Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2001 12:03:11 PM EDT
Given the supposed shortage of Ciprofloxin, and the inability of Bayer to make enough for their current contract until 2005 or something like that, why doesn't the goverment allow another company to jump in and up the manufacturing of the product?

Pay Bayer a licensing fee, and get on with it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Or, you guys could just buy some from me, since I have a very nice little stockpile of it from all my kidney problems this past year...

Only $7.50 per 500mg dose! [:D]

* [i]Legal Disclaimer:  I am not really selling FDA regulated drugs for $7.50 a dose, that's just to get them hooked... The actual price will be closer to $24.95[/i]

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The only benefit of illnesses.

We've got a cabinet full of antibiotics that my wife turned out to be allergic to, pain meds, you name it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Please.  Penicillin would do fine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Penicillin works?  Then heck, I'm set.  I will undercut Anti selling some of the moldy bread I found behind the fridge.  Only 2.50 a slice.  That should do the job. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
[s]Hielo is correct.
There are a gob of antibiotics that treat anthrax very effectively.Unless it is bioengineered,and then none of them work.
You are more likely to die from a myocardial infarction or a car wreck.[/s]
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Or go to Google and search for Canada and Pharmacies.You will find many sites for much cheaper medications than in the US.Most are 50%-70% less and this includes most blood pressure,heart and Diabetes medicines.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
[size=5][red]CIPRO -- Only $7.50 per 500mg dose![/red][/size=5]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Tim why did you do that?
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or go to Google and search for Canada and Pharmacies.You will find many sites for much cheaper medications than in the US.Most are 50%-70% less and this includes most blood pressure,heart and Diabetes medicines.
cpermd
View Quote

Dammit man...  you're bad fore business! [pissed]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tim why did you do that?
cpermd
View Quote

It was a JOKE...  You're killin' our homegrown CIPRO sales!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey
If anybody is going to sell it it should be me
I have a state license and Two DEAs
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#12]

[b]ATTENTION:

CPERMD is a doc, and knows of what he is speaking![/b]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The drug stores in Mexico stock both Cipro and some of the alternative antibiotics. The prices are considerably less than in the States, although recent demand may change that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#14]
What is worse is Cipro($6.10) is no better than Bactrim(42 cents) for the urinary tract.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Tim
Did you ever pick my number?
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you
And remember BACTRIM next time
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#18]
That is another LIE by out Gov.
There are all kinds of antibiotics that do the same thing as Cipro. Its just that EVERY antibiotic has to pay a FEE for every illness that it "cures"  Cipro put Anthrax on their pill as one of the many things it helps.
Other companies never thought they would have to put Anthrax on the list because when was it EVER needed?

BISHOP
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep.

My wife Code Blued on the operating table from Vaccomyacin.  She very allergic to almost every single antibiotic.  It's a real problem.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually any quinolone will work
Any tetracycline will work
Pen G will work
There are eight more that treat anthrax
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Mexico used to be a good source...until recently. They are selling out too. I should know, that's where mine came from. It is much cheaper down there, like $20.00 per 14 tabs but the price is going up fast with demand.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone happen to know if any of the antibiotics that veterinarians normally use  will work?

At this point, the question is purely  hypothetical, but it never hurts to have a backup plan...
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#25]
read this:
[url]http://medicalcorps.org/p10.htm[/url]

I don't know how safe it is taking animal/fish medicine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#26]
First off, Cipro is the only oral (tablet form) antibiotic that has been approved to treat anthrax.  Not too many people are going to go out and buy IV bottles with penicillin G.

Second off, it's incredibly fucking stupid to stockpile the stuff OR to self-medicate unless you REALLY know what you're doing.

1) Cipro degrades over time, like almost any drug -- if you get exposed next July, the stuff that's been sitting in your gunsafe isn't going to be as potent as the stuff you buy fresh, and that difference could kill you.

2) The specific strain of anthrax (or whatever other bacterial-DNA-based disease) could turn out to be resistant to Ciprofloxacin, in which case you'll be dead by the time you figure it out.

3) If you take the medication without really having a disease for which it would actually be needed/useful, such as treating a cold with antibiotics (the pinnacle of stupidity), all you do is kill off the non-resistant bacteria in your body, leaving your body filled with bacteria which are resistant to that drug -- and since bacteria swap DNA fragments (plasmids), if you do get infected with anthrax later, the anthrax bacteria can "learn" resistance to Cipro more quickly, at which point you're dead.

4) If you take it before you get tested, the test might come up negative, at which point you'll probably slack off -- which would allow the remaining, now-resistant, bacteria to reestablish themselves.  Subsequent treatment would be futile, and you end up dead.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but does anyone notice how these all tend to end with "... you're dead"?

(#4 is basically what happened to me last year, except that it was the physician who fucked up by underprescribing the necessary antibiotics because his philosophy was to "help the body heal itself", rather than "to cure the illness".  The resulting mess cost me eight months, several thousand dollars, my job, several more thousand dollars, and nearly my life.  Q.E.D.)

Third off, there are plenty of companies out there that can make Cipro.  The issue is royalty payments to Bayer for their patent.  IMHO they deserve every penny, since if they don't make money, they don't develop new antibiotics.  And we need new ones because the existing antibiotics are being rendered useless because stupid fucking morons go around abusing them -- underdosing themselves, taking the drugs when they're not needed, feeding them to factory-farmed animals to prevent disease, and all sorts of other really pathetically bad reasons.

If the above sounds preachy to you, just wait until you get one of the "superbugs" that are going around nowadays, and see how fast you get converted -- if you survive the experience. . . .  Maybe your wife, children, or other heirs will get converted instead.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Hah.  Someone posted a (nonworking) link to a story on Bellesiles' research being debunked, and when I tried to track down the story, I ran into this:

[url]http://www.boston.com/news/daily/17/health_salmonella.htm[/url]
[blue]Drug-Resistant Salmonella Found in Meats[/blue]
"One in five samples of supermarket ground meat and poultry bought for a study was contaminated with salmonella, and most of the strains were resistant to antibiotics."

The lovely thing about that is, you get sick, you take antibiotics, and [red]all of the benign bacteria that normally live in your body get wiped out[/red].  The resistant disease-bacteria strains that you were trying to kill don't get touched.  And all you've done is cleared the field for them, wiping out all of the competing bacteria.

The bad bugs then go on a rampage, and you end up in the ICU, and maybe even end up dead.

Oh, there's that word again. . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top