Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 1:15:08 PM EDT
Pakistani Border Police fought a two hour battle with a small force of Taliban troops trying to infiltrate into Pakistan.

How many have they missed? Friday could be very interesting in Pakistan.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Pakistani, Taliban Troops Reportedly Clash

By MUNIR AHMAD
.c The Associated Press

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (Oct. 10) - Pakistani soldiers fought a two-hour gunbattle with about 30 Taliban fighters who tried to flee into Pakistan to escape the U.S. bombing, Pakistani defense and intelligence officials said Wednesday.

It was the second time that Taliban forces have moved into Pakistan since the U.S.-led bombing campaign began Sunday night to destroy Osama bin Laden's terrorist network in Afghanistan, the officials said on condition of anonymity.

On Monday, Taliban pilots flew five helicopters across the border about 18 miles north of Torkham, where they were detained by Pakistani authorities, the officials said.

The Pakistani foreign ministry denied the report about the helicopters. However, three Pakistani officials from different ministries insisted the report was correct.

The gun battle took place Tuesday at the Nawanpas border check post near the Afghan city of Jalalabad, the defense and intelligence sources said.

Pakistani paramilitary troops guarding the border saw about 30 Taliban soldiers trying to cross into Pakistani territory - presumably to escape the U.S. bombing in the nearby Jalalabad area.

The Pakistanis signaled the Afghans to turn back and fired warning shots in the air. The Taliban returned fire and the exchange went on for about two hours before the Afghans withdrew, the sources said.

It was unclear whether anyone was wounded.

Such incursions are not uncommon along the rugged, poorly marked border area. However, Pakistan has stepped up security in wake of the crisis which began after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in the United States, which Washington and its allies blame on bin Laden.

Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf has given support to the U.S.-led campaign to apprehend bin Laden despite strong opposition from Islamic religious movements in this Muslim country of 145 million people.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
3 years ago, I got assigned to do a 30 page report on India.
I was like "Why in gods name India?!?! I have NO! interest in India.."

Did the report, and was fascinated by that land.
Pakistan plays a huge part becasue it is the adopted homeland of Indias muslim population.

Thing is, if India is on our side, I don't worry. They are a super efficient millitary force, with a population second only to China.
My hope is- an Islamic attack against India. Cement Indias support for the Alliance- make them take a very very active role.
India is critical here. Big time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The Taliban could attack us first if many Taliban troops cross undetected. I hope this is something they, US troops in Pakistan, have considered and prepared for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top