Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2001 3:07:00 PM EDT
I have a .308 sighted in at 200yds. I know it will drop about 9in. at 300, about 25in at 400 and about 50in at 500yards. The scope has 1/4 moa at 100 yards. How many clicks do I go up at each of those distances to hit at cross-hair point of aim? Please, I've got a mil-dot master but this stuff is all new to me. I think the 400 would be 25 clicks or moa but then I get hazy.   Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it, here goes.  1 moa at 100 yards equals about 1 inch, at 200 yards 2 inches, at three hundred yards 3 inches, etc...
To aim dead on at 300 yds you need to rais the bullet inpact 9 inches, which equals 3 moa.  On my scope which has 1/4 moa adjustments to raise the bullet 3 moa you would adjust up 12 clicks, and aim dead on with the cross hairs (assuming no correction for windage). At 500 yards you need to come up 50 inches, which at that distance is 10 moa.  10 x 4 = 40 clicks up.  If you know your bullet coefficient, weight and muzzel velocity you can use an external ballistics program to calculate bullet drop and drift. I use [url]http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/balistics/[/url]
Any corrections by people more in the know are greatly appreciated. Dennis
[red]....long distance, the next best thing to being there....[/red]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, go here an try the trial version [url]http://www.shooterready.com/lrs.html[/url]

When you find out how cool and informative it is, buy the CD.

Seriously, this will let you practice ranging the mildot scope at home FOR FREE!  They go shoot and enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Loader,
 The trick with elevation adjustments is to think [b]in minutes[/b]. As dmuldrew stated moa=1"@100, moa=2"@200 etc... moa=8"@800 & moa= 10"@1000. Now substitute minutes for inches, with the turrets (you didn't say if u have 'em, I'll assume u do) installed on your mil-dot scope (hopefully it's a Leupold Vari X III or high quality equivalent) the marks are set in minutes, so the 9"/3"(moa@300)= 3 minutes. With scope and gun zeroed at 100 yards, roll your elevation turret up to the 3 minute mark and your there. It will take hardly any time at all to get the swing of elevation adjustment as long as u drop this 1/4" per click thinking. May sound confusing, but once you've got your come-ups in minutes from 100 out to 1000 or so yards and shoot 2 or 3 weekends you'll wonder why you ever messed w/ those clicks.
If you happen not to have turrets get u some Butler Creek turrets (1/2 min marks)and install them, they are a good substitute for the factory Leupold turrets.

Example: Say you take a shot at 500 yards and your shot is roughly 8-9" low - moa@500 is 5", crank up 2 mins (=10") and send another round downrange, shot should be a little high, but then u can fine tune it down. (One of the reasons LRange shooters like Leupold elev. turrets are the 1/4 min marks for precision recording of come-ups. (Remember to write 'em down, and before long you'll get to know your load/rifle and will be able to adjust for the temp/humidity on almost any day)

Hope this helps ya,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, you have all been helpful. It looks like practice practice practice until it becomes second nature. Thanks again
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, 1 MOA = 1.047 inches

MOA classroom:
How many exact inches does one minute of angle cover at 600 yards?
Answer: 6 X 1.047 equals 6.282. (6 inches = 1 moa at 600 yards).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top