BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Wrong.  When parts of a subject are separated by "or" or "nor", the verb must agree with the "nearest part".  Meaning, if the noun nearest to the verb is singular, then the  verb is singular (regardless of the use of the two pronouns).  [red]Ergo, since "anyways" is singular[/red] (one of two words- each singular- making up the subject), the use of the verb "is" is correct.

I believe my source would be one of many rules found in Little, Brown, if I recall correctly (and I do).

Mensa schminza.
View Quote

LMFAO!

The entire premise of your argument lies in the fact that "anyways" is singular!?!?!?!

As in, the addition of the "s" is a regional colloquialism, as opposed to a device altering
the perceptive characteristic of the word itself..

CITE ME A SOURCE ON THIS!

Lawyer schmoyer [rolleyes]

(See how that works? "Lawyer Schmoyer"- For future refrence, it would be "Mensa Schmensa"-becasue it rhymes, thus giving your lame attempt at sarcasm a bit more bite.

Men-Sah Sch-Men-Za really doesn't have the same appeal. Unless of course Schmenza is some yddish term I am not aware of)
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Why does this board have such a severe propensity for turning perfectly logical, meaningful threads into completely unrelated, meaningless arguments? [:D]
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lawyer schmoyer [rolleyes]

(See how that works? "Lawyer Schmoyer"- For future refrence, it would be "Mensa Schmensa"-becasue it rhymes, thus giving your lame attempt at sarcasm a bit more bite.

Men-Sah Sch-Men-Za really doesn't have the same appeal. Unless of course Schmenza is some yddish term I am not aware of)
View Quote

LOL!  That's funny (and you are right).  

Now, back to me.

"Anyways" is a word, [i]a[/i] word (regardless of whether it's "proper").  You are not getting out of this one by trying to argue the noun is plural in the context used (if I'm right, and I am, that was your only out).  It's not.

Source- someone out there, get the Little, Brown handbook and help me out.  I'll call my best friend in Hawaii (masters in English) if I have to, however, I am right.

Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Call him.

I'll speak to Dr. Davis tommorow.
Right or wrong, I am interested to find out the truth (I still think I am right)
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The last time I got my hand gun permit the computer lit up like a chrismas tree.I have a F.B.I. file no. for some reason .The sheriff said it was nothing an not to worry.I would say they already know me.  P.S. I own class 3s.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Little, Brown, Rule 23d.  

BTW, your attempt at sarcasm lacks some dental fortitude as well.  "Yiddish" is always captitalized and spelled with an "i" after the "Y", not "yddish".  Still, you were sorta right about my "lame attempt" and it was rather funny.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Little, Brown, Rule 23d.  

BTW, your attempt at sarcasm lacks some dental fortitude as well.  "Yiddish" is always captitalized and spelled with an "i" after the "Y", not "yddish".
View Quote

The "I" was a typo, the lack of capitalization was due to my disrespect for the jewish people.

I never capitalize "negro" either.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you guys know that the word "gullible" isn't even in the dictionary?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Little, Brown, Rule 23d.  

BTW, your attempt at sarcasm lacks some dental fortitude as well.  "Yiddish" is always captitalized and spelled with an "i" after the "Y", not "yddish".
View Quote

The "I" was a typo, the lack of capitalization was due to my disrespect for the jewish people.

I never capitalize "negro" either.
View Quote

Oh . . . OK, that explains it then [rolleyes].
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:21:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't own any AR 15's, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
GPSS
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm gonna have to change my damn signature file.  Even after the second edit, people still find problems with it.

"Anyways" just annoys me.  To me, it is a colloquialism akin to an ebonics-type term.

"Irregardless"...so maybe it is a word, but I have never heard it used properly.  Even if one did use it properly, it would sound stupid.  I don't like no double-negative type stuff.  Anyways...
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]
When something just doesn't sound right to the well-educated ear, simply do what [i]Harbrace[/i] recommends and rewrite the sentence!

Neither you nor I [red]is[/red] going to agree on this subject!

Sounds like 'Neither you nor I is going to town.' Pretty awkward sounding, [i]N'est Pas
?[/i]

Eric The(AmI[s]Right[/s]Correct?)Hun
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I like this place; Patriots having a discussion about the english language.  What a great place this is. And yes it makes perfect sense.

Benjamin

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got select fire M-16s, M14s, BARs, FALs, ABCs, guns, hats, knifes, peashootes, super soakers and any other damn thing you can think of.

I've got Ma Dueces, LAWS, Red Eyes, Stingers, back pack nukes, rotten eggs and tomatoes, and big rocks.

I got an F15 Eagle, an A-10 Warthog, an F18 Hornet, a Honda 400 XR and a Huffy 18 speed.

There all in basement right now.

I have black belts in Ty Kwando, Jujitsu, Karate, Bitch slapping and baby pinching.

I can kick any body's ass such that they will be sitting on the back of their head.

I can jump higher, dive deeper, come up dryer...

Somebody's at the door. I'll finish this when I get back.
View Quote

Holy Shit, I think I broke something laughing!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got select fire M-16s, M14s, BARs, FALs, ABCs, guns, hats, knifes, peashootes, super soakers and any other damn thing you can think of.

I've got Ma Dueces, LAWS, Red Eyes, Stingers, back pack nukes, rotten eggs and tomatoes, and big rocks.

I got an F15 Eagle, an A-10 Warthog, an F18 Hornet, a Honda 400 XR and a Huffy 18 speed.

There all in basement right now.

I have black belts in Ty Kwando, Jujitsu, Karate, Bitch slapping and baby pinching.

I can kick any body's ass such that they will be sitting on the back of their head.

I can jump higher, dive deeper, come up dryer...

Somebody's at the door. I'll finish this when I get back.
View Quote

YOU THE MAN!!!! By the way, is your right hand strong enough to crush a Volkswagen?
[:D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tell me again what a good idea it was to do away with the post counts?  What better way to spot a new arrival.[:(!]

Last time I will beat this dead horse.[8)]
View Quote

...kinda what I was thinkin'...
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why does this board have such a severe propensity for turning perfectly logical, meaningful threads into completely unrelated, meaningless arguments? [:D]
View Quote

...kinda what I was thinkin'...
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#18]
It was meaningful before the syntax bantor began?  Find a hobby.  

Chimborazo,

LOL.  Sorry to drag you into this, sorta- just having a little fun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#20]
What is a GUN?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top