Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 10/14/2001 5:10:22 PM EDT
I'm sure this is a question that has been asked and answered many times here, but I've obviously missed them. I have a bad habit of taking at least seven or eight rifles and three or four handguns at a time. And yes, I usually end up shooting most of them before the day is over. Keep in mind that I only get out to the range about once every two or three months and when I do I make a whole day of it. I usually get to the range about 9 and leave about 4, after having sent about 1k rounds down range. I'll usually go on a Saturday and spend the next morning cleaning guns. How about you guys?
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:33:35 PM EDT
Between 1 and 4.I only get out once every three or four months.My best day has been 9 hours.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:54:26 PM EDT
I prefer frequency over duration. I find my accuracy deteriorates after time. I ussually take one pistol, one shotgun and one rifle. Of course I have a 160 acre plot an hour outside of town, so I usually go three times a month in summer and once a month in winter.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:54:46 PM EDT
Most of my shooting is done in the mountains about 5 hours from here. I just got back today and i took two AR'S preban 16" car A-1 20" flat top gov barrel, 10fp savage in .223 . Imbel FAL and a Marlin 883 22 mag. I usually shoot them all ALOT!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:05:34 PM EDT
I usually bring 2-4 toys. I take a ton of ammo with me though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2001 6:11:27 PM EDT by 95thFoot]
I usually shoot 2-3X/week, when my kids are in school for about an hour or so, at the local ranges I'm a member of. I bring along either the AR (ArmaLite M15A2) or a bolt-action (usually 8mm Yugo M24/47 Mauser or Long Lee-Enfield [CLLE]), but I also always bring along a pistol (9X18 Makarov). I find lately the pistol is the one I practice with the most, usually about 35-50 rounds each session. Maks are a lot of fun, and the ammo's cheap. The bolt actions I'll shoot about 20-30 milsurp rounds, max. The AR- well, I could shoot it all day, but replacing that huge pile of brass is getting harder (and more expensive) to do....time to get a .22 LR kit for it, I think. So, two guns at a time at the range, and I'll try and clean them as best as I can when I'm there, since it's usually deserted during the day, and I disturb nobody with it. Otherwise I clean the guns in the afternoon when the kids come home, so I can watch them while they are playing outside, AND become habituated to seeing guns all the time, so they don't have to swallow all the anti-gun fear programming they hear at school. Anyway, as the man said, frequency is the key. I don't have years of muscle memory in my body for shooting- I got a late re-start on shooting as an adult, so I have to keep it up, or else I get lots of flyers :^). Even 10 shots with each gun in a session might be worth it, because, esp. lately, I try to make each shot count. I don't own any shotguns (yet), but once in a while I'll take out the flintlocks and blast away with them- always fun, and a challenge (Esp. with the Brown Bess).
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:34:44 PM EDT
four or five
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:50:39 PM EDT
Usually about 4 or 5. I used to bring much more, but it just became too much between all the ammo, spares, tools, and various other support equipment. You know its getting bad when 2 guys can't fit all their gear in a Suburban.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:56:11 PM EDT
Usually between 3 and 7. At least once a month. 200 to 1200 rnds later I come home. Always a good time. Guncrazy223 --------------------------------------- Some People are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:16:14 PM EDT
My range is right behind my house, so I have all of my firearms ready whenever I want them. It sure is nice living out in the country! Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:20:45 PM EDT
I have a tendency to over equip and under frequent... It makes cleaning an absolute bitch of a chore. I'll be heading out to the ranges this week and will make every attempt to keep the whole thing to a minimum so as to maximize my time there. Does that make sense?? In other words; take less; shoot mo' betta!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:21:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:25:52 PM EDT
All depends on what I plan on doing at the range; I always plan on working on some technique when I am there. Most of the time it's between 2-4 firearms and about 500- 600 rounds combined.
Top Top