Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 5:50:42 PM EDT
 Anyone else ever slide the issue cleaning rod down the barrel,load a blank and shoot stuff?
When i was with LRS we'd shoot doves (groundswiped em) and cook them over a peice of Tri-whatever that shit was called. Sure beat the hell out of Potato Au Gratin...
Some of the "city boys" thought we were nuts but after a couple weeks of MRE's I can only think of one thing that smells better than fresh meat and there wasn't any of that around.
While training in Peurto Rico we used to tie our bayonets to poles and spear lobsters, now that was some good eatin' vittles.  
Two things I learned in my ten years as a soldier:
 I can sleep anywhere and hunger is the mother of invention.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, that omost gives me a good reason to buy some blanks. What was the barrel length and did you use the entire cleaning rod or just a section or two? Is this a 'stealth' hunting method. Any reason why not just use FMJ?[sniper]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
"What was the barrel length and did you use the entire cleaning rod or just a section or two? Is this a 'stealth' hunting method. Any reason why not just use FMJ?"

---> We were issued 20" M-16's mostly FN's and Colts. I usually used two sections screwed together as it made it heavier and more effective.
I don't think stealth would best describe a blank being fired in the woods...
As for why we didn't use FMJ..two reasons, one, there wouldn't be anything left to eat, and two, we didn't have any live rounds. We were training, hence the blanks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
In south Korea there are a lot of noisy birds that wouldnt let you sleep during the day...a blank and a cleaning rod would bring sleep fairly quickly....I would never do that with my ar but my m16 I didnt give a rats ass.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey you just gave me an idea! I dont carry a cleaning rod in the field, but I should carry a blank or two. Why? how many of you are like me and have takin a fall or two in the mud while hunting? Barrel end first? Get the idea? blow it out with a blank! far better than with a live round or sticking a branchdown your barrel muzzle first. wonder about the pressure[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:42:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:52:01 AM EDT
[#6]
'shot a pig with a cleaning rod, in PTA, Hawaii.
Works like a charm.

As far as the "why not use FMJ?" question...

The military has a "thing" about soldiers or Marines shooting live rounds at animals, while training with blanks.  Usually a bad-conduct discharge is the result.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top