Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2001 7:57:20 PM EDT
This is a pretty dumb question, but are there any legal restrictions on the caliber of a weapon citizens in the US are allowed to own? I am curious because if there is not such a limit, couldn't someone buy one of those surplus Main Battle Tanks, and use non-explosive rounds, or would it be a destructive device with a $200 per round tax on each shell?
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:06:08 PM EDT
Yes. Federal involves "modern" weapons posessing a bore diameter larger than 1/2 inch . A 200.00 tax stamp is required. Also, each explosive shell requires a 200.00 stamp. The cost of maintaining a modern MBT, (Say a Chieftan) is trememdous, let alone transporting it, or finding a safe place to actually fire it's weaponry. However, there ARE collectors and firers of artillery. Ones I've personally seen are 20mm Lahti ATG's, a few 25mm Puteaux, and a PAK 38.. There was a nice WWI vintage French 75 for sale a while back too. The limiting factors seem to be finding a range.. Meplat-
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:12:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Meplat: Yes. Federal involves "modern" weapons posessing a bore diameter larger than 1/2 inch . A 200.00 tax stamp is required. Also, each explosive shell requires a 200.00 stamp. The cost of maintaining a modern MBT, (Say a Chieftan) is trememdous, let alone transporting it, or finding a safe place to actually fire it's weaponry. However, there ARE collectors and firers of artillery. Ones I've personally seen are 20mm Lahti ATG's, a few 25mm Puteaux, and a PAK 38.. There was a nice WWI vintage French 75 for sale a while back too. The limiting factors seem to be finding a range.. Meplat-
View Quote
Okay, so if the weapon has the over .50 Caliber bore, there is a tax stamp, but are there extra tax stamps for non-explosive shells? such as 20mm?
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 8:15:40 PM EDT
only shells containing more than .5 oz. of incendiary or explosive compounds, so a solid bullet I don't think would be a DD. I have live 30mm target practice rounds from an ammo dealer and there was no paper work for the above reason.
Top Top