Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2001 10:13:28 PM EDT
I bought a new ELCAN C-79 scope from a guy that lives in Canada.  I paid $300 for the scope and am awaiting arrival of it.  It is been grounded at customs for the last 3 days now.  This is my first order from anyone in Canada.  What fees will I pay when it arrives in the US?  Will I have to pay one of those big tariffs?    
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Has it been grounded at US customs or Canadian customs?

Six
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Canadian customs
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope I did not get your hopes up, becuase I am not very sure on the answer. But I would venture to say that there will be no duty charged. I believe one is allowed to impotr up to $400 with out duty or tarrifs under the North American Free trade agreement. This is just a shot in the dark.

Six
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
It may also have been stopped because it contains a radio-active element(?) also since it's current issue they may be wondering if it's stolen military property,just a couple ideas....
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 3:18:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Or they're still pissed about the South Park movie.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 6:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Just do us a favor and pass on what ever happens, maybe we all can learn something.

Six
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in Canada and conduct a fair amount of business across the border.  I purchase firearms parts from Brownells, and off of E-bay.  I pay the appropriate duties to import these parts, and in Canada it is charged on shipments with a value greater than $25.

I have no idea why Canada customs would stop the parcel as it is leaving Canada.  US Customs on the other hand inspects all parcels entering the US, much like Canada Customs does with all parcels entering Canada.

Depending on what is listed on the declaration form, the parcel can be opened or forwarded unopened.  I would be interested to know why the Canadians would stop this package when it is leaving, unless it is as a result of the WTC incident and all of the increased security.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey M-K, just like Smgcon does, I also do alot of "mail order" purchases from across the line.  I've yet to have any problems with Canada Customs holding a package for an extended period of time (usually the only delay is when they have to open the package up to inspect it - and even then the delay is almost non-existent).  Are you sure it is being held on the Canadian side?  Where did you get this information from (the seller?).  I'm not sure why Canada customs would be holding a package going to the US - you'd think they'd let US customs do their job and let the thing across...

hsld
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Scope arrived safe and sound on Tue.  I did not even have to pay any duties or Tariffs.  This ELCAN scope is SWEET!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top