Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2001 7:59:15 PM EDT
 This evening at 8:00 I was heading down to my local gas station in my 1993 Jeep Cherokee. Crossing an intersection on a green light, I was creamed from the front driver's side by a red BMW who ran his red light at breakneck speed, rendering my once perfect car undriveable and minorly injuring my hip (by his speed alone I was lucky I wasn't real messed up). The offending car proceeded to stop for a second to stare and then sped off into the night, pursued by a fellow local who managed to point him out to a police officer who then stopped and apprehended him. Here's where it gets good. This was a second vehicle that we kept only liability insurance on (we are not rich people). The hit and run driver? A Mexican illegal immigrant with no insurance. He has been charged with Hit and Run, Failure to Observe Traffic Signal, Leaving the Scene Of an Accident, and Failure to Maintain Proper Insurance. Where does that leave me? With a totaled car and a hospital bill for ER admittance, 6 X-Rays, and a Doctor's Examination as well as 2 prescriptions to fill. I have a 1000.00 deductible on my med insurance. Translation? I'm out about $8000 because this piece of you-know-what chose to come to my country illegally and break the law. If he for some reason should choose to go to the hospital, He will be treated as an indigent and you and I all pick up the tab, brothers and sisters. If there is an attorney among you that has any answers I am all ears. I HATE illegal aliens. I HATE ILLEGAL ALIENS.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Sue to seize his car to at least recoupe something, even though I assume his car is damaged.  He might have other assets you can go after too if he has a car.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad news, bud. As soon as the cops release him, and they will, he's gone. Don't think you can prevent it, either. Some attorneys will give a quick and free phone consult to see if you have a case. Its worth a shot. Other bad news is you're gonna hurt worse over the next several days before you get better. Best of luck, though it may not sound like it. I've seen this kind of shit too many times before.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
That's why I pay [b]$13.50[/b] every six months for un-insured/under-insured insurance. Here in California 25% of the drivers and a larger percent of the people involved in accidents are undocumented uninsured people.

I would think that Iowa would offer the same uninsured insurance at a bit less than $13.50 for six months. Never drive an uninsured car unless you can afford to lose it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
 This evening at 8:00 I was heading down to my local gas station in my 1993 Jeep Cherokee. Crossing an intersection on a green light, I was creamed from the front driver's side by a red BMW who ran his red light at breakneck speed, rendering my once perfect car undriveable and minorly injuring my hip (by his speed alone I was lucky I wasn't real messed up). The offending car proceeded to stop for a second to stare and then sped off into the night, pursued by a fellow local who managed to point him out to a police officer who then stopped and apprehended him. Here's where it gets good. This was a second vehicle that we kept only liability insurance on (we are not rich people). The hit and run driver? A Mexican illegal immigrant with no insurance. He has been charged with Hit and Run, Failure to Observe Traffic Signal, Leaving the Scene Of an Accident, and Failure to Maintain Proper Insurance. Where does that leave me? With a totaled car and a hospital bill for ER admittance, 6 X-Rays, and a Doctor's Examination as well as 2 prescriptions to fill. I have a 1000.00 deductible on my med insurance. Translation? I'm out about $8000 because this piece of you-know-what chose to come to my country illegally and break the law. If he for some reason should choose to go to the hospital, He will be treated as an indigent and you and I all pick up the tab, brothers and sisters. If there is an attorney among you that has any answers I am all ears. I HATE illegal aliens. I HATE ILLEGAL ALIENS.
View Quote

That sucks bro!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
First of all: You're screwed.
Not having insurance for something like this is the same as people I know who don't own guns. $^!t happens and you just gotta be prepared for it. If I only had liability I think I'd be driving a lot more defensively and be dodging other cars no matter who had the right-of-way.

Second of all: Sue the INS. It's there fault that some illegal is running around on our streets. Good luck with that one though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top