Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2001 11:34:03 AM EDT
Which is better keeping in mind that the rifle will primarily be a traget/varmint gun. How about just mounting a scope on the carry handle- is this a viable alternative? I am currently actively looking for an upper for my bushy lower and am having a VERY hard time deciding, so I figured I would ask the resident experts here. Thanks and remember: Waste enemies, not ammuntion!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say flattop, just for the versatility. You can use the carry handle to mount a scope, but that puts it up pretty high above the optimal stock weld firing position. Also, if you have to use your varmint AR for something a little more close-in, you just throw the quick release on your scope mount and you can drop your A2 carry handle on for iron sights, or go to your already-mounted-and-zeroed ACOG.

Good luck with it, whichever way you go.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]
What about flat top with a removable carry handle?  I like to keep options open.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I would opt for a Bushmaster with the 24" match barrel and flat top. Make sure it has the flat top for the front sight as well. This will make for the best varmint rifle and also target if you can use a scope for the target shooting you plan on. You can always add the handle and front sight later, I think.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Check this one out:

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/lr-24v.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have owned several flattops and my recomendation is as follows....

-----------------------------------------------

If you plan to primarily use a scope, then the flattop is the better way to go.

I say this as your scope is lower to the barrel for better coorelation between your bullet flight and the view through your scope.  I really like the thought of having backup sights for a survival/assault weapon so I would look at some type of flip up sights that would work with your gun and scope but that is just me I guess?

-----------------------------------------------

If you are planning to primarily use open sights, the the A2 upper is the way to go!

I don't like the removable sights systems and the carry handle has huge knobs that just get in the way.  The Fixed carry handle provides a very robust system that is less likely to get dammaged and you won't loose it when you mount a scope.  To mount a scope on an A2 upper, just use one of the carry handle scope mounts with a delta piece and the accuracy is great!  The A2 sights are VERY accurate and offers far more adjustment than any sight system that you can mount on a flattop upper.

----------------------------------------------

So what do I have, my M-16 and AR-15 both have A2 fixed carry handles while my AR-10 has a flattop.  I don't have backup sights for the AR-10 yet but I will soon.  Oh yea, this is just one person's oppinion and on this forum there are a whole lot of those!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top