Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 1:03:23 PM EDT
i am interested in peoples opinions on this.  does something to the barrel/cyl and improves shot group and recoil...anyone ever use it?

www.vangcomp.com

what i dont understand though is this statement here:

"Also, the ports reduce muzzle flash, which in turn helps to retain night vision and keep the shooters location less conspicuous in low light conditions"

i thought that porting increase your loss of night vision...

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of Hans' Mossberg 590A1 shotguns. I LOVE it. While I have nothing else to compare it to, everything I've ever read give his modifications the highest marks. Plus he's a fun guy to talk to!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I sent in the barrel of my 590 for treatment about 1 year ago, after having used it pre-treatment for about 2 years.  The treated 590 had reduced recoil, patterned tighter and with improved shot uniformity across the pattern.  I highly recommend it.  The statement regarding muzzle flash is a mystery to me as well, but I have not found it problematic.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Have a 590 VC.

Got it for 3 gun. Porting keeps the muzzle down. Very fast for a pump gun. Thus far I done better that the  majority of the auto crowd. I use bird shot, b/c the pattern is so tight it rocks the poppers hard - even shots that are slightly off.

Within 3" at 100 yrds with slugs. Offhand, chest sized targets are easy money at 150. One ragged hole at 50 yrds

Very tight pattern on the buck. Patterning the weapon has been interesting. Thus far it like PMC the best (even over Fed Tac. Buck).

Call Hans - nice guy. He is more than willing to talk to you and answer all of your questions. Esp about 870 vs 590. In the end - "do you like ford or chevy"?

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
wow, thats nice

how long was the barrel on that mossberg?
18 or 20?

anyone have experiences with the rem 870's?

thanks again

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Call Hans and pick his brain. Here was my experience:

18 vs 20 - I thought it would be best to have the extra ammo. He generally makes them in 18" b/c they swing faster. In a 590 18", using a speedfeed stock, side saddle and a + 1 tube - total capacity is 17 rounds. The extra 2" + the extra ammo out at the end of the muzzle does make it slower on the swing - no question.

870 vs 590: I think I asked him more questions about this than anything else. I mean an 870 IS the industry standard, right? The 870 through Hans is also more $$. I wanted to know why and which was "better". He said "do you like ford or chevy?". He did state that the reason why the 870's were more money was because he had to do more work to them.

Secondly, he said that although it would most likely never be an issue - 870's unlike 590s silver sodder many parts together. 590s screw them together. Therefore, *in the event* that a part broke on an 870, it would need to be sent back to Remington because that part group would need to be silver soddered back together. Mossy - screw off broken part, order, screw on new part. Now -how often does either break -never.

Other considerations for me on 590 vs 870 - value:

ghost ring sights: 590 - standard, 870 -extra $ (Ghost ring sights are a must have)
parkerized: 590 - standard, 870 - extra $
Heavy Barrel: 590 - standard,  870 - N/A

One last thing to think about: do you prefer low ready or high ready position? I like high - faster / more natural shouldering motion. If you like a pistol gripped shoulder stock (necessitates low ready position) you need to get an 870. Why? The safety on the Mossy is on top of the receiver - thus you would have to remove your trigger hand from the pistol grip to snick the safety off - way slower in 3 gun (or crunch time).

This was my experience in purchasing a Vang weapon to meet my needs as a 3 gunner. Your needs and experience may differ. YMMV.

Call Hans.

ps - I want to make it clear - Hans did not show a preference toward an 870 or a 590. I bought a 590 b/c it was cheaper when all was said and done. The ergonomics sucked - first thing I did when I got it was hack the stock 1.5" (I'm 6'2" btw). I think either way (870 / 590) it really doesn't matter - except for the low ready vs high ready / safety / pistol gripped shoulder stock.

good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top