Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2007 4:45:18 PM EDT
I wanna blow the shit out of an inconviently located boulder on our ranch. It's too deep in the trees to move it with a Bobcat, so the easiest solution is to blow it out of the way.

Where would I go to get dynamite, what sort of requirements (i.e., beyond my driver's license) are there, etc.?
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not just use a few pounds of tannerite?  You can buy the ingredients for cheap on eBay.

You probably need a license to buy dynamite.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.atf.gov/explarson/safexpact/documents/generalqa.pdf

may answer a few of your questions.  Looks like you would have to obtain a "limited permit" from the BATFE, only for use in-state, and a limit on 6 purchases per year.  On-site checks of explosives storage at least once every 3 years, etc etc.

ETA most of the pdf...

Requirement for all persons who wish to receive explosive
materials to hold a Federal explosives license or permit:

This part of the Safe Explosives Act requires that all persons receiving explosive
materials on and after the effective date, obtain a Federal explosives
license or permit, and creates an additional type of permit, the “limited
permit,” that will authorize the holder to receive explosive materials
only within her/his State of residence on no more than six separate
occasions during the one-year term of the permit.

Prior to its enactment date, only persons who transport, ship, or receive explosive
materials in interstate commerce were required to obtain a “user
permit.” The “user permit” authorizes the holder to receive explosive
materials in interstate commerce, and does not establish a limit on
receipts of explosive materials during the three- year term of the permit.
Accordingly, persons whose operations may exceed the allowances authorized by the “limited permit” should consider obtaining a “user permit.”

(2) New Required Industry Information for More Thorough ATF
Background Checks:

ATF must approve an explosives license or permit application if,
among other things, the applicant is not prohibited from possessing explosives. Responsible persons (e.g., facility site managers, corporate officers) will now be required to
submit to ATF identifying information, fingerprints, and photographs.
Employees of licensees and permittees who are authorized to possess
explosive materials in the course of their employment must submit
only identifying information. ATF must issue “letters of clearance”
for those responsible persons and possessor employees who are not
prohibited from possessing explosives. If ATF determines that a
responsible person or employee is, or may be, subject to an explosives
prohibition, ATF must provide specific information to the prohibited
person (e.g., advise of appeal procedures) and notifies the employer of
the denial. This new provision is significant, as all employees
possessing explosive materials for purposes of their employment will
have to undergo a background check conducted by ATF. (SEE
LICENSES AND PERMITS QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS.)

(3) Inspections:

Generally, ATF will have to perform on-site inspections
of all ATF licensees and permittees at least once every three calendar
years to determine compliance with Federal explosives storage
regulations.
§ For user permits and licensees, ATF must verify, by on-site
inspection, that new applicants and renewal applicants have places of
storage for explosive materials that meet the standards of safety and
security set forth in the regulations.
§ For new applicants for limited permits, ATF is not required to
conduct an on-site inspection of places of storage. Instead, ATF may
verify, by inspection or other appropriate means, that there is
acceptable storage. For the first and second renewal of limited
permits, ATF may continue to verify storage by other appropriate
means. However, if an on-site inspection has not been conducted
during the previous three years, ATF must, for the third renewal and at
least once every three years after that renewal, verify by on-site
inspection that the limited permittee has acceptable places of storage.

2. Who is affected by the Safe Explosives Act?

The new law will affect all current Federal explosives licensees and permittees,
responsible persons, and employees authorized by those licensees and permittees
to possess explosives in the course of their employment.
It will also affect anyone who wishes to receive or possess explosives in interstate
or intrastate commerce. (SEE LICENSES AND PERMITS QUESTIONS AND
ANSWERS.)

May a licensed manufacturer, importer, or dealer distribute explosive
materials to non-licensees and non-permittees under the Safe Explosives Act?

No. Under the Safe Explosives Act, everyone who wishes to receive explosive
materials mus t first obtain a Federal license or permit. This provision does not go
into effect until May 24, 2003, so non-licensees and non-permittees generally will
be able to receive explosives until that time. (SEE LICENSES AND PERMITS
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS.)
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried dynamiteRus.com?
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Boulder.

Right.

Checked the yellow pages for demo companies? Seriously.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
prolly cheaper just to hire someone to come out and 'shoot' it. sometimes when we run sewer line we run into rock. a guy comes out in a truck, drills holes in the rock, puts in the charge (may not be dynamite for all i know), packs it in and detonates it. it shatters the rock, you go in and dig it out. in your case i assume you wanna break it up so's you can move it. you dont wanna launch the thing into space do you? not knowing for sure where it will come down and all..

Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
i dont' know how to get the stuff but please post pics

Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Mostly I want to bury explosives under one edge of it so that the explosion rolls it down the hill and out of the way. Can't exactly do that with tannerite; it isn't powerful enough nor is it convenient to detonate for practical purposes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you want to move it or break it up?   If you want to get up out of its spot, I would think that ANFO would do the trick.  If you want to turn it into gravel, you will need a much higher order explosion, and I don't think that dynamite would do the trick (without drilling).

Comp B in a shaped charge should make it smaller.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
It might be possible with tannerite, but a pain in the ass.  It might work to bury the mass load of tannerite charge with a tube (garden hose or something) filled with tannerite leading up and out of the ground.  At that point, continuing the tube to an appropriately sized target.  I'm not sure if the tannerite-filled tube would act like an improvised detcord or not, carrying the detonation shockwave from the target down to the main charge.  If you're rich and bored, do it an post pics/video.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mostly I want to bury explosives under one edge of it so that the explosion rolls it down the hill and out of the way. Can't exactly do that with tannerite; it isn't powerful enough nor is it convenient to detonate for practical purposes.

this is tannerite just w/ a little extra help

Not my video

Keep in mind this is only 400g
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I would love to tell you BUT...
To remain jail free...Hire a Blaster to demo it for you...
Nice and legal
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I know that one of my friends can get some for use on the farm(mainly for beaver dams and whatnot).  You might want to ask around...........
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Check yellow pages for demo, or  construction.

Demo, though fun, might be more expensive or hassle than getting a  piece of heavy equipment to move the rock.

Oh - and I think you'll find actual 'dynamite' is more expensive than many other available commercial explosives.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
How big is this rock?  I've busted up some pretty large rocks here in Tennessee by building a hot fire on and around them.  It took me a few days; building one fire each day out of cedar limbs but the limestone popped and cracked into pieces about the size of basketballs and smaller.

But if you want something to go boom, you can get by with a standard hammer drill and some black powder. Whittle the thing down, one slab at a time.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#16]
As others have mentioned just get a professional demo company in there... what won't move with your bobcat may well move with a larger piece of machinery.

Not nearly as much fun as explosives though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my video

If you're close enough to see your own explosion, you're too close.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Boulder.

Right.

Checked the yellow pages for demo companies? Seriously.
 It will be cheaper to have demo company do it and you need to drill hole in the rock and stem it up to make it work. I work in a mine Or you could rent a jack hammer that the least fun but under $200 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#19]
The pyramids and Stonehenge were built without explosives and heavy equipment (except maybe UFO's, depending on who you ask). If you just wanna roll it down the hill, a little old fashioned leverage might do the trick
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#20]
There are illegals you can hire to do this kind of thing........
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
It's not that a Bobcat is too small to move it, it's that the Bobcat can't physically GET to the boulder because of all the trees. We don't want to cut down the trees in that area.

Screw it. Obviously blasting the thing is going to be too much of a hassle. And I sooooo wanted to blow shit up.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Pyrodex?
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted: Where can I (legally) get my hands on some dynamite?
I wanna blow the shit out of an inconviently located boulder on our ranch. It's too deep in the trees to move it with a Bobcat, so the easiest solution is to blow it out of the way.

Where would I go to get dynamite, what sort of requirements (i.e., beyond my driver's license) are there, etc.?

Quoted:

It would be simpler and easier to carefully undermine the downhill side just enough to use leverage.  That's assuming there's nothing in its way that you care about.  You may just find that it's a lot bigger than you thought. Hiring the job out is even better, but maybe you should ask the contractor to provide a copy of their ATF license and a certificate of insurance.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#25]
drill a hole into the boulder and get your hands on some solidox very easy (welding supply) 6 sticks to a box 97.5% oxygen crush it with a dole rod or other and mix it in a 1:1/2 mixture of solidox:magnesium powder.

if you use the whole box its the equivelant to about 3 sticks of dynamite. we used it to blow up a car and magnolia stumps.

and if you know how to make an eletronic igniter use that and backfill the hole concrete or other method and get the fuck away
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#26]
You can buy ANFO binary mix easily for agricultural use.  The problem comes in because you cannot buy partial amounts. Full cases of blasting caps, ANFO, and det cord. It get's VERY pricey. We only used 1/3 of what we bought to blast a septic field and the rest essentially went to waste.

Daynamite has all sorts of licensing/transport issues.  

You do realize that even with binary the trees are going to go away too right?
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
and if you know how to make an eletronic igniter use that a

Simple igniter like those used on model rockets but made bigger should do the trick.  They are easy to make.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#28]
he wants to blow the fuck out of this rock.

How does that equate into "hiring illegals" or "contracting"?  Blowing stuff on your property is legal, unless I am mistaken.

Let's help him blow that rock up.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#29]
What about a few pounds of black powder?
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#30]
What ? Page 2, and no one said it yet ?

"HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS !"

Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........what's at the bottom of the hill if you don't mind me asking.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Serious question for anyone who knows - I was reading that ATF link, and it looks like you could get a "limited user permit" for six purchases per year of explosives.  Why can't a person just get one of those, build a little magazine that complies with federal regs, and keep a little powder around?  Not for any nefarious purpose, but come on - any red-blooded American man likes to blow shit up.  Daniel Tanner has made good money proving that proposition

Do any of the commercial explosives distributors sell to limited permittees?  I have a good friend who is LE EOD, and he's always getting flyers from these people (Buy two rolls of 200 gram det cord, get the third one FREE!)
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#33]
There's definately a legal way to get it , since you own a ranch , it'll be for AG use ,and therefore you have a  legitimate reason to buy it....I know a individual who complies with federal regs, and actively keeps 3-4 full cases of dynamite on his farm for use....Fun stories of him almost dying ,and blowing crap up (One time he put a abandoned house 200 feet in the air by positioning sticks of dynamite every 5 feet around the perimieter of the home.

I don't think anyone is getting the intention of the post : The guy wants to blow stuff up HIMSELF!

Why hire a company when you can do it yourself ? Sure it might be cheaper , but it definately won't be as fun!
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Whatever method you use - be sure to post pics!
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Pics are a must!

Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There's definately a legal way to get it , since you own a ranch , it'll be for AG use ,and therefore you have a  legitimate reason to buy it....I know a individual who complies with federal regs, and actively keeps 3-4 full cases of dynamite on his farm for use....Fun stories of him almost dying ,and blowing crap up (One time he put a abandoned house 200 feet in the air by positioning sticks of dynamite every 5 feet around the perimieter of the home.

I don't think anyone is getting the intention of the post : The guy wants to blow stuff up HIMSELF!
Why hire a com
pany when you can do it yourself ? Sure it might be cheaper , but it definately won't be as fun!

Well no shit!  Not much more fun than a high order kaBOOM!
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#37]

high order kaBOOM!

How about an "Earth-shattering kaboom?"

</marvin the martian>
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my video

If you're close enough to see your own explosion, you're too close.

Kharn

I love after the countdown in (German?) and the explosion, you hear the guy sort of groan "fawwwwk"  under his breath!
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
http://www.atf.gov/explarson/safexpact/documents/generalqa.pdf

Good post. One of the reasons I let my IL blaster's card expire. I need to renew it and also get an ATF FEL.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It's not that a Bobcat is too small to move it, it's that the Bobcat can't physically GET to the boulder because of all the trees. We don't want to cut down the trees in that area.

Screw it. Obviously blasting the thing is going to be too much of a hassle. And I sooooo wanted to blow shit up.
gatlingguns.com/rimscarecrow.asp This the stuff you want IM sent
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my video

So what was the powder he added? I assume the liquid was a fuel oil of some type? Where can you get HMTD detonators, better yet, what does HMTD stand for? It looked like it was packed in a drinking straw of some type....

S.O.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#42]
You do not want to "Get your hands on it" use fluid proof gloves, that Nitroglycerin soaks through your skin you are in a world of Poo!
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Do any of the commercial explosives distributors sell to limited permittees?  

I would like to get some DET cord to keep on hand....Not sure why, I just want some.

S.O.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You do not want to "Get your hands on it" use fluid proof gloves, that Nitroglycerin soaks through your skin you are in a world of Poo!

Headache, right?

My gramps took Nitroglycerin capsules for his heart.   Says they gave him a wicked headache.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
So if you own land and are using the explosive for farm use (blowing up stumps and the like) is it legal to own?

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
It's not really a ranch, we just call it that; it's more of a large deer lease on the side of a hill than anything else.

Okay, so dynamite is apparently out. What can I use that doesn't require a license or special transportation/storage requirements that will blow the shit out of this thing? Black powder and cannon fuse probably ain't gonna cut it.

Just how big a rock are we talking here?
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Just rent some Central Americans, the government doesn't care.  The only bad thing is you may make some liberals happy if you pay them well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
It's not really a ranch, we just call it that; it's more of a large deer lease on the side of a hill than anything else.

Okay, so dynamite is apparently out. What can I use that doesn't require a license or special transportation/storage requirements that will blow the shit out of this thing? Black powder and cannon fuse probably ain't gonna cut it.

It's not as simple as that unless you can get the local military base to call in an airstrike. It's an engineering problem just like the demolition of a building. No simple surface explosive with crush it into gravel except for the air strike. You will need to drill it for the explosives. Otherwise if you place explosives behind or under it, you'll simply move it. You could host a machinegun shoot with the boulder being the target
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Personally, if it's a deer lease I would not spend the $$ on someone else's property.  If it's of any size the explosive is going to remove the trees you want to save right along with the boulder in any case.

You can always roll it down the hill with a bottle jack.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd say your best bet is tannerite

13.5lbs is a hell of an explosion, it damn near erased that car
13.5lbs tannerite

If you make it yourself that works out to about $6-7.

here is a 5gal bucket of tannerite
5gal tannerite

or you could use 100 tons of HE
100 tons of HE

ETA: Or you could make a bunch of ANFO and detonate it with a small tannerite charge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top