Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 6:52:28 PM EDT

are there any problems with adding iodine to the resevoir? i picked up an inline filter today that seems as if it could be useful and it supposedly filters out the plastic flavor and also any iodine taste. (by safewater anywhere)

if you refill regularly with untreated water, what procedures do you use? im thinking treating and after use, cleaning and sanitizing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#1]
To get the plastic taste out, just fill the resevoir with water for a week or two - changing the water every 12 hrs or so.  This should wash out that plastic taste.  They sell brushes to clean the reservoir and tubing with.  I would NOT put contaminated water into the reservoir - for the reservoir will FOREVER be contaminated - you will never be able to consider it to be clean.  Use a filter to put clean water into the reservoir.  Also don't ever freeze a Camelback, it causes it to leak.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
beanbagger,
I don't think that iodine in the water will hurt the resevoir, but as sitting bull stated I would not put dirty water in it. Use another container or your canteen to clean the water before you fill your camelback. I carry the 70oz CB plus 2x canteens on my LBE just for that. Plus the canteens have NBC tops for use with my mask when in MOPP conditions.
-David
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Love mine!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
To get rid of plastic taste use a bit of lemon juice. A tablespoon or two of baking soda left in a water filled bladder overnight will help clean up the taste as well. For scrubbing a dirty Camelbak bladder, try some uncooked brown rice with some water to slosh around in it. Storing the unfilled or slightly filled cleaned bladder in the freezer keeps it safe while not in use.

As far as untreated or water found in the field goes, you must throughly purify it first before putting it in a Camelbak. You don't want to try to filter or treat it through a filtration device in the drinking tube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top