Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2001 7:16:38 AM EDT
From reading the article below, NYJ Damian Robinson was arrested for having a Bushmaster, 30 round magazines and ammunition when bomb sniffing dogs alerted police at the Meadowlands.

Hmmmm, I'm guessing here, but the only law I believe broken here was possession of 30 round magazines.  Jeeez, the gun was unloaded and in a hard case.  The article eluded to the gun being a fully auto.

Glad I don't live in NJ!

[url]http://www.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,4414057_59,00.html[/url]

Jets' Robinson charged, fined for possession of assault rifle  
Oct. 16, 2001
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- New York Jets safety Damien Robinson was fined a week's pay by the NFL team after being charged with taking an assault rifle into a Giants Stadium parking lot.

Damien Robinson(AP)  

The arrest took place in East Rutherford, N.J., several hours before the Jets beat the Miami Dolphins on Sunday. Robinson, a free safety, played in the game.

Police found in the trunk of Robinson's truck a Bushmaster .223 assault rifle, three high-capacity magazines that hold 30 rounds each, and two boxes of ammunition containing 100 rounds each. The rifle and the magazines are illegal under a 1990 New Jersey law that bans the sale and possession of many kinds of automatic weapons.

Robinson could face up to five years in prison if convicted. He was released Sunday night on his own recognizance, and the matter will be turned over to the county prosecutor. He has waived arraignment.

[Text Deleted

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Spambo
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I am really going to be interested in what a national sports figure gets for illegal possession of an AR15 and mags.

I'm keeping an eye on this.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they really out and out banned in Jersey?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Everything over a soda straw is banned in the Peoples Republic of NJ.

You thought Kalifornia was bad....
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Here in Florida its illegal to take one into the stadium (when there is a game going on).

-SS
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, it's illegal to take one into the stadium here too, but only when we're playing the Gators!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Post-ban AR15's are legal to own in NJ . Besides having the 30 round mags other possible reasons could be:
1)Did not possess a NJ firearms ID card
2)When transporting a firearm it must must be stored separately from ammo(ie firearms in trunk and ammo in car)
3)You are not supposed to deviate from your course of travel.

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're so inclined, add to this thread on the Jets website:  [url]http://www.newyorkjets.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000168[/url].  Maybe Robinson will see it and decide to fight.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
3)You are not supposed to deviate from your course of travel.
View Quote

Is this even physically possible?  [:)]

If you turn left then turning left is your course of travel.  I get this mental image of a guy driving down the road and suddenly his car splits apart like a cell dividing and the two copies head off in different directions.  Maybe I just haven't been getting enough sleep.  [:)]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you actually mean the AR15 and PSS in my window rack and the ParaOrdnance in my console would get me a ticket there?
Thank the Lord for Arkansas.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
A Ticket, they'll get you thrown in Prison.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
It will be  interesting, they need to show intent, if it was in his trunk, seperate, he lives not in NJ, and was going to PA after the game, he might have a plausible defense. The real problem is th magazines, you can own them if they are temporality, something like that, blocked, if they have 15 empty brassin them thy are legal. My question is why do I have to be held to a different standard than my neighbor in NY or PA?
One nation under G*d, not in NJ!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah I read this in the sports page today. "Crock-O-Sh*t" comes to mind.

Glad I don't live there!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
He needs to fight it.

The NRA would certainly back him.  They should file a civil rights case against the state of New Jersey, using the Emerson case as a outline, and take it to the US Supreme Court.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He needs to fight it.

The NRA would certainly back him.  They should file a civil rights case against the state of New Jersey, using the Emerson case as a outline, and take it to the US Supreme Court.
View Quote

Absolutely right. We all need to start fighting every one of these.
A class action suit is still a great idea IMO. It might draw a high profile legal team and give us enough might to really take on all of these unconstitutional laws.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#15]
No, no, no, no, it wasn't a Bushmaster, it was a Beastmaster.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#16]
good to see a pro sports player has a good taste in firearms, too bad he got arrested for what seems like a crappy law. It was locked in the trunk, a very safe way of transporting it. And I thought NY was bad.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's what we CAN do. Call, write, email sportsline first. Correct them on the "automatic" weapon comment. I am guessing what he had was a SEMI-automatic that functions like all hunting rifles that are semi. Suggest they print a clarification. Do the same for any news outlet that prints incorrect information about the firearm, and or laws. Try to get your comments on/in the editorial sections.
And lastly, give the New York Jets a piece of your mind concerning penalizing someone for safe/responsible gun handling.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't BELIEVE what IDIOTS they have working for the New York Jets. I'm not talking about Damien Robinson either! They fine him and are still considering suspension because his being caught with the AR  was "...conduct detrimental to the team."
WELL, WA WA WA WA WA WA WA, BOO HOO, PISS & MOAN. They've got the guy APOLOGIZING to everyone for making a human mistake that caused no one any harm. I'm so mad I can't see straight! (and I haven't cared about pro sports since the '70s). What a bunch of cry baby, overly sensitive, greedy(the team just saved a few bucks by not paying him), ignorant.............
Read it for yourself:
[url]www.newyorkjets.com/news/index.php[/url]
look around on their site, there's several stories on it. Makes me sick!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top