Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
2/23/2017 5:55:53 PM
Posted: 10/7/2001 11:36:51 AM EST
buying a preban upper because you want to build a preban gun but don't have the lower yet and only have one complete postban gun in your home. I have heard this discussed before but was wondering if storing the legally owned preban upper in your home away from the complete post ban gun until I can buy the preban lower would present a problem. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:40:38 AM EST
YOU CAN'T assemble a new rifle from pre-ban parts that were not a pre-ban rifle when sold. If you own a pre-ban rifle BOUGHT as a rifle, and the barrel/upper is replaced with another pre-ban ... that's legal. taking a bunch of pre-ban made parts that were parts and not a rifle is illegal. some of the more experienced guys here should be able to quote specific laws.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:40:54 AM EST
The lower is the "gun" The upper is just parts without it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:41:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2001 11:37:49 AM EST by raf]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 12:08:38 PM EST
Yes I understand the LOWER is the gun. I do know that. But I now understand what NoExpert said which i didn't know and that is that it is illegal to buy a complete preban upper and then go and buy a complete preban lower(UNLESS it was a COMPLETE gun before the ban). So I guess that is where documentation comes in saying it was a complete rifle. So you are better off buying a complete preban rifle I guess.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 12:30:36 PM EST
You can own as many pre-ban uppers as you want, even if you only have post-ban lowers. There is no law against this. An AR15 upper is not a firearm. It does not have a serial number on it. There are no laws or ATF rulings against this. Please don't get NFA laws/rulings mixed up with non-NFA firearms. The only time a pre-ban upper would become illegal is if you assembled an "defined assault weapon" using a post-ban lower and that pre-ban upper. Buy it if it is a good deal, just don't "mix and match" until you have your pre-ban lower.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:06:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By USNJoe: You can own as many pre-ban uppers as you want, even if you only have post-ban lowers. There is no law against this. An AR15 upper is not a firearm. It does not have a serial number on it. There are no laws or ATF rulings against this. Please don't get NFA laws/rulings mixed up with non-NFA firearms. The only time a pre-ban upper would become illegal is if you assembled an "defined assault weapon" using a post-ban lower and that pre-ban upper. Buy it if it is a good deal, just don't "mix and match" until you have your pre-ban lower.
View Quote
OK I understand that it is OK to buy the Preban upper and keep it in my home with my postban gun as long as i don't mix and match. But I don't understand your comment about confusing NFA laws with non-NFA laws. Did something I say in my response to NoExpert apply only to NFA guns. Sorry to be a pain, just want to get this right. Thanks
Top Top