Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2001 2:46:48 PM EDT
I've been thinking of getting an AR-15 and have settled on the shorty's.  I was thinking of a 16" barrel but I'm not sure about the AK muzzle break.  Does it make a difference?  If it's just a show piece I think I would opt for the plain heavy barrel without the funky attachments. I've been looking at the Bushmasters on the Internet.  Are they any good and is there someone else that is better?  I like the retractable stocks (post ban since pre ban aint available anymore) but is there any advantage to the regular stock?  Do you recommend the removeable carry handle or not.  I don't know if I would care to put an aim point on it.  Thanks.
-Four-Aces
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with Bushmaster. Armalite are nice but not worth the price IMHO. DPMS and RRA are also good as well as Cavalry. the brake makes the gun look beter in my opinion, but makes it unbearably loud, and turns it into a de-facto flame thrower. Also if your into a M4gery check out a LEGP, but I'm not sure if they are still avalible to order.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
One Word: BUSHMASTER.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome, Bushmasters are great, muzzle brakes are loud, in my opinion you are better off with a standard stock than with a permanatly extended retractable stock unless you are going for the cool looks or to shave a little weight. The removeable carry handle is a good idea if you think you might ever want to put some kind of optics on it. That is definatly something to consider.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Bushmaster Dissipator A3 with front sight and A2 sight handle.
TeleStyle stock to save weight.
Redi-Mag extra mag holder.
Hogue grip.
No muzzle attachments; get the clean muzzle and you will keep the flash down with low flash ammo.  You will be able to clean the crown of the bbl.
This is the Carbine from Hell.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Most people like Bushmaster, but do take a lot at Rock River Arms([url]http://www.rockriverarms.com[/url]. They are a small company, but they make quality AR's. Mine is wonderful, and I love it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster.

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com[/url]

I've tried the 16" Bush shorty with AK & it shoots very well...with the AK muzzle break it is VERY loud & the blast can be felt to the sides...but very little muzzle flip because of it.

I like muzzle breaks but be certain to wear BOTH earplugs & earmuffs when at the range...it is MUCH louder!!!

You can't go wrong with a Bushmaster....

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
what the heck you need a brake on a .223 rifle for anyway??
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Armalite
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Four-Aces,
Go to a gun show or stop by a local gunshop and
pick a few differant models up.Get the feel of them.Yes the ak break is loud.I have a bushmaster shorty ak.I like it alot.Besides it has my wifes birthdate as its serial numbers.Pretty cool huh.Good luck on your future
purchase.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Besides it has my wifes birthdate as its serial numbers.Pretty cool huh.
View Quote

I bet THAT was a huge selling point.

Where did you order that one. I need one marked "12-15-74"

HAHA LOL

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
From a guy that bought an Bushy with a muzzle brake, I can say this...get a plain barrel.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Buy Bush
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replys.  I have one more question.  I've settled on the Bushmaster with the 16" barrel, no muzzle brake, flat top.  I'm not crazy about the plastic handguard and would like to replace it with one of the nicer aluminum ones, maybe with the groves in it.  Also would like to replace the grip with something nicer.  Is this stuff things I can do myself or do I have to have a gunsmith to it?
Thanks  
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replys.  I have one more question.  I've settled on the Bushmaster with the 16" barrel, no muzzle brake, flat top.  I'm not crazy about the plastic handguard and would like to replace it with one of the nicer aluminum ones, maybe with the groves in it.  Also would like to replace the grip with something nicer.  Is this stuff things I can do myself or do I have to have a gunsmith to it?
Thanks  
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From a guy that bought an Bushy with a muzzle brake, I can say this...get a plain barrel.  
View Quote

Why?  You guys trip me out (not just you Flip, but all the this guns too loud crowd)!  What else do you shoot besides .223?  Pop guns?

I have a Shorty AK and it is indeed louder than a 20" preban, but it is not at all a "problem".  I've fired it from a confined area while I inadvertently left off my hearing protection and, while it will get you attention, it is no louder that a MBR caliber like .308 or 30.06.

As far as the flamethrower criticisim you're going to get that with any post ban 16".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top