying.

They use "irregardless" to mean "without regard."

Actually, "regardless" means "without regard."

The prefix "ir" means "not" - as in "irregular" or "irresponsible." NOT regular, NOT responsible.

Therefore, "irregardless" means "NOT without regard."

Of course, wouldn't it then be easier to say "WITH regard" than "not without regard????"

Sorry - I was an English minor in college, and I get off on this stuff.

P.S. - the beauty of a grammar and syntax pissing match is that you will always provide the other side ammunition with which to rip you a new eye hole.[:D]

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
For Christs sake, is this a damn english/grammer class or a discussion board?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
The word "irregardless" also has a formal definiton.

See the follwoing link:

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=irregardless
View Quote

From the link:
Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.
View Quote

The presence of a word in the dictionary doesn't imply that you won't look like a doofus when you use it.  [;)]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude -

This is one of those "If ya don't like it, don't join in" threads.

Seems to me a "discussion" board is the perfect place to discuss HOW to properly "discuss."

Unless the whole discussion disgusts you.  [:D]

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a damn[red]ed[/red] English/gramm[red]a[/red]r class, within a discussion board!  [:P]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

This is a damn[red]ed[/red] English/gramm[red]a[/red]r class, within a discussion board!  [:P]
View Quote

How about that, got my own damn[red]ed[/red] gramm[red]a[/red]r smackdown within  a gramm[red]a[/red]r smackdown thread. [:E]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread is know place for the likes of me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

How about that, got my own damn[red]ed[/red] gramm[red]a[/red]r smackdown within  a gramm[red]a[/red]r smackdown thread. [:E]
View Quote

Nice edit, speedy! BTW, "...got a gramm[red]a[/red]r..." I believe you are still missing the proper modifier: "I" before the word "got"!  If you really wanted to have correct usage, you would type: "...I have got[red]ten[/red]..." or "...I have recieved...".

[;)]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This thread is know place for the likes of me.
View Quote

Wouldn't that be "no place?" [BD]

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about that, got my own grammar smackdown within  a grammer smackdown thread. [:E]
View Quote

There's plenty of grammar smackdown to go around.

If you want one, just raise you're hand and say "me to!".  Everyone should get there turn.  You no what I mean?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Nice edit, speedy! BTW, "...got a gramm[red]a[/red]r..." I believe you are still missing the proper modifier: "I" before the word "got"!  If you really wanted to have correct usage, you would type: "...I have got[red]ten[/red]..." or "...I have recieved...".

[;)]
View Quote

Damn, you guys are [size=4][red]TOUGH![/red][/size=4]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know, They are killing me right now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#14]
[:D] Just celebrating irritation, one correction at a time! [:D]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

[;)]
View Quote

I before E except after C, therefore it would be "... I have received ..."
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know, They are killing me right now.
View Quote

Yeah, you are getting killed.  By the way, there is no need to capitalize in the middle of a sentence.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I before E except after C, therefore it would be "... I have received ...".
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Like I says -

the beauty of a grammar and syntax pissing match is that you will always provide the other side ammunition with which to rip you a new eye hole. [:D]

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Some of ya all just dont got a life ANY OLD HOW SO WHI DONT WEZ GET US BAck to the GUN stuff now sorry we not as smart as others!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Right you are, thank you for the much needed "smackdown" [BD]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Like I says -

the beauty of a grammar and syntax pissing match is that you will always provide the other side ammunition with which to rip you a new eye hole. [:D]

View Quote

I ain't sayin' another word.  And yeah my gramm[red]a[/red]r sucks. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#22]
[:D]  It's been fun, but I need to go out and find a life now. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

[;)]
View Quote

View Quote

I before E except after C, therefore[red],[/red] it would be "... I have received ..."
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#24]
[BD]This is the most testosterone void pissing match I've ever seen![BD]

By the way, the person who really started it has not shown up yet!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
[BD]This is the most testosterone void pissing match I've ever seen![BD]

!!
View Quote

Kinda reminds you of two Brits arguing vehemently over the merits of Earl Grey tea vs. Schweppes ginger ale, don't it.
 [BD]

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#26]
[size=6]GRAMMER NATZIES![moon][/size=6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This place very badly needs a Grammar Nazi, not to mention a Punctuation Patrol and a Spelling Stasi.
View Quote

I nominate myself for all three.

How much does the job pay????

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I always try to make needed corrections before I submit a post, but they never seem to take.

Plus my monitor is just covered with Whiteout.  Am I doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

By the way, the person who real started it has not shown up yet!!
View Quote

Whoever it was that started this probably has enough sense to keep their mouth shut.  

TheRedGoat

[peep]

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey Wait a minute RAF and you too(two O's)Gman!I thought you guys were on MY campaign for grammer Nazi. TRAITORS!

A mind is a terrible thing!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I think schnacke put it best (in reference to "irregardless"):

It's a 'word', but people who use it are idiots.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Once upon a time, in an earlier pissing match over who had sustained the worst injuries, some poor guy claimed to have spent three days in a comma (meant to say coma).  The nearly instant reply was something like, "Three days in a comma?  Try spending a week in parenthesis!"

The next guy regaled us with Imbroglio's time (three weeks, IIRC) in a colon.

[b]That[/b] one had me holding my sides.  Great fun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Once upon a time, in an earlier pissing match over who had sustained the worst injuries, some poor guy claimed to have spent three days in a comma (meant to say coma).  The nearly instant reply was something like, "Three days in a comma?  Try spending a week in parenthesis!"

The next guy regaled us with Imbroglio's time (three weeks, IIRC) in a colon.

[b]That[/b] one had me holding my sides.  Great fun.
View Quote

YUP - that was an all-time classic.

[:D]

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#42]
OK GRAMMER NATZIES why is:
IMpervious...NOT pervious.
IMpenetrable...NOT penetratable.
IMmersable...DON'T/CAN'T immerse.
INaudible....NOT audible.
INeffecient..NOT efficent.
INeffective...NOT effective.
INedible...NOT edible.

BUT... [b]IN[/b]flammable means totaly and completely (with danger) flammable??!!?!?!

And disinformation is NOT a word.  It was invented back during the Oly North trials...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Getting hit by the grammar shtick hurts
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#44]
    You know I made a little grammar jab the other night too but this site is the best I dont care. I asked for info and got it quickly checked the provided link to brownells with success do you ever think that our wives and probably everybody that knows us thinks we are just a little Anne L. Retentive anyway about our interests?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I before E, except after "C", or when sounding like "A", as in neighbor or weigh.

[:D]

HTH
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey Wait a minute RAF and you too(two O's)Gman!I thought you guys were on MY campaign for grammer Nazi. TRAITORS!

A mind is a terrible thing!
View Quote

Traitor???
When I singlehandedly resurrected your moribund campaign?  And that's the thanks I get???
View Quote

Youre right Bubba! I probably would "loose" the election anyway!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes!!  I've found my home!  Ah, the memories slowly trickle into my mind.  As sad as it seems, I love a good grammar debate.  

Quoted:
OK GRAMMER NATZIES why is:
IMpervious...NOT pervious.
IMpenetrable...NOT penetratable.
IMmersable...DON'T/CAN'T immerse.
INaudible....NOT audible.
INeffecient..NOT efficent.
INeffective...NOT effective.
INedible...NOT edible.

BUT... [b]IN[/b]flammable means totaly and completely (with danger) flammable??!!?!?!

And disinformation is NOT a word.  It was invented back during the Oly North trials...

BISHOP
View Quote

The prefix im- (whose variants include both ir- and in-) means not.  In the case of "irregardless,"  one finds a double negative.  You just have to think about it.  Regardless means without regard, and when you tack ir- onto the front you are contradicting yourself.  
However, if you delved into the mystery further, one would find that ir- as well as im- and in- could also mean into or within.  So, to make a long story short, the reason inedible means "not edible"  and impervious means "not pervious" is context.  You have to determine what the writer or speaker intends.  This is why many foreigners have difficulty learning English; we have a lot of words and phrases that could mean several different things.  Many words such as disinformation and irregardless become words by misfortune and thus find entrance into the English dictionary as slang terms.            [argue]
Yes, I do have a life, but you also have to understand...This is the subject in which I majored.
[soapbox]   Ahhhhhh, that sure felt good.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Gimme a brake... [:E]

I need to take a brake...

What kinda muzzle break should I get...?

Thier oughtta be a law.

teh.

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

By the way, the person who real started it has not shown up yet!!
View Quote

"[T]he person who [i]really[/i] started it" is what I think you meant to write.  Given the context, however, the proper adverb would be "actually", or none at all.

The "coma/comma" story reminded me of a similar mishap, although it was speech-related, in a marital rape case I tried several years ago.  The prosecutor was questioning the "victim" who was allegedly raped, anally, by her husband (don't ask).  He laid down a foundation by asking general questions about their sex life.  He finally asked her whether or not they had "anal" sex and she replied, in an annoyed tone, "uh . . . no, um, we had sex much more often than once per year!"- as if to say he was a dumbass for asking such a question.  Everyone else understood it was "anal", not "annual".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top