Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2001 2:50:29 PM EDT
Dropped by the local gunshop today to look around, and it was absolutely packed.

What surprised me most was the number of couples that were in there!  I counted at least 5 while I was there.  2 of the couples looked they were each purchasing their first guns, both a his and hers.  I was very impressed.  Many people left because the the wait to be helped was so long.  I kind of felt sorry for the guys behind the counter.   It was good to see that many people (including many liberals to the guy behind the counter) were out buying their first guns.

Now I just hope they all stay proficient and get the proper training, but it made me feel a little bit better anyway.  Thought things would have calmed down by now, boy was I wrong!

They were still pretty well stocked though!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I think a byproduct of the attacks will be an awakening of many do-gooders.
Good for our cause, but i'd still trade their "as-of-late" support to get the Twin Towers back.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The shops around here have been selling out of shotguns.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
We've experienced the same thing up here. Last Saturday I offered to jump behind the counter and answer general questions. The offer was appreciated and they said I'd make a welcome member to the team.... but I need to find a sitter for my 20 month old son. I am looking for a job as I've left the Army after 10 years of faithful service. I wonder how much they pay?
Anyhoot, It's too bad that it took something so tragic(sp?) to wake so many up. Hopefully it does our nation some good in the long-term.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]
if you bought anything, it had better be a kimber!!!!!!!!   [}:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if you bought anything, it had better be a kimber!!!!!!!!   [}:D]
View Quote

I think I've more than demonstrated the will power I have not to buy something everytime I go into a gun shop[^]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Hah, I went to the gunshop by my house the other day.  This is the shit I heard- man driving a very very nice mercedes, wearing armani/gucci everything, pulls up right as I am and we both entered at the same time, and went upstairs to the pistol/rifle area.  I always stop and look at the beretta's, since I have one, its just habit.  I start talking to a couple about mine, saying how its very reliable, accurate, and the whole deal, when this guy stops and says, "yeah, beretta 92FS...I got one in .45 and love it".  He then proceeds to go to the HK section, and tells the the clerk he is interested in an "ar 15", and a "usp tactical".  You may not see anything wrong wtih this, but instead of saying A-R-fifteen, try saying it "are 15", and instead of saying U-S-P tactical, call it an "usp".

SO he had a Beretta 92FS in .45, and wanted an "are 15" and an "usp tactical".

It took everything I had (as well as the clerk) to not start laughing in this guys face.

Oh, I also forgot, he apparantly also has a Desert Eagle in .45 as well.  

Hes got some pretty cool .45's, too bad they dont exist.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hah, I went to the gunshop by my house the other day.  This is the shit I heard- man driving a very very nice mercedes, wearing armani/gucci everything, pulls up right as I am and we both entered at the same time, and went upstairs to the pistol/rifle area.  I always stop and look at the beretta's, since I have one, its just habit.  I start talking to a couple about mine, saying how its very reliable, accurate, and the whole deal, when this guy stops and says, "yeah, beretta 92FS...I got one in .45 and love it".  He then proceeds to go to the HK section, and tells the the clerk he is interested in an "ar 15", and a "usp tactical".  You may not see anything wrong wtih this, but instead of saying A-R-fifteen, try saying it "are 15", and instead of saying U-S-P tactical, call it an "usp".

SO he had a Beretta 92FS in .45, and wanted an "are 15" and an "usp tactical".

It took everything I had (as well as the clerk) to not start laughing in this guys face.

Oh, I also forgot, he apparantly also has a Desert Eagle in .45 as well.  

Hes got some pretty cool .45's, too bad they dont exist.
View Quote

Which store was that?

Gee, he didn't expect some punk kid to know his stuff. [;)]
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Marksman,

That's too bad, you should have talked to him about the merits of a .50BMG as a long range weapon, the benefits of the FNC (Fabrique National Carbine) and the versatility of the Benelli M3.   (I think you got a chance to shoot all of them).

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup ...Hunting season is a comin'.
Every 'un who blamed that thar dang
gun fer missin all them whitetails
las year is out buyin' a newun.

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He then proceeds to go to the HK section, and tells the the clerk he is interested in an "ar 15", and a "usp tactical".  ".

View Quote

I stopped by a spoting goods store
just to get a cold drink from their cooler.
While I was there, a suit points to the USPs
and says, "Are those black ones 9mm???
I want one of those black ones in 9mm.
Can you order me one of those black ones in 9mm???"
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I am always a little nervous when first time buyers are motivated by some tragedy.  OK, I'm very nervous!  Don't get me wrong, I like folks purchasing firearms, but without proper training and/or experience... it just makes me nervous.  These are many of the folks who provide the horrid statistics...

I would much rather see first time buyers "dragging" along someone with experience to "help" them in their purchase.  Chances are, they will "drag" them out to give some instructions at the shooting range or desert...  I know people have to "drag" me out to help them.:-)

I guess the good thing to all this is that there will likely be some good bargains when the preceived threat is gone!  Kind of like the Y2K thing.

Fuatos
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
So many people buying guns for the first time. I hope they keep and maintain them, but if it's a case of liberal, first time, buyers, look for some good bargains in a year, or so.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife and I are sitting here laughing at this thread. We saw the same thing in Galyan's in Plainfield today and I was making the same comments to her.
"2 of the couples looked they were each purchasing their first guns, both a his and hers"
She just pointed out we must have looked the same way to others...Ray had a Pro CDP and an Ultra CDP out. BTW, ARLady, you'll be happy to know, the Missus won the coin toss. the Ultra is in lay-away for Christmas. For now I'll have to Glock on.... I did win 2 cases of Q3131A and a case of Q3131 as a consolation prize, though.[;)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We saw the same thing in Galyan's in Plainfield
View Quote

been in there a "few" times.  [:)]

BTW, ARLady, you'll be happy to know, the Missus won the coin toss. the Ultra is in lay-away for Christmas. For now I'll have to Glock on.... I did win 2 cases of Q3131A and a case of Q3131 as a consolation prize, though.[;)]
View Quote

cool beans.  just found out that he DID make a purchase while at the gun shop.  and it was the kimber.  lucky for him.  [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top