Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2001 9:07:23 AM EDT
...the more they stay the same.

This is a section of a letter written by 1Lt. Thomas Meehan, III -- Easy Company, 506th PIR, 101st Infantry Division on May 26th, 1944.

---
We're fortunate in being Americans. At least we don't step on the underdog. I wonder if that's because there are no "Americans" -- only a stew of immigrants; or if it's because the earth from which we exist has been so kind to us and our forefathers; or if it's because the "American" is the offspring of the logical European who hated oppression and loved freedom beyond life? Those great mountains and the tall timber; the cool deep lakes and broad rivers; the green valleys and white farmhouses; the air, the sea and wind; the plains and great cities; the smell of living -- all must be the cause of it. And yet, with all that, we can't get away from the rest. For everyone of our millions who has that treasure in his hand there's another million crying for that victory of life. And for each of us who wants to live in happiness and give happiness, there's another different sort of person wanting to take it away.

Those people always manage to have their say, and Mars is always close at hand. We know how to win wars. We must learn now to win peace. Stick our noses in the affairs of the world. Learn politics as well as killing. Make the world accept peace whether they damn well like it or not. Here is the dove, and here is the bayonet. May we never see the day again that "World Peaceways" and like organizations dull our senses and make us anything but realists. If I ever have a son, I don't want him to go through this again, but I want him powerful enough that no one will be fool enough to touch him. He and America should be strong as hell and kind as Christ. That's the only insurance until human nature becomes a tangible thing that can be adjusted and made workable.
---

1Lt. Thomas Meehan, III died (along with 16 other E-company paratroopers) early on the morning of the 6th of June in a C-47 that was shot down by German AA over St. Mere-Eglise.

Thank you to all the brave citizen soldiers who paid the ultimate price to keep us free.  

Thanks in advance to the men and women who will pay that price in our current war.

- CD
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#1]
thanks, good reading.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Small edit.  1Lt Meehan was part of the 2nd battalion staff of the 506th PIR not actually part of Easy company as such.

- CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top