Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2001 1:37:06 PM EDT
Was at a friends rural home last night helping do some welding repairs on his tractor when all hell breaks loose.  Dogfight!  Friend looks around for his little Norwegian Elkhound and he's missing.  We run down the fenceline toward the commotion and come upon a Pit Bull savaging his dog.  Smokey was already out of the fight and down and the attacking dog was latched on pretty hard on the upper part of a front leg and shaking hell out of it.  It took 3 (third one through an eyehole did it as the dog released and turned toward me with intent after two hits) .38 HydraShok's to put him down.  

After looking Smokey over it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to make it.  Unconscious.  Front legs looked like a butcher had been at them (pit bulls apparently attack often in this way).  Hardly any fur left.  Throat was wide open and oozing after having, obviously, been pumping.  

Pit Bull belonged to a local county official who showed up just as we were looking Smokey over.  Very upset and irate over his dead dog.  He listened as we discussed whether to put Smokey down.  As my friend, who was VERY upset, said he couldn't do it and would I the 'official' said something along the line of "F--- that, I'LL kill the sonuvabitch myself" and moved that way.  Being more than a little upset myself, I screamed at him "Hold it!", drew my snubbie, walked over and put Smokey down.  Then I turned, performed a reload (I was down to one round) and asked him if he still felt like killing something.  You all would've loved the look on his face.

Like I said in another thread, NO pets should be allowed off their owners property, UNATTENDED, EVER.  The Pit Bull was about 150 yards from his house and WELL into my friends property.  Just found out that there had been 4 previous complaints against the dog.  Running loose, threatening behavior towards kids and other dogs.  Some people....

CB

Edited because BISHOP makes a good point about animals off owners property.  I added 'UNATTENDED' as THAT is my true belief.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If the other dog was dead what was the point.

If anyone lays a finger on my American Bulldog he can expect a .45 200 grain corbon to the forehead.

count yourself lucky pal, I would not be so proud if I was you.

A bucket of cold water and a wooden wedge could have ended it all without more bloodshed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You sound so thrilled.
Hope you had fun.
Poor dogs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Claybuster-- You did the right thing. I would have shot that friggin dog too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If anyone lays a finger on my American Bulldog he can expect a .45 200 grain corbon to the forehead.

A bucket of cold water and a wooden wedge could have ended it all without more bloodshed.
View Quote

Dude, I have two dogs but gotta disagree with you. I'm not one of these "ban the pitbull" morons but if dog A is on MY property and kills my dog, I will kill dog A. If dog As owner kept Dog A under control dog A will be alive.

But if Dog A gets loose and happens upon my property I may bitch and complain, but that is about it. It is only if dog A is on MY property and attacking me, my dog or family that dog A will lose it's life.

It is sad and unfortunate, two dog owners lost their dogs. It could have been avoided if the pit owner was more responsible.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Way to go Claybuster! Pit Bulls and irresponsible owners spell disaster waiting to happen as you and your friend found out. That fabulous breed of dog has been ruined by idiots. You did the dog, his owner and the neighborhood a favor. One more thing, tell your friend to make an incident report with the local S.O. and a claim for lost propery on the owners home owners policy. They will cancel his insurance most riki tik.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps the poor, misunderstood pit bull just needed a hug.

If any dog (including American Bulldog's) attacks my lab on [b]my[/b] property it's getting a slug in it.

If any two-legged animal comes on to [b]my[/b] property thinking that it's going to defend the carcass of that dog and tries to do me harm, it's getting a slug in it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Ha! I would have killed the SOB local official if that was his dog that did the attacking.  Hogs gotta eat too!

At least you rid the world of another evil dog.  I was cornered by a pit bull once--once!  
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Claybuster,
The pit bull had no business in your friends yard.  And the fact that it has had complaints in the past  shows it to be a danger.
Now Ariel lets think if that had been a small child would you feel difrently about this. And if you came near me with your gun you could expect to be shot about thirty times and I would walk with self-defense so you should keep you dog locked up or you may find yourself in a far worse situation.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Thought I don't agree with your "NO pets should be allowed off their owners property EVER." Quote, You did the right thing and I would loved to have been able to see the look on the man's face..

I would have done the same.  ANY animal that causes havoc on my progert gets something from a single BB at its ass to "move it along" to blown away!!!

YOU don't like it?  Then lets talk legal action on the damage your animal caused to my property.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't know what your problem is but if your dog comes on my property and attacks my dog, your dog is dead period.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, this one has me riled...

Ariel, I don't give a flying **** if you love your dog so much - if it's attacking my animal - or child, especially on [b]my[/b] land, it will die.  And you'll be damn glad you don't either.

I love animals, dogs, (cat's I can't stand), horses, whatever.... but if it's wandered from your yard, it's outside of your care and control, too f***ing bad.  Claybuster did the right thing.

Frankly, the owner of that damn dog should be made to pay for the loss of his Claybuster's freinds dog.

And before you start spouting off "if anyone lays a finger on my ... "  remember, in this particular case, you are arguing that [b]your[/b] dog, and by extension, you, can lay a finger (or a tooth) on someone else's and they should not be upset?

You defeat your own point.  The idiot in this case that owned the Pit Bull had received complaints about his dog, but failed to ensure that it was properly restrained.

If this sounds a bit harsh, then so be it - I have been deprived of sleep way to long, and am feed up with idiot people that think they have no responsibility for the actions of a pet, nor do they have to suffer the consequences when something happens and they are/were responsible.

"The other dog was dead, what was the point" - no, the other dog wasn't dead - he had to put him down!  He was dying, but they didn't have time to stop and determine if, with sufficient surgery and blood, the dog would recover...remind me not to have you as backup in a fight - if I get wounded especially...

Flame away.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#12]
No doubt the fault lies with the pit bull's owner.
It IS, however a shame.
I think Ariel is perceptively noticing Claybuster's inappropriate jubilance, that's all.
Poor dogs.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ariel, let me answer your points one at a ti....ah, screw it.

You are an illiterate, illogical IDIOT!  (Sorry, Ed, Sr., but it just had to be said)

CB
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#14]
i had a black lab about twenty years ago,i was seventeen at the time. she was a very protective dog to say the least. one day while outside she took off like a crazed bitch through the front yard whitch was about a hundred yards wide,took a little kid by the hood of his coat and pulled him off his trike.that afternoon she was put to sleep. the kids parents didn't want to press charges because there son was not hurt in the least physically.MORAL to this story. first time must be the last time or it will keep happening until another animal or human is killed.....i have known cattle ranchers here in idaho that have killed their cattle dogs for nipping at the heals of their kids............dave
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm, I don't know where the comments that Claybuster was jubilant about it comes from... I've read his post now three times and don't read that in there... I read that he was VERY pissed off ... but jubilant, no.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Like I said.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#18]
About the only thing I was 'jubilant' about was the look on the attacking dogs owner after I put Smokey down.  

Sorry if anyone thinks I got any kicks out of this.  I certainly did not!!  I mainly related the story to illustrate what can happen when a pet is allowed to be run 'at large'.  GodBlessTexas just lost a family pet for the same reason.

The really tragic thing about this is it really wasn't the attacking dogs' fault.  It was the owners.

CB
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#19]
What shame...I hate to see animals have to suffer like that because of people that don't know how to raise them...On the other hand I would have pumped 2 14 gauge lines with some LR into the poor dog to see if it could have been saved.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you don't pet your dog.  He probably likes it that way anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Roger that.
I mistook adrenaline for jubilance.
Still a damned shame, I really hate to see dogs get hurt.
Absolutely breaks my heart.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you read what you wrote before posting it??
You came off sounding like a fool.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I must have read it too quick.

I agree the real culprit was the Moron who let his dog out.

Dogs are dogs and they will fight.

If another dog is killing my dog I will beat the shit out of that dog with a stick or something but I will not shoot a dog, unless it is attacking a person ( bad guys excluded )

It is unfortunate that your friends dog was killed by the Pit Bull.

But that is Nature at work.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn...

You really had me going...

Right up to that last line.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#25]

But that is Nature at work.
View Quote

I disagree.

If these were two wild dogs... and these two wild dogs met in a vast expanse of land, and fought... then yes, that is "Nature at work"

However, that is not what happened.  Some guy has a "domesticated" pit bull, on private property, and did not take care to ensure his dog stayed on his property.

Then he attacks another domesticated animal, on other's property.

That aint nature... that's negligence.

Now I dont believe in lawsuits, or grudges, or all that crap.... but the owner of the pit has no possible ground to complain about his dead dog.  He was negligent in it's care.  Therefore, he has to deal with the consequences.  Nothing more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Claybuster, you did the right thing, and I would have done the same if a dangerous animal was attacking any member of my family, pets included.

My wife was attacked by a pit bull when she was 4 years old that nearly killed her.  Ripped off portions of her scalp and areas under her chin that required extensive plastic surgery to repair.  She still has some minor scars that are hardly noticable.  I would have never been able to tell had she not told me about it.  She was playing in her grandmother's back yard when the pit bull walked in and attacked her.  If she hadn't played dead she probably would not be alive today.

I myself have almost killed the German shepherd that lives across the street from my house.  His owners keep him in their back yard and every once in a while he escapes.  The first time he threatened my family was Nov. 1, 2000 when he got out and charged my wife and my w year old daughter as they were checking the mail.  Had I not jumped in front of them and kicked him he could have severely injured both of them.  The Constable gave his owner a hefty ticket, especially when the dog attempted to attak him and had to be maced four times to be repelled.

He got out again on the Fourth of July as my wife and I were out with our little girl and our four month old son in the stroller.  He came running into our yard and we barely made it into the house before he ran up on our porch barking.  At that point I was ready to shoot him, but my wife said to contact the authorities instead.  County Animal Control was called but they were closed and calls to the Constable got no response.  The neighbors weren't home, and hadn't been for months because of mold in their home.

The next time he takes an aggressive posture on my property against my family, he will be dead.  As long as he leaves my family and the others in the neighborhood alone, I have no problem with him.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I was typing my " apology" when you so decided to attack me.

Oh well.

You have chosen to judge me as an idiot because of a couple of typos, fair enough. I am here to enjoy myself and learn a bit about Ars and other things, not to type like an executive.

Illogical, my logic is based on my own frame of reference so you will not relate to it.

Idiot, perhaps, that is the way I sometimes come across to those who do not know me.

You come across as the type of totting guy that is looking for the first chance to let a bullet loose, and give us all a bad name.

To those who do not get the phrase " to lay a finger " I meant to harm, as in shoot, beat , you name it.

It was not your house, it was not your dog, you guys suspected his dog was dead.

You wanted to kill something.

BTW you should consider switching to a .45 ACP. :). In case next time is a Rotweiller or Great Dane, and you run out of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Ariel, you can have your stick and beat to your hearts content but if your dog was attacking my dog on MY property it would be as dead as the one Claybuster put down.

BKVic
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#29]
It is obvious that some of you never had to stop a dogfight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#30]
All I need to know about this situation I learned during my childhood...

[b]what is it about some dog people?[/b]  What is it they don't understand?

Don't you get it that someone else my actually be afraid of your animal - as warm and fuzzy as it might be to you (not me, my daughter), yet you still insist on letting that stupid tape-measure type leash you have run all the way out when you approach me and mine.

Get a clue... keep you animal under control especially if it is in [b]my[/b] yard!

I suppose that you would approve of my dog jumping your fence (or coming into your yeard in someother manner) and chasing your family (or your dog) as if it were going to bite and maim them?

Sure, pour a bucket of water on it and pry it off with a stick...

"Just a minute, sweetie, daddy's got to find and fill a bucket with water, and then find a stick or something to pry that nice doggies jaws apart"... give me a frickin' break...

And I don't think Claybuster wanted to kill anything... he simply saw a situation, and used the tool at hand in the proper manner to remedy the situation.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I, too, was in the process of typing MY apology for my 'idiot' post.  I abhor the 'attack squads' that frequent this site (hence my apology to Ed, Sr.) so am hypocritical in joining in.  Regardless of YOUR attack on me I am still sorry for mine on you.  All my good stuff disappeared when I went back to cut/paste some stuff from my original to point out that the dog , after being shot through the lights twice, released its grip, turned toward us and took 2-3 steps in our direction while growling.  THAT'S when I killed it.  Is that behavior enough to justify, in your view, my killing the dog?

Your claim to 'typos' in defending your intial post is interesting.  I never knew a 'typo' could be a whole sentence or FOUR!

So, because I used my legally carried firearm to stop what I saw as an imminent threat posed by a loose animal that I had just witnessed attacking another dog and related my story to this site I'm a (sic) 'totting guy that is looking for the first chance to let a bullet loose'?  Whatever...

Please, explain to me what relevance having experience in stopping a dogfight has to do in this case.  How would you have me stop it?  Bucket of water?  We were 100' or so from his DRY barn.  Wooden wedge??  What is that and how is it used to stop a dogfight?  Hit it with a stick or some such thing?  We were in tall grass near a fenceline in the middle of NOTHING!  I certainly wasn't going to lay hands on the thing.  Believe it or not, this incident is one of the reasons I carry as I spend a lot of time hiking with MY dog and I want to be able to protect HER from a dog such as this or any other wild animal that might attack her.

So, the members here all "suspected his dog was dead"?  They all read the post.  I never said that.  I said I put him down for my friend.  So what if Smokey was already dead when I shot the pit bull.  Does that mean I shouldn't have shot him as he turned and approached me?  Most of us believe in capital punishment and that's exactly what the bull got.

Should I now have shot him even if he released and just sat down?  You're DAMN RIGHT I wanted to kill something.  I wanted to kill the out of control dog that had just attacked my friend, Smokey.  Something wrong with THAT, Ariel??

I stand by my initial classification of you.  Not the idiot part.  You ARE illogical in your arguments and defense of same.  You demonstrate illiteracy in your inability to read and comprehend the English language.  Protestations of 'typos' be damned.

CB

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh I can read and comprehend English, Spanish, Italian, and a wee bit of Japanese and French.

I assumed that I had made a typing mistake of some sort, therefore granting me the satus of illiterate.

What I wrote I ment, and you did add to your initial post after my reply, so I did not get the full swing of your story.

Now that you explained the situation in detail you make more sense.

BTW had to dead a Pitbull does not reads very well, does it.

If I offended you I am sorry.

EDITED because I can't type , remember I am an IDIOT.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Claybuster, I would have done the same thing if I where in your shoes!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Some of this Guys should get a job with R Guns. Talk about Cunts attitude.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#40]
i would have done the same thing man, i side with claybuster
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#41]
You did the right thing Claybuster. I do have a suggestion for you however, get a .45!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What shame...I hate to see animals have to suffer like that because of people that don't know how to raise them...On the other hand I would have pumped 2 14 gauge lines with some LR into the poor dog to see if it could have been saved.

Dan
View Quote

No, Dan, even a corpsman like yourself would have seen it was hopeless.  On examining Smokey after it was easy to see that his throat was savaged so that it couldn't have been repaired.  I could see the arteries and he'd already lost an INCREDIBLE amount of blood.  Besides, it's very rural down there.  We were 100 yards from his house let alone Vet help.

My friend just called and said he'd lodged a complaint with the S.O.  

CB
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Cocked eyed locked SCREW U

Edited to replaced the f word.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You did the right thing Claybuster. I do have a suggestion for you however, get a .45!!!
View Quote

Oh, I have 'one or two' of those, hoser.  Let me guess, you shoot open class, right? [;)]  I do pretty well with the Ti snubby, though.  I don't care for trying to conceal even the smallest .45 wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

CB
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I knew that would make your day Cockedandlocked.

Was it good?

Nice one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cocked eyed locked SCREW U

Edited to replaced the f word.
View Quote

So much for the calm, educated, thinking mans response .
View Quote

It appears that Ariel may be one of our younger members which is a good reason to let the insults die out now.  Agreed?

CB
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#49]
You started the insults, and Cockeandlocked took it upon himself to try to change my spelling, grammar and way of thinking with 2 or 3 posts.

You did the best you could do. We are not all the same. I would have acted differently, that's just me.

Sorry about both dogs and your friends loss.

Once again I apologize for missunderstanding your first post.

BTW I am 28.

Edited to add my age
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Claybuster,  You were absolutely right in shooting that dog.  I would have done exactly the same thing.  The idiot dog owner who let his clearly vicious mutt roam free was lucky you kept your cool head.

Ariel, you are dead wrong.  A dog (and I AM a dog owner and lover.) is a DOG and not a human.  A vicious dog like the one in this case MUST be destroyed before it kills...another animal or worse yet a human.  The SOB who owned the dog was lucky not to be hauled into court and answer to a jury for his action...or in this case inaction.  For the record, I would have shot that animal just as fast.  It's a shame that the friend's pooch didn't survive.  If that had been my golden retriever killed by the pit bull...well...I just don't know what I would have done...but like I said, that guy was lucky, especially since he got nasty.

Occasionally, we hear about case like that here.  I get so pissed when I hear the moron owners of the offending vicious dog say that, "It never happened before"...or, "He's always been friendly to my kids!".  Baloney.  In virtually every case, the dog has bitten before, either a neighbor's pet or a child and got away with it without being put down.

As far as I'm concerned, it is this simple: Dog like that attacks only once.  Then it's the big needle and the night-night juice.

I'll tell you another thing while it's my nickle, anyone who keeps a dog like that as a weapon and has occasion to use that dog against me or mine, is putting themselves at risk just as if they were pulling a gun on me.

About a block from my house lives a family with a couple of large, mean mutts.  When we take a walk with the kids I always make sure I have my sidearm and my license.  So far, they have never escaped but I can just tell that if they ever do, it won't be pretty.  One of those mutts gets out it will NOT make it to the kids or my wife.  They may get a piece of me...but they won't make it to the vet's.

Good job Claybuster.

[pissed][soapbox][pissed]

[argue]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top